Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 17.5 Briggs and Stratton

I have a 17.5 briggs and stratton intek on my craftsman push mower. Lol just joking of course. It's a rider. I am into old school and also having starter issues. Back in the day my grandpa had a boat engine that was electric start but one day we were stuck in the middle of the lake with a dead battery so he pulled the engine cover off and grabbed a piece of rope from under the seat and wrapped it around the flywheel and after a good jerk we were going again. I'm looking to do the same thing to my mower if I can find the right parts. I mostly need a pulley with a notch for wrapping a rope around. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 17:49:04 -0700 (PDT), ken baker
wrote:

I have a 17.5 briggs and stratton intek on my craftsman push mower. Lol just joking of course. It's a rider. I am into old school and also having starter issues. Back in the day my grandpa had a boat engine that was electric start but one day we were stuck in the middle of the lake with a dead battery so he pulled the engine cover off and grabbed a piece of rope from under the seat and wrapped it around the flywheel and after a good jerk we were going again. I'm looking to do the same thing to my mower if I can find the right parts. I mostly need a pulley with a notch for wrapping a rope around. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Post a photo of the flywheel - top and side views showing the top.
Post on a free hosting site and then the link back here. Show the
flywheel bolt for sure.

Then I might have a suggestion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a 17.5 briggs and stratton intek on my craftsman push mower. Lol just joking of course. It's a rider. I am into old school and also having starter issues. Back in the day my grandpa had a boat engine that was electric start but one day we were stuck in the middle of the lake with a dead battery so he pulled the engine cover off and grabbed a piece of rope from under the seat and wrapped it around the flywheel and after a good jerk we were going again. I'm looking to do the same thing to my mower if I can find the right parts. I mostly need a pulley with a notch for wrapping a rope around. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Post a photo of the flywheel - top and side views showing the top.
Post on a free hosting site and then the link back here. Show the
flywheel bolt for sure.

Then I might have a suggestion.

I tried to pull start a snow blower (maybe 8 HP) one
time, and didn't have the shoulder power for it. I
wonder how likely it is to pull start such an engine?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I remember hard to start B&S mower engines, Granddaddy had an electric
motor mounted on a board, pulley with a V-belt. Spin that motor until
is was adjusted and running, Beats hell out of pulling a rope. YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
news Then I might have a suggestion.

I tried to pull start a snow blower (maybe 8 HP) one
time, and didn't have the shoulder power for it. I
wonder how likely it is to pull start such an engine?

Depends on how the engine is set up. I have a 10 HP generator that is easy
to pull start. I never got into how it works,but some pull start engines
have a method of reducing the compression for easy pull starting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've "pull started" lot's of larger engines - like my 1928 Chevy, my
1949 VW, an O-200 airplane engine, and an old Massey Harris 44, "for
starters"
None with an actual rope, however..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Years ago, I remember an ad for an attachment for an electric drill that would spin up a lawnmower to start it. It was one of those ads in the back of Popular Science and Popular Mechanics magazines. I don't quite remember how it worked but it would be simple on a mower that used a rope starter. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Mower Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Because the starter rope on my tiller kept jamming , and because the motor
can be "difficult" to keep running when it's cold ... I cut a hole in the
top of the fan shroud , removed the rewind assembly , and drive the original
overrunning clutch with a socket in an adapter chucked in my battery drill .
I now cuss that machine a LOT less .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/12/2015 5:36 PM, Oren wrote:
I remember hard to start B&S mower engines, Granddaddy had an electric
motor mounted on a board, pulley with a V-belt. Spin that motor until
is was adjusted and running, Beats hell out of pulling a rope. YMMV

Had a lawn mower with Tecumseh engine, had exposed
flywheel nut. I used a drill, socket, and sawed
off a socket extension. Much easier than rewinding
the rope over and again.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 12, 2015 at 5:49:49 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
news Then I might have a suggestion.

I tried to pull start a snow blower (maybe 8 HP) one
time, and didn't have the shoulder power for it. I
wonder how likely it is to pull start such an engine?

Depends on how the engine is set up. I have a 10 HP generator that is easy
to pull start. I never got into how it works,but some pull start engines
have a method of reducing the compression for easy pull starting.

