Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 17.5 Briggs and Stratton

wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 11:30:28 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 08:34:50 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 7/12/2015 5:36 PM, Oren wrote:
I remember hard to start B&S mower engines, Granddaddy had an
electric motor mounted on a board, pulley with a V-belt. Spin that
motor until is was adjusted and running, Beats hell out of pulling
a rope. YMMV

Had a lawn mower with Tecumseh engine, had exposed
flywheel nut. I used a drill, socket, and sawed
off a socket extension. Much easier than rewinding
the rope over and again.
You want to locktite or safety wire the flywheel nut though, because
when the engine starts and overtakes the drill-motor ir cam (and
very often does) take the nut off very quickly.

How do I know? BTDTGTTS

That's why I left the overrunning clutch that useta be engaged by
the rope reel .

But on MOST engines (absolutely All I have seen/worked on), the
flywheel nut is beyond the recoil. It is right on the crankshaft, and
the recoil workis by gripping the inside of the "hub" which is
fastened to the flywheel/crankshaft by the nut, or with several small
bolts to the flywheel itself. What kind of engine were you able to use
the recoil over-running clutch on??? Just curious.

It's an older Briggs vertical shaft . The o/r clutch is part of the flywheel
nut . Might be easy to find the part number and see if it'll go in place of
the flywheel nut on other models ...

--
Snag