Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Conditioning options

We bought a CT house, that only has "crank out" windows. The prior
owner had installed central air, which is no longer repairable (per 2
service visits).

I would like to AC our bedroom - no real need for the rest of our
house. Is there any Air Conditioner, that I could use / adapt to our
crank out BR windows?

Note: I do not want to spend $$, to replace our central AC unit. We
only want AC, when sleeping.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2015 12:45 PM, Dave C wrote:
We bought a CT house, that only has "crank out" windows. The prior
owner had installed central air, which is no longer repairable (per 2
service visits).

I would like to AC our bedroom - no real need for the rest of our
house. Is there any Air Conditioner, that I could use / adapt to our
crank out BR windows?

Note: I do not want to spend $$, to replace our central AC unit. We
only want AC, when sleeping.

When our large window unit went caput we bought a portable ac unit like
one of the ones you can buy at Home Depot. It works great and the vent
isn't that big and looks like it might fit vertically into a crank out
window, but I haven't tried it myself on that kind of window. That
might work.

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2015 12:45 PM, Dave C wrote:
We bought a CT house, that only has "crank out" windows. The prior
owner had installed central air, which is no longer repairable (per 2
service visits).

I would like to AC our bedroom - no real need for the rest of our
house. Is there any Air Conditioner, that I could use / adapt to our
crank out BR windows?

Note: I do not want to spend $$, to replace our central AC unit. We
only want AC, when sleeping.

Not exactly what you're thinking but this might work better for you all
the way around while maintaining the structural integrity of the window.

Buy a suitable window AC unit and "convert" it to a through the wall
unit. If you're at all handy, it's a relatively easy fix and works
quite well. I've done it in three different locations at my place. Two
additions to the house where it was impractical to extend the duct work
for the existing central air and one in my workshop in a detached garage.

Oldest installation/conversion is going on 38 years and it's still
working just fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rebel" wrote in message ...
On 5/31/2015 12:45 PM, Dave C wrote:
We bought a CT house, that only has "crank out" windows. The prior
owner had installed central air, which is no longer repairable (per 2
service visits).

I would like to AC our bedroom - no real need for the rest of our
house. Is there any Air Conditioner, that I could use / adapt to our
crank out BR windows?

Note: I do not want to spend $$, to replace our central AC unit. We
only want AC, when sleeping.

When our large window unit went caput we bought a portable ac unit like
one of the ones you can buy at Home Depot. It works great and the vent
isn't that big and looks like it might fit vertically into a crank out
window, but I haven't tried it myself on that kind of window. That
might work.

there are web sites which describe how to mount the exhaust to a casement
(crank out) window.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2015 12:56 PM, taxed and spent wrote:
"rebel" wrote in message ...
[...]

We have casement windows, but where we needed to put the ac unit had the
floor space to park the portable unit. It's much quieter than the
window unit that quit working, too. When winter came, we just took the
vent out of the window and moved the unit to a storage room in the
house. I didn't think a portable unit would work so well, but I love it.

--
rebel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 May 2015 13:45:05 -0400, Dave C wrote:

We bought a CT house, that only has "crank out" windows. The prior
owner had installed central air, which is no longer repairable (per 2
service visits).

I would like to AC our bedroom - no real need for the rest of our
house. Is there any Air Conditioner, that I could use / adapt to our
crank out BR windows?

Note: I do not want to spend $$, to replace our central AC unit. We
only want AC, when sleeping.

I see four options.

1. Casement AC unit

2. Standard AC through the wall

3. Mini Split

4. Portable unit (you have to empty a bucket)

http://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FRA.../dp/B0042JXF7U
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 May 2015 13:45:05 -0400, Dave C wrote:

We bought a CT house, that only has "crank out" windows. The prior
owner had installed central air, which is no longer repairable (per 2
service visits).

I think you mean a casement window. I've not seen a unit the fits in
one.

I would like to AC our bedroom - no real need for the rest of our
house. Is there any Air Conditioner, that I could use / adapt to our
crank out BR windows?

Note: I do not want to spend $$, to replace our central AC unit. We
only want AC, when sleeping.

An option is available, which cools and heats.

