Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Air Conditioning options

On Sun, 31 May 2015 13:02:36 -0500, rebel wrote:

On 5/31/2015 12:56 PM, taxed and spent wrote:
"rebel" wrote in message ...
On 5/31/2015 12:45 PM, Dave C wrote:
We bought a CT house, that only has "crank out" windows. The prior
owner had installed central air, which is no longer repairable (per 2
service visits).

I would like to AC our bedroom - no real need for the rest of our
house. Is there any Air Conditioner, that I could use / adapt to our
crank out BR windows?

There aren't many AC's that fit casement windows, but of course you only
need one. It will keep you from opening that half of the window.

Also they are usually small, not much higher than they are wide, so they
won't cool as much as a bigger one will. My info is 50 years old but it
seems like it would have to still be true.

Anotehr thing one could do is put a hole in the wall and put the AC in a
sleeve designed for that purpose. I don't know what it takes to keep
the cold out during the winter.

More in reply to Rebel below

Note: I do not want to spend $$, to replace our central AC unit. We
only want AC, when sleeping.

When our large window unit went caput we bought a portable ac unit like
one of the ones you can buy at Home Depot. It works great and the vent
isn't that big and looks like it might fit vertically into a crank out
window, but I haven't tried it myself on that kind of window. That
might work.

there are web sites which describe how to mount the exhaust to a casement
(crank out) window.

We have casement windows, but where we needed to put the ac unit had the
floor space to park the portable unit. It's much quieter than the
window unit that quit working, too. When winter came, we just took the
vent out of the window and moved the unit to a storage room in the
house. I didn't think a portable unit would work so well, but I love it.

Wow. I was just about to ask you about the noise but you beat me to it.
The noise is what worries me the most, and I was thinking of putting a
room AC in another room just so I coudln't hear it.much.

What brand do you have, do you remember? Top of the line? Cost?