Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Save us from cowboys...

I've been removing the fitted furniture in our bedroom. The room has
always been a bit short of sockets, so imagine my surprise when in the
wall behind the wardrobe was a pattress box, containing the ends of some
mains cable, wrapped in insulation tape. I didn't have a spare socket,
so I cursed a little, put a blanking plate over it and carried on.

It was only today when I was fitting the new socket I'd bought that it
suddenly occurred to me that two of the sections of the ring were joined
by insulation tape holding the conductors together, and had been for 15
years or so...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Champ" wrote in message

It was only today when I was fitting the new socket I'd bought that it
suddenly occurred to me that two of the sections of the ring were joined
by insulation tape holding the conductors together, and had been for 15
years or so...

Andy

Maybe the previous owner done it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-30 19:35:30 +0100, Andy Champ said:

I've been removing the fitted furniture in our bedroom. The room has
always been a bit short of sockets, so imagine my surprise when in the
wall behind the wardrobe was a pattress box, containing the ends of
some mains cable, wrapped in insulation tape. I didn't have a spare
socket, so I cursed a little, put a blanking plate over it and carried
on.

It was only today when I was fitting the new socket I'd bought that it
suddenly occurred to me that two of the sections of the ring were
joined by insulation tape holding the conductors together, and had been
for 15 years or so...

Andy

Did this spur you on to greater things?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"Andy Champ" wrote in message

It was only today when I was fitting the new socket I'd bought that it
suddenly occurred to me that two of the sections of the ring were joined
by insulation tape holding the conductors together, and had been for 15
years or so...

Andy

Maybe the previous owner done it?

Well, he was a bookmaker... but I think it was a pro job.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
Did this spur you on to greater things?

I'm sorry, I don't quite get the point of that remark

Seriously I can't even be bothered to chip out the box and put a double
in. It'll be handy for SWBO's bedside light though, rather than having
a flex from my side.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Andy Champ" wrote in message

It was only today when I was fitting the new socket I'd bought that it
suddenly occurred to me that two of the sections of the ring were

joined
by insulation tape holding the conductors together, and had been for 15
years or so...

Andy

Maybe the previous owner done it?

Well, he was a bookmaker... but I think it was a pro job.

Andy

Could have been h tosser who installed the wardrobes? because he could'nt
get wardrobe flush with wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
Did this spur you on to greater things?

I'm sorry, I don't quite get the point of that remark

Well I laughed. It's a pun. If you have to explain it, it's not funny.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

Could have been h tosser who installed the wardrobes? because he could'nt
get wardrobe flush with wall.

Whoever did it, I agree with your description of his character.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-30 19:35:30 +0100, Andy Champ said:

I've been removing the fitted furniture in our bedroom. The room has
always been a bit short of sockets, so imagine my surprise when in
the wall behind the wardrobe was a pattress box, containing the ends
of some mains cable, wrapped in insulation tape. I didn't have a
spare socket, so I cursed a little, put a blanking plate over it and
carried on.

It was only today when I was fitting the new socket I'd bought that
it suddenly occurred to me that two of the sections of the ring were
joined by insulation tape holding the conductors together, and had
been for 15 years or so...

Andy

Did this spur you on to greater things?

Socket to him Andy:-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Champ contains these words:

I've been removing the fitted furniture in our bedroom. The room has
always been a bit short of sockets, so imagine my surprise when in the
wall behind the wardrobe was a pattress box, containing the ends of some
mains cable, wrapped in insulation tape. I didn't have a spare socket,
so I cursed a little, put a blanking plate over it and carried on.

It was only today when I was fitting the new socket I'd bought that it
suddenly occurred to me that two of the sections of the ring were joined
by insulation tape holding the conductors together, and had been for 15
years or so...

My ancient hovel had been 'modernised' by the cowboy builder who had had
it before me and some of the electrics were very suspect. The fusebox
was just a three way affair with one ring main, one cooker outlet and
one lighting circuit.