_Learn More About Single-room and Single-floor Solutions_

http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/products

Another option is a Hotel-Style Heating and Cooling Units (PTAC)

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewcategory.cfm?categoryID=246

YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2015 1:45 PM, Dave C wrote:
We bought a CT house, that only has "crank out" windows. The prior
owner had installed central air, which is no longer repairable (per 2
service visits).

I would like to AC our bedroom - no real need for the rest of our
house. Is there any Air Conditioner, that I could use / adapt to our
crank out BR windows?

Note: I do not want to spend $$, to replace our central AC unit. We
only want AC, when sleeping.

I've never met a wall or window unit I've liked. They're too damn noisy!
I'd go with a mini-split.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would price shop a goodman installed in your current furnace. central AC is much more convenient, saves energy. and a goodman may cost 1500 to 2000 bucks.

trane carrier and others 2 to 3 times the cost of a goodman. a lifetime friend who used to teach HVAC highly recommends goodman, since the parts arent propietory. none of this OEM only where the parts are a profit center, and can end when the manufacturer wants.

dont call the biggest add in the paper of yellow pages, there are lots of small dealers who will do a excellent and affordable job.

i had window units for most of my life, the bbest upgrade was goodman
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 5/31/2015 10:45 AM, Dave C wrote:
We bought a CT house, that only has "crank out" windows. The prior
owner had installed central air, which is no longer repairable (per 2
service visits).

I would like to AC our bedroom - no real need for the rest of our
house. Is there any Air Conditioner, that I could use / adapt to our
crank out BR windows?

Note: I do not want to spend $$, to replace our central AC unit. We
only want AC, when sleeping.

Get a 115V ductless split system. About $1000.
http://www.comfortup.com/gree-neo-premium-efficiency-12-000-btu-ductless-mini-split-a-c-115v-w-inverter-heat-remote-free-25-line-set-kit

Avoid window units at all costs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 5/31/2015 11:34 AM, Sum Ting-Wong wrote:
On 5/31/2015 1:45 PM, Dave C wrote:
We bought a CT house, that only has "crank out" windows. The prior
owner had installed central air, which is no longer repairable (per 2
service visits).

I would like to AC our bedroom - no real need for the rest of our
house. Is there any Air Conditioner, that I could use / adapt to our
crank out BR windows?

Note: I do not want to spend $$, to replace our central AC unit. We
only want AC, when sleeping.

I've never met a wall or window unit I've liked. They're too damn noisy!
I'd go with a mini-split.

A mini-split is definitely the best option for a room air-conditioner.

They are expensive, about $1000. Replacing existing central air is about
$3000 for the compressor and evaporator.

The other option is cutting a hole in the wall.

Avoid window units at all costs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2015 1:49 PM, rebel wrote:
When our large window unit went caput we bought a portable ac unit like
one of the ones you can buy at Home Depot. It works great and the vent
isn't that big and looks like it might fit vertically into a crank out
window, but I haven't tried it myself on that kind of window. That
might work.

If you tip AC on its side, the compressor lubricating
oil goes to the wrong places, and the unit won't work.

What's needed is called a casement style AC. I have
one outdoors on the deck, I've been trying for years
to sell it. I'm in suburb of Rochester, NY, probably
can't UPS or post office it. Wonder where is the OP,
and if there is some way to drive it there.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not exactly what you're thinking but this might work better for you all
the way around while maintaining the structural integrity of the window.

Buy a suitable window AC unit and "convert" it to a through the wall
unit. If you're at all handy, it's a relatively easy fix and works
quite well. I've done it in three different locations at my place. Two
additions to the house where it was impractical to extend the duct work
for the existing central air and one in my workshop in a detached garage.

Oldest installation/conversion is going on 38 years and it's still
working just fine.

Just need to cut away about 1/3 of the condenser,
and modify the air flow so the outdoor air comes
in the back of the unit. Might need to do some
brazing to reseal the copper tubes when you cut em.

That will convert a window unit to a through the
wall unit.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 May 2015 13:45:05 -0400, Dave C wrote:

We bought a CT house,

Controlled temperature?

