Posted to alt.home.repair
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default Home Depot rant

The lumber yard in my small town just went out of business and it will
be missed. I needed some new interior hollow core doors that I
normally would have bought at the lumber yard because their prices
were always competitive, their service excellent and they delivered
free of charge. Unfortunately, I had to look else where.

I ordered three doors on-line from Home Depot and had them shipped to
the store that is about 5 miles away. The doors were about $5 more per
door than the lumber yard charged. I elected not to have them shipped
directly to my house because the freight charge was more than the cost
of the doors! I will have to borrow or rent a truck to get them home
from the store adding to my cost.

About two and a half weeks later I was contacted by the Home Depot
store to let me know the doors were finally ready for pick up. I
arrived at the store, arranged to rent their truck and moved the truck
from Its' parking space to the door where I was to retrieve the doors
and was shocked at what I saw!

The doors were sitting on one of their carts with absolutely no
protective packaging what so ever. The edge of the veneer on all three
was damaged, there were black marks that may or may not have sanded
out before sanding through the veneer and there were gouges on two of
the three that were presumably caused by sliding something across the
doors. All in all, the doors were junk.

When I pointed this out the clerk asked, "Do you still want them?"

The last doors I got from the lumber yard, when delivered, had several
layers of cardboard packaging that protected them during shipment. I'm
surprised no one noticed the plume of smoke rising from my back yard
when I disposed of them.

Another 15 or 20 minutes later I was given a refund for the order and
a refund for the deposit on the truck rental. Now I'll have to order
the doors from another location for an even higher price.

Rant over.