Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Are there any *NEWS* Websites that still post photos?

On Wed, 27 May 2015 00:00:06 -0400, Seymore4Head
wrote:

The WWW continues to become more and more worthless everytime I use it.
Now they have sites that require us to type in a code which they call a
Captcha, for entry, which is ONLY to view the site. I refuse to use
those sites, and just click the close button immediately. There is
absolutely no reason anyone should have to type in any code to only VIEW
a site.

We have all these fancy computers these days and are being forced to go
back to the old daily newspaper and tv coverage, if we really just want
to read and article with pictures...... Sad but true!

Anyhow, is there any site that still shows the daily news in a
"newspaper" style, neaming text and photos only?

And no, I dont use Facebook or other social media garbage....

You should Google RSS. It might be what you are looking for. Try
Feedly and use CNN as a starter news feed.

Nothing personal, but this was a totally useless response. As I
mentioned in my original post, CNN was one I tried and found useless
because it's all video based.

I never heard of feedly before, but as soon as I went to feedly.com, I
had one of those Captcha things shoved in my face. I have a policy. If a
site thinks I have time to waste filling out their fu###ng Captcha
things, just to view their site, they can shove their site up some dark
hole where the sun never shines. I simply refuse to go to the site of
any site requiring a captcha. I have never opened one of them, and never
will. If they want to drive people away, they are succeeding and with
any luck, their advertisers will dump them flat on their ass. Those
captchas win the award for the most assinine thing ever done on the
internet. I can understand signing up, or proving it's a real person, to
POST to a website, but just to view it, *NOT*. I refuse to play their
harassment game. I figure any site that uses those captchas is not worth
even going to in the first place....

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was out and about nearly all of the holiday weekend so I did not spend
any time on the computer. I heard from others about all the flooding in
the south, mainly Texas and Oklahoma from what I understand. I googled
"Texas Flood" and found many hits. CNN, Fox news, MSNBC, and so on.

After going to 3 or 4 of these sites and waiting over an hour for them
to load, I only say one photo. There are lots of videos though. The
problem is that I am on dialup, and can not view videos. And in all
honesty, I'd rather see some still photos. (and I an not referring to
all the ads that loaded pictures).

The WWW continues to become more and more worthless everytime I use it.
Now they have sites that require us to type in a code which they call a
Captcha, for entry, which is ONLY to view the site. I refuse to use
those sites, and just click the close button immediately. There is
absolutely no reason anyone should have to type in any code to only VIEW
a site.

We have all these fancy computers these days and are being forced to go
back to the old daily newspaper and tv coverage, if we really just want
to read and article with pictures...... Sad but true!

Anyhow, is there any site that still shows the daily news in a
"newspaper" style, neaming text and photos only?

And no, I dont use Facebook or other social media garbage....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 3:23:05 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I don't know what state you live in, I usually live in a state of confusion but I do reside in Alabamastan. We have a website that isn't loaded up with lots of video and it's "al.com" which is like an online newspaper. Perhaps the state where you live has a similar website that focuses mostly on local and statewide news just like a local paper. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Paper Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 May 2015 08:15:25 -0400, Paul Franklin
wrote:

one of the flooded states. Thanks!

Take a look at http://news.myway.com/

It's not newspaper style, but it has headlines, brief text-only
summary, and one small photo per headline. When you click on a
headline, more text only detail and perhaps a photo or two is shown.
No videos, no pop-ups, and can be customized to focus on news area and
items that most interest you. You can tell which local areas you are
interested in and it willl include local news from that area.

Paul F.

Now this is great......
I can actually read the news which loads fast, even on dialup, and
actually gives the news without tons of crap. Myway.com has been added
to my bookmarks. I figured there had to be some website that still
posted the actual news in a useful format. A lot of those sites dont
realize that some of us rural people have nothing but dialup internet,
and that is all I can get, unless I could afford $100 a month for
satellite. I cant afford that, and even if I could, the internet is not
worth that much to me since I have more to do with my time than spend
all of it online.

I am also limited to antenna tv, but after putting up a tower, and using
power boosters, I can get around 20 channels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 May 2015 07:25:55 -0400, "dadiOH" wrote:

wrote:

I never heard of feedly before, but as soon as I went to feedly.com, I
had one of those Captcha things shoved in my face.

I just went there with Opera 12.15. No captcha.

I just went there with IE v10. No captcha.

Conclusion, don't blame the website, blame UE (user error).

"User Error"?. Lets see, I open my browser, type in feedly.com and poke
the enter button. As long as I type the URL correctly, there is little
chance of user error.

I tried it on Firefox, Seamonkey, and K-Meleon. ALL of them wanted the
captchas...

Now, if you include the fact I am on dialup, that may have something to
do with it. Yet, I have tried to go to some websites at a WIFI spot,
using my cellphone, and have also been given a captcha page.

Like I said, any site that even has captchas is not worth my time....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default TexAss

wrote in message
I was out and about nearly all of the holiday weekend so I did not spend
any time on the computer. I heard from others about all the flooding in
the south, mainly Texas and Oklahoma from what I understand. I googled
"Texas Flood" and found many hits. CNN, Fox news, MSNBC, and so on.

Jerry, you should facebook me on facebook. Yer in for a pleasant surprise.
I gots pics of Oren ****ing somebuddy mom. Also, there's only two thangs in
TexAss, steers 'n queers.
Just sayin'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 May 2015 22:05:44 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 26 May 2015 22:51:04 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/26/2015 4:22 PM,
wrote:

Anyhow, is there any site that still shows the daily news in a
"newspaper" style, neaming text and photos only?