If not that, what?

that only has "crank out" windows. The prior
owner had installed central air, which is no longer repairable (per 2
service visits).

I would like to AC our bedroom - no real need for the rest of our
house. Is there any Air Conditioner, that I could use / adapt to our
crank out BR windows?

Note: I do not want to spend $$, to replace our central AC unit. We
only want AC, when sleeping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave C" wrote in message
We bought a CT house, that only has "crank out" windows. The prior
owner had installed central air, which is no longer repairable (per 2
service visits).

I would like to AC our bedroom - no real need for the rest of our
house. Is there any Air Conditioner, that I could use / adapt to our
crank out BR windows?

Note: I do not want to spend $$, to replace our central AC unit. We
only want AC, when sleeping.

Your windows are 'casement windows' and you can find AC units to fit them.
Casement windows are more common outside the US.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rebel" wrote in message ...
On 5/31/2015 12:45 PM, Dave C wrote:
We bought a CT house, that only has "crank out" windows. The prior
owner had installed central air, which is no longer repairable (per 2
service visits).

I would like to AC our bedroom - no real need for the rest of our
house. Is there any Air Conditioner, that I could use / adapt to our
crank out BR windows?

There aren't many AC's that fit casement windows, but of course you only
need one. It will keep you from opening that half of the window.

Also they are usually small, not much higher than they are wide, so they
won't cool as much as a bigger one will. My info is 50 years old but it
seems like it would have to still be true.

Anotehr thing one could do is put a hole in the wall and put the AC in a
sleeve designed for that purpose. I don't know what it takes to keep
the cold out during the winter.

More in reply to Rebel below

[...]

Wow. I was just about to ask you about the noise but you beat me to it.
The noise is what worries me the most, and I was thinking of putting a
room AC in another room just so I coudln't hear it.much.

What brand do you have, do you remember? Top of the line? Cost?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2015 7:53 PM, micky wrote:

There aren't many AC's that fit casement windows, but of course you only
need one. It will keep you from opening that half of the window.

Also they are usually small, not much higher than they are wide, so they
won't cool as much as a bigger one will. My info is 50 years old but it
seems like it would have to still be true.

I was thinking it may cool too much. Most bedrooms need only 5,000 or
6,000 BTU and the casements are 8,500 to 10,000.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 May 2015 20:36:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/31/2015 7:53 PM, micky wrote:

There aren't many AC's that fit casement windows, but of course you only
need one. It will keep you from opening that half of the window.

Also they are usually small, not much higher than they are wide, so they
won't cool as much as a bigger one will. My info is 50 years old but it
seems like it would have to still be true.

I was thinking it may cool too much. Most bedrooms need only 5,000 or
6,000 BTU and the casements are 8,500 to 10,000.

I should have mentioned that in the house I lived in with casement
windows, we had no AC at all. A new owner put in central AC,
which was probably pretty easy since it had central forced air heat.

Hmm. If it's too big, maybe he could cool it to 64 before going to
bed, then set it to 72 and the thing would stay off most of the night,
solving most of the noise problem when he is in there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 May 2015 20:36:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/31/2015 7:53 PM, micky wrote:

There aren't many AC's that fit casement windows, but of course you only
need one. It will keep you from opening that half of the window.

Also they are usually small, not much higher than they are wide, so they
won't cool as much as a bigger one will. My info is 50 years old but it
seems like it would have to still be true.

I was thinking it may cool too much. Most bedrooms need only 5,000 or
6,000 BTU and the casements are 8,500 to 10,000.

Wow, look at this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/spt-port...&skuId=3157186

I didn't think they sold stuff like this. Certainaly shoudln't use it
where there's any humidity** but might work okay in a very dry location.

It's funny how it looks just like a portable AC.

**Like Baltimore, where it usually doesn't bother me but I still
wouldn't want to increase it. Sometimes even without this it's humid
enough that it makes it feel much hotter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rebel" wrote in message ...
[...]

I don't think it's top of the line. Probably somewhere in the middle,
I'm guessing. It's an Intertek LG 12,000 BTU R410A. It was on sale for
$325 when I bought it at Home Depot couple of summers ago.

