Posted to alt.home.repair

Default snake

the bathroom sink plugged up again.

Tried two doses of liquid cleaner, poked coat hangers down it but only
partially cleared it.

After dealing with this at least twice a year for 35 stinking years...I
went out and bought a $20 snake and cleared it out in 30 seconds.

Why in the hell did I not have a snake in the house, I have just about
every tool imaginable.

sheesh
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
the bathroom sink plugged up again.

Tried two doses of liquid cleaner, poked coat hangers down it but only
partially cleared it.

After dealing with this at least twice a year for 35 stinking years...I
went out and bought a $20 snake and cleared it out in 30 seconds.

Why in the hell did I not have a snake in the house, I have just about
every tool imaginable.

sheesh

What are you folks putting down the sink? Mostly hair strands? I never
had any sink plugging up in all the houses I lived in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/21/2015 08:12 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
philo wrote:
the bathroom sink plugged up again.

Tried two doses of liquid cleaner, poked coat hangers down it but only
partially cleared it.

After dealing with this at least twice a year for 35 stinking years...I
went out and bought a $20 snake and cleared it out in 30 seconds.

Why in the hell did I not have a snake in the house, I have just about
every tool imaginable.

sheesh

What are you folks putting down the sink? Mostly hair strands? I never
had any sink plugging up in all the houses I lived in.

I have no hair to speak of, it's all the fault of my wife.

There is a 90 degree bend where it all seems to accumulate.

The next sink on that same run never has a problem.

Anyway, the snake was sure easy to use so next time, it will not be a
problem. Much easier than dealing with the wife.
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
the bathroom sink plugged up again.

Tried two doses of liquid cleaner, poked coat hangers down it but only
partially cleared it.

After dealing with this at least twice a year for 35 stinking years...I
went out and bought a $20 snake and cleared it out in 30 seconds.

Why in the hell did I not have a snake in the house, I have just about
every tool imaginable.

sheesh

What are you folks putting down the sink? Mostly hair strands? I never
had any sink plugging up in all the houses I lived in.

I have no hair to speak of, it's all the fault of my wife.

There is a 90 degree bend where it all seems to accumulate.

The next sink on that same run never has a problem.

Anyway, the snake was sure easy to use so next time, it will not be a
problem. Much easier than dealing with the wife.

Hand soap and shaving cream can build up in drain pipes. I don't
remember having a sink blocked. When a drain gets slow, I agitate with
a plunger. I do that several times a year in the kitchen, for the
gratification.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/21/2015 08:51 PM, J Burns wrote:

sheesh

What are you folks putting down the sink? Mostly hair strands? I never
had any sink plugging up in all the houses I lived in.

I have no hair to speak of, it's all the fault of my wife.

There is a 90 degree bend where it all seems to accumulate.

The next sink on that same run never has a problem.

Anyway, the snake was sure easy to use so next time, it will not be a
problem. Much easier than dealing with the wife.

Hand soap and shaving cream can build up in drain pipes. I don't
remember having a sink blocked. When a drain gets slow, I agitate with
a plunger. I do that several times a year in the kitchen, for the
gratification.

To be fair to my wife, when she works on her hair, she keeps a towel in
the sink, so there is not much hair going down the drain.

I use castile hand soap which might be the main problem.

Since the snake cleared it, so fast and effortlessly, looks like it no
longer will be a problem though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
the bathroom sink plugged up again.

Tried two doses of liquid cleaner, poked coat hangers down it but only
partially cleared it.

After dealing with this at least twice a year for 35 stinking
years...I went out and bought a $20 snake and cleared it out in 30
seconds.

Why in the hell did I not have a snake in the house, I have just about
every tool imaginable.

Come to Florida. Just yesterday evening I came across one in one of our
bathrooms. It was curled up on the window sill and tried to bite me when I
picked it up to transfer it to its natural habitat.

No idea how it got in; true, it was a baby but the house is pretty tight. I
found a Cuban tree frog in the toilet a couple of weeks ago and figure it
came down the vent pipe but doubt the snake did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 21, 2015 at 7:33:22 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
the bathroom sink plugged up again.

Tried two doses of liquid cleaner, poked coat hangers down it but only
partially cleared it.

After dealing with this at least twice a year for 35 stinking years...I
went out and bought a $20 snake and cleared it out in 30 seconds.

Why in the hell did I not have a snake in the house, I have just about
every tool imaginable.

sheesh

Here's what I use and it can be safely used by anyone. I hang it on the wall in the towel closet. I kept a couple in my van back when I was able to work that I would give friends or customers when they had a clogged sink. 8-)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraf...-100665735-_-N

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ljekhyz

[8~{} Uncle Sink Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 May 2015 17:33:18 -0700, philo wrote:

the bathroom sink plugged up again.

Tried two doses of liquid cleaner, poked coat hangers down it but only
partially cleared it.

After dealing with this at least twice a year for 35 stinking years...I
went out and bought a $20 snake and cleared it out in 30 seconds.