That is definitely true. As I reported here before, a neighbor
was having trouble starting his lawn tractor, where the starter
would engage, but not be capable of spinning it. After trying
to jump it directly to the starter with a new car battery, we
concluded it must be the starter. Wrong. He had Sears service
come fix it and they told him it needed a valve adjustment.
Which I took to mean that they have some kind of compression release
that's involved and the adjustment fixed that.

Thing I learned from that is if it looks like it's a bad
starter, make sure to remove the spark plug and see if it
will spin that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 08:34:50 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 7/12/2015 5:36 PM, Oren wrote:
I remember hard to start B&S mower engines, Granddaddy had an electric
motor mounted on a board, pulley with a V-belt. Spin that motor until
is was adjusted and running, Beats hell out of pulling a rope. YMMV

Had a lawn mower with Tecumseh engine, had exposed
flywheel nut. I used a drill, socket, and sawed
off a socket extension. Much easier than rewinding
the rope over and again.

You want to locktite or safety wire the flywheel nut though, because
when the engine starts and overtakes the drill-motor ir cam (and very
often does) take the nut off very quickly.

How do I know? BTDTGTTS
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 11:30:28 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

wrote:

On 7/12/2015 5:36 PM, Oren wrote:
I remember hard to start B&S mower engines, Granddaddy had an
electric motor mounted on a board, pulley with a V-belt. Spin that
motor until is was adjusted and running, Beats hell out of pulling
a rope. YMMV

Had a lawn mower with Tecumseh engine, had exposed
flywheel nut. I used a drill, socket, and sawed
off a socket extension. Much easier than rewinding
the rope over and again.

You want to locktite or safety wire the flywheel nut though, because
when the engine starts and overtakes the drill-motor ir cam (and very
often does) take the nut off very quickly.

How do I know? BTDTGTTS

That's why I left the overrunning clutch that useta be engaged by the rope
reel .

But on MOST engines (absolutely All I have seen/worked on), the
flywheel nut is beyond the recoil. It is right on the crankshaft, and
the recoil workis by gripping the inside of the "hub" which is
fastened to the flywheel/crankshaft by the nut, or with several small
bolts to the flywheel itself. What kind of engine were you able to use
the recoil over-running clutch on??? Just curious.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 7/12/2015 5:36 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

It's an older Briggs vertical shaft . The o/r clutch is part of the flywheel
nut . Might be easy to find the part number and see if it'll go in place of
the flywheel nut on other models ...

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 15:59:07 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 7/13/2015 1:32 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 12:58:10 -0400, Stormin Mormon
Had a lawn mower with Tecumseh engine, had exposed
flywheel nut. I used a drill, socket, and sawed
off a socket extension. Much easier than rewinding
the rope over and again.

I could feel the motor starting, and pull
the drill and socket off. Never was an issue.

Virtually every time I've tried it the FIRST power pulse of the
starting engine spun the nut loose unless I had it stuck on with
loctite.

I took a small engine repair course, and then
repaired several dozen small engines. Never heard
of, nor ever done locktite on a flywheel nut.

Well, I worked as a mechanic for over 20 years and did my
apprenticeship at a garage that did a lot of small engine work as well
as farm equipment and automobiles. We were a Boa Ski snowmobile,
Benelli motorbike, and Ariens yard equipment dealer as well as
cockshutt/white farm equipment and papec power choring deale, among
others. Locktite on the flywheel nut is virtually the only way to keep
it from coming off when using a drill-motor (or even an impact wrench)
to start a 4 stroke engine. You cansometimes get away with it on a 2
stroke because the starting/low speed torque is generally lower. I've
done it on Briggs, Techumseh, Lauson, Clinton, Honda and chinese clone
engines and have had the nut come loose more often than not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 16:03:25 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

wrote:

On 7/12/2015 5:36 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

OK, I know the one you mean.. I had forgotten about those clutches -
you use a big 8 point socket on it and it won't back off when it
starts.

It is more accurate to say the nut is part of the clutch on those
critters.

briggs and stratton leedsbob UK diy 29 December 28th 11 08:17 PM
Old Briggs/Stratton Puddin' Man Home Repair 18 October 19th 10 02:13 PM
Briggs and Stratton mark disilvestro UK diy 10 August 19th 10 05:51 PM
briggs and stratton bob UK diy 3 March 29th 10 07:55 PM
Briggs&Stratton 16 HP [email protected] Home Repair 5 June 24th 07 06:56 PM