Compared to the window unit, it purrs like a kitten, but it still has
some noise. I can hear the TV over it just fine.

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2015 8:08 PM, micky wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2015 20:36:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/31/2015 7:53 PM, micky wrote:

There aren't many AC's that fit casement windows, but of course you only
need one. It will keep you from opening that half of the window.

Also they are usually small, not much higher than they are wide, so they
won't cool as much as a bigger one will. My info is 50 years old but it
seems like it would have to still be true.

I was thinking it may cool too much. Most bedrooms need only 5,000 or
6,000 BTU and the casements are 8,500 to 10,000.

Wow, look at this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/spt-port...&skuId=3157186

I didn't think they sold stuff like this. Certainaly shoudln't use it
where there's any humidity** but might work okay in a very dry location.

It's funny how it looks just like a portable AC.

Wow is right! Just the ticket, Micky. A nice compact unit to increase
the humidity, give him exercise filling it with water AND ice, should be
a good source of legionella (a/k/a "Legionnaire's disease").

Probably be the best $100 he ever spent. Not!g

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 May 2015 22:30:55 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

[...]

I hadn't thought of that. For some poeple legionella may be the closest
they get to a fraternal organization.

Probably be the best $100 he ever spent. Not!g

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Wow, look at this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/spt-port...&skuId=3157186

I didn't think they sold stuff like this. Certainaly shoudln't use it
where there's any humidity** but might work okay in a very dry location.

It's funny how it looks just like a portable AC.

Wow is right! Just the ticket, Micky. A nice compact unit to increase
the humidity, give him exercise filling it with water AND ice, should be
a good source of legionella (a/k/a "Legionnaire's disease").

This is what Wikip says

"Legionnaires' disease is transmitted by inhalation of aerosolized water
and/or soil contaminated with the bacteria. It is not airborne and it is
not transmitted from person to person."

If it's transmitted by aerosolized water, how is not airborne?

Probably be the best $100 he ever spent. Not!g

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rebel" wrote in message ...
[...]

That's important. Even the noise** of the central AC bothered me when
it worked, and I kept the bedroom door shut to hear less of it (through
the return duct in the stairwell.) **The noise of the air circulation
fan. In the winter it didn't bother me. Same speed, one speed fan, but
I guess deep down I want the heat more in the winter than I want the
cool in the summer. The desire for warmth may be more instinctive than
the desire to be cool, since I'm sure more people have died from cold
than from heat.

some noise. I can hear the TV over it just fine.

Thanks. I asked before I remembered that my friend offered to lend me
one, but he may not be able to find his, or something else may go wrong,
so this is very helpful if I have to buy one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2015 3:59 AM, micky wrote:
That's important. Even the noise** of the central AC bothered me when
it worked, and I kept the bedroom door shut to hear less of it (through
the return duct in the stairwell.) **The noise of the air circulation
fan. In the winter it didn't bother me. Same speed, one speed fan, but
I guess deep down I want the heat more in the winter than I want the
cool in the summer. The desire for warmth may be more instinctive than
the desire to be cool, since I'm sure more people have died from cold
than from heat.

Many furnace have three speed fan motors. Cold air
is heavier, so the furnace needs to use a higher
speed for AC, to push the cold air up. It is very
possible the AC is actually louder, due to the
higher fan speed.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rebel" wrote in message ...
[...]

I thought you may find this interesting, search "Indian Heat Wave". o_O

http://www.wsj.com/articles/death-to...000-1433071368

http://preview.tinyurl.com/nj3jqjh

[8~{} Uncle Hot Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2015 2:45 AM, micky wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2015 22:30:55 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

[snip]

Wow is right! Just the ticket, Micky. A nice compact unit to increase
the humidity, give him exercise filling it with water AND ice, should be
a good source of legionella (a/k/a "Legionnaire's disease").

This is what Wikip says

"Legionnaires' disease is transmitted by inhalation of aerosolized water
and/or soil contaminated with the bacteria. It is not airborne and it is
not transmitted from person to person."

If it's transmitted by aerosolized water, how is not airborne?

