Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Briggs&Stratton 16 HP

I have 16hp single cylinder horizontal B&G engine in my lawn tractor.
(Manufactured in 1976). An electronic ignition had been installed
before I purchased the tractor. The tractor ran well for 5 years. I
replaced the electronic iginition , a broken wire, and now the engine
will not fire. There is plenty of spark, the fuel supply is good and
the compression is good. Any suggestions? Could this be related to
timing?

Thanks Clyde

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have 16hp single cylinder horizontal B&G engine in my lawn tractor.
(Manufactured in 1976). An electronic ignition had been installed
before I purchased the tractor. The tractor ran well for 5 years. I
replaced the electronic iginition , a broken wire, and now the engine
will not fire. There is plenty of spark, the fuel supply is good and
the compression is good. Any suggestions? Could this be related to
timing?

Thanks Clyde

By plenty of spark do you mean at the plug or off the plug wire. If the
later, try the former to rule out a bad plug. Secondly, rule out bad gas as
well as the engine getting too much or too little. If you have no signs of
flooding - like gas running out of the carb - try resetting the low idle and
fast run screws to the basic position. It's the same for both at 1.5 turns
counter-clockwise when starting with the screws turned clockwise as far as
they will go (be gentle - *don't* crank these too tight or will wreck the
needle or the seat). I'm sure you'll get better posts than this from
better heads. Best of luck.
Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 23, 6:53 pm, "C & E" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Is the plug wet after trying to start it, if so its to much fuel or
weak spark, squirt some fuel in the carb and see what happens, maybe
the choke is off.

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
#8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
COOSN-266-06-25794

Spark that you see in a test does not mean it fires under the load of
fuel, a simple bad wire could do it, ,my car idled but misfired on
acceleration it was just a bad wire.Bad Ignition modules can do the
same, spark in a test, but not under load

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would remove the air cleaner, give it a shot of ether( be very
careful about the amount, this can be dangerous) or carb cleaner
or a cap ful of new gasoline, attempt to start.

If it does not start and run briefly on ether, you have an
electrical problem.

If it starts and runs briefly, you have a fuel delivery problem.

Did you remove the flywheel to replace this ignition thing? There
is an alignment key on the shaft that is the timing on small
engines, if it has been hurt, it will not start. The magneto must
be the proper distance away from the magnets, but you do say you
have spark.

Remove the spark plug, install sp wire, touch the bottom of the sp
to engine, pull the cord. Good strong bright blue spark on the
working end of the plug?

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

oups.com...