The sockets in the kitchen (apart from the one on the cooker outlet)
were on a spur and used to misbehave on occasion. I eventually found the
junction and the reason why. The junction was buried in a huge block of
concrete that was the threshold of a new opening through a wall
upstairs. The ring main had been sliced open and the ends from the spur
just twisted quite loosely round the ring conductors and the whole
wrapped in insulation tape before being buried in concrete.

He had had some woodworking machinery in the barn but that too was on a
spur although that was at least off a junction box.

And I think I mentioned recently the earth wire from the fuse box that
terminated at a rusty nail.

Some of the wiring is still original but I think I have by now
eliminated all the nasties.

--
Roger Chapman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-30 20:55:33 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2008-03-30 19:35:30 +0100, Andy Champ said:

I've been removing the fitted furniture in our bedroom. The room has
always been a bit short of sockets, so imagine my surprise when in
the wall behind the wardrobe was a pattress box, containing the ends
of some mains cable, wrapped in insulation tape. I didn't have a
spare socket, so I cursed a little, put a blanking plate over it and
carried on.

It was only today when I was fitting the new socket I'd bought that
it suddenly occurred to me that two of the sections of the ring were
joined by insulation tape holding the conductors together, and had
been for 15 years or so...

Andy

Did this spur you on to greater things?

Socket to him Andy:-)

No need to saddle him with that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 21:09:28 +0100, Andy Hall

On 2008-03-30 20:55:33 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2008-03-30 19:35:30 +0100, Andy Champ said:

I've been removing the fitted furniture in our bedroom. The room has
always been a bit short of sockets, so imagine my surprise when in
the wall behind the wardrobe was a pattress box, containing the ends
of some mains cable, wrapped in insulation tape. I didn't have a
spare socket, so I cursed a little, put a blanking plate over it and
carried on.

It was only today when I was fitting the new socket I'd bought that
it suddenly occurred to me that two of the sections of the ring were
joined by insulation tape holding the conductors together, and had
been for 15 years or so...

Andy

Did this spur you on to greater things?

Socket to him Andy:-)

No need to saddle him with that.

You conduit if you try.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-30 20:55:33 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2008-03-30 19:35:30 +0100, Andy Champ said:

I've been removing the fitted furniture in our bedroom. The room has
always been a bit short of sockets, so imagine my surprise when in
the wall behind the wardrobe was a pattress box, containing the ends
of some mains cable, wrapped in insulation tape. I didn't have a
spare socket, so I cursed a little, put a blanking plate over it and
carried on.

It was only today when I was fitting the new socket I'd bought that
it suddenly occurred to me that two of the sections of the ring were
joined by insulation tape holding the conductors together, and had
been for 15 years or so...

Andy
Did this spur you on to greater things?
Socket to him Andy:-)

No need to saddle him with that.

You conduit if you try.

Now you all understand why I wasn't going to essay a sparky reply to Andy!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 2008-03-30 20:55:33 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2008-03-30 19:35:30 +0100, Andy Champ said:

I've been removing the fitted furniture in our bedroom. The room has
always been a bit short of sockets, so imagine my surprise when in
the wall behind the wardrobe was a pattress box, containing the ends
of some mains cable, wrapped in insulation tape. I didn't have a
spare socket, so I cursed a little, put a blanking plate over it and
carried on.

It was only today when I was fitting the new socket I'd bought that
it suddenly occurred to me that two of the sections of the ring were
joined by insulation tape holding the conductors together, and had
been for 15 years or so...

Andy
Did this spur you on to greater things?
Socket to him Andy:-)
No need to saddle him with that.

You conduit if you try.

Now you all understand why I wasn't going to essay a sparky reply to Andy!

Wire you all trying so hard?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"Andy Champ" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Andy Champ" wrote in message

It was only today when I was fitting the new socket I'd bought
that it suddenly occurred to me that two of the sections of the
ring were joined by insulation tape holding the conductors
together, and had been for 15 years or so...

Andy

Maybe the previous owner done it?

Well, he was a bookmaker... but I think it was a pro job.