That's one of the problems with Wikipedia: sourcing

Anyone could enter anything into Wikip and it will stay there - taken as
gospel by some - until/unless someone else contradicts it.

I was surprised to learn - though not from Wikip - that legionella can
thrive in a home's potable hot water system. Apparently the bacteria
can thrive in temps between something like 100 and 120 degrees F in a
stagnant run of piping, like maybe a section running to a powder room
which is rarely used? How it transmits to the inhabitants is not
mentioned. Drinking it? or maybe having it come through a shower head?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 08:00:00 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 6/1/2015 3:59 AM, micky wrote:
That's important. Even the noise** of the central AC bothered me when
it worked, and I kept the bedroom door shut to hear less of it (through
the return duct in the stairwell.) **The noise of the air circulation
fan. In the winter it didn't bother me. Same speed, one speed fan, but
I guess deep down I want the heat more in the winter than I want the
cool in the summer. The desire for warmth may be more instinctive than
the desire to be cool, since I'm sure more people have died from cold
than from heat.

Many furnace have three speed fan motors. Cold air

Mine does. The color code showed that it was attached to the lowest
speed.wire, but just in case the color code was wrong, I connected it in
turn to the two other colors. The diagram was right and I had to put it
back on the original, low-speed wire.

is heavier, so the furnace needs to use a higher
speed for AC, to push the cold air up. It is very
possible the AC is actually louder, due to the
higher fan speed.

Only one speed, same for heat and cooling.
-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rebel" wrote in message ...
[...]

I went to Ollies, a surplus store, suppposedly, and they have some room
and portable ACs. I think they're left over from last summer. I got
models and I'm going to check prices. They want 250 or 240 fo 8KBTU,
smaller than Rebel's that is 12K. I guess I'll measure my room too,
even though I think it is 20 feet by 10. We'll see if I'm right.

I thought you may find this interesting, search "Indian Heat Wave". o_O

http://www.wsj.com/articles/death-to...000-1433071368

If it's 2000 degrees, no wonder it's too hot . Oh, no, only 109 or
113. I heard about this on the radio. They said it was like this every
year. They may have said this year was worse for some reason but I
forget.

I don't think I could live there at all, even with AC. I'd want to go
out of the house some days this month.

I don't subscribe to WSJ and usually can't read t heir articles. This
is different, either becuase it's from yesterday, or maybe I have a
quota that starts again today, the first of the month.

A friend called me yesterday, for the first time in 31 years. His
daughter was in Nepal for the earthquake. That is, during the
earthquake. People got injured and one guy got killed just a few feet
from her and her boyfriend. -- I iknow... that's in the mountains so
it's nowhere near as hot, but it's the only think I know related to
India.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/nj3jqjh

[8~{} Uncle Hot Monster

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rebel" wrote in message ...
[...]

What really bothers me about the third world countries, the disasters, droughts and famines that seem to constantly vex them is what happens to the children. I have to change the channel when the starving children ads come on TV. I only have one heart to rip out. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 6/1/2015 3:59 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

speed for AC, to pu[Glad you ruled that out. I can

never remember if blue and red are low and medium.
Black is high.]
sh the cold air up. It is very
possible the AC is actually louder, due to the
higher fan speed.

Only one speed, same for heat and cooling.
-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Conditioning those third world kids

On 6/1/2015 6:08 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

What really bothers me about the third world countries, the disasters, droughts and famines that seem to constantly vex them is what happens to the children. I have to change the channel when the starving children ads come on TV. I only have one heart to rip out. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster

I wonder some times about the various aid programs. Wonder
how much of the aid gets to the kids. And how much is
taxed or stolen along the way.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 5:21:35 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/1/2015 6:08 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

What really bothers me about the third world countries, the disasters, droughts and famines that seem to constantly vex them is what happens to the children. I have to change the channel when the starving children ads come on TV. I only have one heart to rip out. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster

I wonder some times about the various aid programs. Wonder
how much of the aid gets to the kids. And how much is
taxed or stolen along the way.

