Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 17.5 Briggs and Stratton

On 7/13/2015 8:32 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 15:59:07 -0400, Stormin Mormon
I took a small engine repair course, and then
repaired several dozen small engines. Never heard
of, nor ever done locktite on a flywheel nut.

Well, I worked as a mechanic for over 20 years and did my
apprenticeship at a garage that did a lot of small engine work as well
as farm equipment and automobiles. We were a Boa Ski snowmobile,
Benelli motorbike, and Ariens yard equipment dealer as well as
cockshutt/white farm equipment and papec power choring deale, among
others. Locktite on the flywheel nut is virtually the only way to keep
it from coming off when using a drill-motor (or even an impact wrench)
to start a 4 stroke engine. You cansometimes get away with it on a 2
stroke because the starting/low speed torque is generally lower. I've
done it on Briggs, Techumseh, Lauson, Clinton, Honda and chinese clone
engines and have had the nut come loose more often than not.

Any idea what you were doing wrong, all
those years?

--
..