Andy

Could have been h tosser who installed the wardrobes? because he
could'nt get wardrobe flush with wall.

Yep, that sounds likely - removed the socket, but didn't have terminal
blocks or crimps to make good properly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2008 20:31, newshound wrote:

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
Did this spur you on to greater things?

I'm sorry, I don't quite get the point of that remark

Well I laughed. It's a pun. If you have to explain it, it's not funny.

Whoosh!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
I've been removing the fitted furniture in our bedroom. The room has
always been a bit short of sockets, so imagine my surprise when in the
wall behind the wardrobe was a pattress box, containing the ends of
some mains cable, wrapped in insulation tape. I didn't have a spare
socket, so I cursed a little, put a blanking plate over it and
carried on.
It was only today when I was fitting the new socket I'd bought that it
suddenly occurred to me that two of the sections of the ring were
joined by insulation tape holding the conductors together, and had
been for 15 years or so...

A couple of weeks ago I did a days work for a regular client who left me a
key & a list of jobs. Last on the list - almost a p.s. was "refit double
socket on kitchen wall". New kitchen had been fitted.

Finished all the other jobs & looked at the socket. In the back box were
two lives in a chocky block, two neutrals in another chocky & two earths in
another, all neatly taped up. No problem, turned off the power, connected
the socket, turned the power back on to be rewarded by a huge bang.

The 30 amp cartridge fuse had blown, 4:50pm on a Friday night. Nearest
electrical wholesaler the other side of the Medway bridge. Drove like a
madman to get there before they closed, bought a couple of 30 amp fuses. By
the time I got back the client had arrived home from work.

"Any problems?" I explained about the socket, the big bang & my mad dash
across town.

"Oh, funny that - that's exactly what happened when the kitchen fiter tried
to connect it!"

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
[...]

Go on, keep us in suspense...

Did you fix it?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-31 01:44:26 +0100, John Rumm said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
[...]

Conductors transposed somewhere?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-31 01:44:26 +0100, John Rumm
said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
[...]

That would be my first guess...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
[...]

Nah! Obviously a faulty socket. I connected the wires back into the chocky
blocks & left it at that.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger (Roger ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

Some of the wiring is still original but I think I have by now
eliminated all the nasties.

Now, let me think back...

Lifted the floorboards above the hall light, saw that it was attached
with tape only, put floorboards back with that "Oh, gawd, this is going
to be fun - tomorrow..." feeling, turned the light on - and it just
flickered and fizzled. I'd not even TOUCHED the wires. Just looked at
'em...

Then there was the spur to the garden shed.

One length of lighting T&E, "protected by" a rubber hose pipe inside a
poured concrete retaining wall. The mini-ring round the shed was joined
at a 13A plug. Which was plugged into a socket. Which was connected to a
short length (about 2ft) of that really cheesy translucent-gold-covered
two-core lamp flex. Which had a plug at the other end. Which was plugged
into one of those three-way granny-burner plug & socket extension
thingies. You know the ones, the cube-shaped ones. Which had holes
drilled in the pins and was BOLTED TO the wire from the house... Then,
over the years, the whole mess (tucked behind the ply inner wall and the
"Genuine Lambretta" plastic parts bags used as insulation) had become
utterly overgrown with ivy.

Thank gawd the house end wasn't actually attached to anything any more.

Johnny America is Challenging "The Corporate Bush Whores" to a Presidential Debate - Save Our Souls "The most important recording YOU'LL ever hear." Save Our Souls - Bushite troops asked if they would MURDER Americans for the Phil L UK diy 0 February 13th 08 12:46 AM
Vaillant & Glowworm updated parts & Cowboys Yvonne UK diy 9 November 27th 07 05:49 PM
OT - Cowboys & the floods Don Spumey UK diy 48 July 10th 07 08:17 PM
F'in cowboys in2minds UK diy 3 July 16th 05 09:55 AM
SAVE kenil UK diy 0 August 22nd 04 08:48 AM