....and I bet *the wonder* is your reason for not giving anything?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 5:21:35 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/1/2015 6:08 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

What really bothers me about the third world countries, the disasters, droughts and famines that seem to constantly vex them is what happens to the children. I have to change the channel when the starving children ads come on TV. I only have one heart to rip out. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster

I wonder some times about the various aid programs. Wonder
how much of the aid gets to the kids. And how much is
taxed or stolen along the way.

-

Usually the charities run by religions are good at spending most of the donations on those in need. I'm not so sure about the ones with the slick TV ads. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Charitable Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2015 7:40 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 5:21:35 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I wonder some times about the various aid programs. Wonder
how much of the aid gets to the kids. And how much is
taxed or stolen along the way.

-

Usually the charities run by religions are good at spending most of the donations on those in need. I'm not so sure about the ones with the slick TV ads. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Charitable Monster

My Dad used to say to sell that big TV camera
and use the money to feed the kids.

Wasn't that like Judas, who fretted over the
expensive oil that Mary Magdeline poured over
Jesus?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rebel" wrote in message ...
[...]

I'm really happy with the portable AC we have. It works real well for
what we need, anyway.

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Jun 2015 15:08:41 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 4:54:41 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
A friend called me yesterday, for the first time in 31 years. His
daughter was in Nepal for the earthquake. That is, during the
earthquake. People got injured and one guy got killed just a few feet
from her and her boyfriend. -- I iknow... that's in the mountains so
it's nowhere near as hot, but it's the only think I know related to
India.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/nj3jqjh

[8~{} Uncle Hot Monster

Thanks.

What really bothers me about the third world countries, the disasters, droughts and famines that seem to constantly vex them is what happens to the children. I have to change the channel when the starving children ads come on TV. I only have one heart to rip out. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster

I know how you feel. I've pretty much stopped watching bad news. I
can't do anything about 99.999999% of it and It makes my life a lot
better not to watch, not even to know details.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rebel" wrote in message ...
[...]

I have a feeling he won't be able to find his AC (because we discussed
this last summer and if he'd seen it in the past year, he'd remember
seeing it and where), so yesterday I went to that surplus store I
mentioned. They still have some, probably the same ones they had last
year, that they brought out again.

Only 4 or 5 models, 3 that are 8K, and one only 25 dollars less than a
refurbished machines online (including shipping) . Another also about
$30 less, But another that seems to be 100 less, One model has been
replaced by a newer model, but I'm not sure it's really any better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 08:12:11 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 6/1/2015 2:45 AM, micky wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2015 22:30:55 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

[snip]

Wow is right! Just the ticket, Micky. A nice compact unit to increase
the humidity, give him exercise filling it with water AND ice, should be
a good source of legionella (a/k/a "Legionnaire's disease").

This is what Wikip says

"Legionnaires' disease is transmitted by inhalation of aerosolized water
and/or soil contaminated with the bacteria. It is not airborne and it is
not transmitted from person to person."

If it's transmitted by aerosolized water, how is it not airborne?

In fact, not counting the contaminated soil (which is not how the
Legionaires got it) it is only airborne.

That's one of the problems with Wikipedia: sourcing

Anyone could enter anything into Wikip and it will stay there - taken as
gospel by some - until/unless someone else contradicts it.

You're right.

I was surprised to learn - though not from Wikip - that legionella can
thrive in a home's potable hot water system. Apparently the bacteria
can thrive in temps between something like 100 and 120 degrees F in a
stagnant run of piping, like maybe a section running to a powder room
which is rarely used? How it transmits to the inhabitants is not
mentioned. Drinking it? or maybe having it come through a shower head?

a scary world.

Air conditioning R D S[_2_] UK diy 34 August 4th 14 02:08 AM
When it comes to purchasing professional clothing or work wear formen, there are numerous options that are both attractive and appealing. A manhas needs when it comes to his work wear, just like a woman. Fashion designerstoday often provide options p [email protected] Woodworking 0 April 21st 08 05:45 AM
air conditioning options for an old house [email protected] Home Repair 11 August 17th 05 05:12 PM
Air Conditioning KTECH Home Repair 18 July 20th 05 01:20 PM
Air Conditioning uvadixiechicken Home Repair 6 July 26th 03 09:15 PM