Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Depot rant

The lumber yard in my small town just went out of business and it will
be missed. I needed some new interior hollow core doors that I
normally would have bought at the lumber yard because their prices
were always competitive, their service excellent and they delivered
free of charge. Unfortunately, I had to look else where.

I ordered three doors on-line from Home Depot and had them shipped to
the store that is about 5 miles away. The doors were about $5 more per
door than the lumber yard charged. I elected not to have them shipped
directly to my house because the freight charge was more than the cost
of the doors! I will have to borrow or rent a truck to get them home
from the store adding to my cost.

About two and a half weeks later I was contacted by the Home Depot
store to let me know the doors were finally ready for pick up. I
arrived at the store, arranged to rent their truck and moved the truck
from Its' parking space to the door where I was to retrieve the doors
and was shocked at what I saw!

The doors were sitting on one of their carts with absolutely no
protective packaging what so ever. The edge of the veneer on all three
was damaged, there were black marks that may or may not have sanded
out before sanding through the veneer and there were gouges on two of
the three that were presumably caused by sliding something across the
doors. All in all, the doors were junk.

When I pointed this out the clerk asked, "Do you still want them?"

The last doors I got from the lumber yard, when delivered, had several
layers of cardboard packaging that protected them during shipment. I'm
surprised no one noticed the plume of smoke rising from my back yard
when I disposed of them.

Another 15 or 20 minutes later I was given a refund for the order and
a refund for the deposit on the truck rental. Now I'll have to order
the doors from another location for an even higher price.

Rant over.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Aug 2015 14:47:53 -0500, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

[...]

Good rant Sometimes you just have a bad day at the dungeon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gordon Shumway wrote in
:

Rant over.

I stopped going to Home Depot many years ago. No people on the floor to
help find things, poor after-purchase service (I bought a awamp cooler.
Blower motor dies a few weeks later. They wanted me to uninstall it and
bring it to them to replace motor. (I bought a new motor for far less than
uninstalling and moving cooler at Lowes))

Anyhow. Now I go to Lowes for all but small hardware items (HD is a lot
closer to me).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/2015 2:47 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

I ordered three doors on-line from Home Depot and had them shipped to
the store that is about 5 miles away.

The doors were sitting on one of their carts with absolutely no
protective packaging what so ever. The edge of the veneer on all three
was damaged, there were black marks that may or may not have sanded
out before sanding through the veneer and there were gouges on two of
the three that were presumably caused by sliding something across the
doors. All in all, the doors were junk.

When I went to my local Menards and ordered steel roofing panels and a
ridge cap to be shipped from their main warehouse to my local store
for pickup, they automatically added an "additional packaging" fee to
the invoice. I raised holy hell. The manager's spiel was that the
ordinary packaging they use when shipping these materials is
inadequate and could result in damage. He was certain I wanted to
ensure they came intact, thus I should be happy to pay extra for more
sturdy packaging. My counterpoint, naturally, was that proper
packaging for shipping is THEIR problem and THEIR cost to deal with,
not mine. After all, if the merchandise arrived damaged, I would
simply refuse it.

I wonder how many people fall for that ****.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/2015 1:41 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
[...]

So, did you still have to pay for the additional packaging fee?

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/2015 1:43 PM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

No, but after the yard manager was brought out, he had to authorize
voiding the invoice, then issue and authorize a new invoice without
the fee. Then he and I had to walk to the opposite end of the store
to customer service, who had to void the old invoice, ring the new
invoice, and collect my money. The number of employees whose time was
wasted by this inconvenience was five: two guys at the order desk, the
yard supervisor, the yard manager, and the customer service manager. I
was smokin' mad. Although my time was wasted, that stupid ploy cost
Menards plenty in wasted time and wages.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Depot rant center mass

Gordon Shumway posted for all of us...

The lumber yard in my small town just went out of business and it will
be missed.

Not if you aim right...

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/2015 2:28 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
[...]

Well, I bet next time they'll think twice about charging you for packing
fees.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 Aug 2015 14:28:21 -0500, Moe DeLoughan
wrote:

[...]

Good for you. I'd have done the same thing.