And no, I dont use Facebook or other social media garbage....

Have you tried the local newspaper? I can get the exact digital edition
of the printed paper as well as other photos.

This is a very small rural town, so the local newspaper only comes out
once a week, and you cant view it online until the next edition comes
out. But they dont cover much national news anyhow. However, your
suggestion is a good one. I'll google to get a large city newspaper from
one of the flooded states. Thanks!

Take a look at
http://news.myway.com/

It's not newspaper style, but it has headlines, brief text-only
summary, and one small photo per headline. When you click on a
headline, more text only detail and perhaps a photo or two is shown.
No videos, no pop-ups, and can be customized to focus on news area and
items that most interest you. You can tell which local areas you are
interested in and it willl include local news from that area.

Paul F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 1:27:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:

[...]

Just for the heck of it, I went to the feedly.com website and poked
around a bit, searched, looked at stuff. It didn't require me to
enter any captcha code. I've
seen on rare occasions where you need to do that to access the website,
search it, etc. But in my experience, 95% of the time, captch is only
used if you want to post, create an account, etc. And they do that to
stop bots from slamming the website.

I don't mind the captcha concept. What I can't stand is that some of
them have gotten so hard that what they put up there, I can't figure
out what the blurried, disfigured characters are supposed to be.
Sometimes I have to try 3 or 4 times to get one that I can decipher.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm reading NPR news and the Washington Post
lately. They both have some photos, but not
many. On the other hand, I block script and 3rd-party
images. I also don't have flash installed and see no
videos. So you might see more images than I do.

I think there's a general trend toward merging
corporate Internet sites with TV. They want to
entertain you while they track you, and many are
probably, like Google, tailoring the actual news you
see to what they think you want. So a site with 3
videos running is just the fad of the day.

Personally I'm happy if I can just find real news in
the first place. I get NYT at home. (Not my choice.)
I find that to be mostly a big business propaganda
brochure, of little value for news. I used to go to
BBC, but they keep changing their site and the last
change doesn't work well. I never go to the sites
you mentioned. I think they're just too much on
the infotainment end of the spectrum. But I can't
say that there's any one site that I *really* like for
simply finding out the relevant news of the day.

Something like the floods I see on TV. I often
watch a bit of the 11PM local soap opera, in order
to see the weather. As part of that I usually end
up watching a few snippets about the usual local
"news": the bear in the backyard; the elderly person
who drove into a convenience store; the dog that
almost drowned but didn't.... if there's any real news,
like the Texas floods, the local station will usually
have some footage. (I'm sure they're relieved that
they don't have to cook up another cute bear-in-yard
story to fill up those 4 minutes.)

But now I have another dilemma: The local news
stations have become so bad that they're filling up
most of their time with glib prattle from young lady
anchors in tight dresses, wearing far too much make-up,
along with extended weather reports. The weather
reports have become so long that they're simply too
boring to concentrate on, as the local weatherman
drones on, listing the high temperature of the day for
15 different local towns. (3 were 82F but 6 got as
high as 83F!!!) That seems to be a general trend:
Portraying the local news anchors as my buddies who
keep mr company at 11PM but don't really have much
of interest to tell me because actually reporting the
news is hard work and requires a modicum of literacy.
Lately they've even started having weather previews!
At 11 there's a mini weather report. Then at about 11:16
there's a 5 minute report. It used to be about 2 minutes
total and was more informative. I expect the next
development will be "Breaking News!! The Weather
Report Will Be Coming Up Just After This Break!!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 May 2015 05:24:26 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

If you get feedly installed, the hard part can be to find other sites
of interest.

Here is a screenshot of mine. This is way too much news to keep up
with in one day. I skip 15 out of 20 headlines most if the time. But
sometimes I still run out of stuff to read. I really enjoy reading.
Stupid stuff gets about as must priority as News.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

http://imgur.com/dwSZNya
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I never heard of feedly before, but as soon as I went to feedly.com, I
had one of those Captcha things shoved in my face.

I just went there with Opera 12.15. No captcha.

I just went there with IE v10. No captcha.

Conclusion, don't blame the website, blame UE (user error).

"User Error"?. Lets see, I open my browser, type in feedly.com and poke
the enter button. As long as I type the URL correctly, there is little
chance of user error.

I tried it on Firefox, Seamonkey, and K-Meleon. ALL of them wanted the
captchas...

Now, if you include the fact I am on dialup, that may have something to
do with it. Yet, I have tried to go to some websites at a WIFI spot,
using my cellphone, and have also been given a captcha page.

Like I said, any site that even has captchas is not worth my time....

What platform and browser are you using? Like DadiOH, I went
there with Win 7 and IE, poked around, did a search, no captcha.
IDK why it would be environment sensitive, but something very
odd is going on. And as said before, it's rare that a website
uses captcha just to view it. I've seen some that do, but typically
it's for making a post, creating an account, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

one of the flooded states. Thanks!

Take a look at
http://news.myway.com/

It's not newspaper style, but it has headlines, brief text-only
summary, and one small photo per headline. When you click on a
headline, more text only detail and perhaps a photo or two is shown.
No videos, no pop-ups, and can be customized to focus on news area and
items that most interest you. You can tell which local areas you are
interested in and it willl include local news from that area.

Paul F.

Now this is great......

Doesn't look that good to me.
I won't be switching from http://news.google.com.