Why in the hell did I not have a snake in the house, I have just about
every tool imaginable.

sheesh

They're dirty?

PS: After tiring of snaking and snaking, I used those 'expanding' hose
attachments for 'flushing' a drain via the roof vent pipe. Went from
snaking every year to having clean pipes for at least another 10 years.
Ms. really was happy that the drains were clear, but ecstatic that I
didn't drag a snake through the inside of our home. I actually had to buy
a new snake each use! With what's down there, I kinda agreed.

PS: I know I'm preaching to the choir, but do use common sense when doing
the 'high powered' flushing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/21/2015 9:46 PM, philo wrote:
Anyway, the snake was sure easy to use so next time, it will not be a
problem. Much easier than dealing with the wife.

When I was a kid, my Dad had to snake out the
kitchen sink drain every few months or so. Black
grease. He used a snake, as I recall.

About a year ago, I got a request from a
friend, his kitchen sink stopped draining.
I ended up using a snake, took 15 feet or
so of cable to punch through. Then some
drain crystals to help clear it the rest of
the way.

Perhaps some drain crystals will help your
hair sink.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/22/2015 05:23 AM, dadiOH wrote:
philo wrote:
the bathroom sink plugged up again.

Tried two doses of liquid cleaner, poked coat hangers down it but only
partially cleared it.

After dealing with this at least twice a year for 35 stinking
years...I went out and bought a $20 snake and cleared it out in 30
seconds.

Why in the hell did I not have a snake in the house, I have just about
every tool imaginable.

Come to Florida. Just yesterday evening I came across one in one of our
bathrooms. It was curled up on the window sill and tried to bite me when I
picked it up to transfer it to its natural habitat.

No idea how it got in; true, it was a baby but the house is pretty tight. I
found a Cuban tree frog in the toilet a couple of weeks ago and figure it
came down the vent pipe but doubt the snake did.

Been to every one of the continental states...Florida just once.

Saw the alligator and figured my wife and cats would not like it.

Not sure how much I liked it either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/22/2015 05:40 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Thursday, May 21, 2015 at 7:33:22 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
the bathroom sink plugged up again.

Tried two doses of liquid cleaner, poked coat hangers down it but only
partially cleared it.

After dealing with this at least twice a year for 35 stinking years...I
went out and bought a $20 snake and cleared it out in 30 seconds.

Why in the hell did I not have a snake in the house, I have just about
every tool imaginable.

sheesh

Here's what I use and it can be safely used by anyone. I hang it on the wall in the towel closet. I kept a couple in my van back when I was able to work that I would give friends or customers when they had a clogged sink. 8-)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraf...-100665735-_-N

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ljekhyz

[8~{} Uncle Sink Monster

Yes...I have one of them, but the 90 degree turn was maybe 24"beyond the
reach of that. I even cut the handle off and attached it to a heavy wire
but could not quite get tot the clogged area.

Now I have a snake and won't have to improvise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/22/2015 06:27 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2015 17:33:18 -0700, philo wrote:

the bathroom sink plugged up again.

Tried two doses of liquid cleaner, poked coat hangers down it but only
partially cleared it.

After dealing with this at least twice a year for 35 stinking
years...I went out and bought a $20 snake and cleared it out in 30
seconds.

Why in the hell did I not have a snake in the house, I have just about
every tool imaginable.

sheesh

They're dirty?

Since the clog was very possibly just soap the snake did not come out
dirty at all.

A toilet snake job might very well have been a different story.

PS: After tiring of snaking and snaking, I used those 'expanding' hose
attachments for 'flushing' a drain via the roof vent pipe. Went from
snaking every year to having clean pipes for at least another 10 years.
Ms. really was happy that the drains were clear, but ecstatic that I
didn't drag a snake through the inside of our home. I actually had to
buy a new snake each use! With what's down there, I kinda agreed.

PS: I know I'm preaching to the choir, but do use common sense when
doing the 'high powered' flushing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per philo:
After dealing with this at least twice a year for 35 stinking years...I
went out and bought a $20 snake and cleared it out in 30 seconds.

Why in the hell did I not have a snake in the house, I have just about
every tool imaginable.

Great timing: one of our sinks has been draining too slowly and I was
about to disassemble the u-joint to clean it out.

After reading your post, I realized that I had a snake that I had bought
30+ years ago and only used once.....

5 minutes and the sink was draining normally.

Thanks!!
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/22/2015 08:17 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per philo:
After dealing with this at least twice a year for 35 stinking years...I
went out and bought a $20 snake and cleared it out in 30 seconds.

Why in the hell did I not have a snake in the house, I have just about
every tool imaginable.

Great timing: one of our sinks has been draining too slowly and I was
about to disassemble the u-joint to clean it out.

After reading your post, I realized that I had a snake that I had bought
30+ years ago and only used once.....

5 minutes and the sink was draining normally.

Thanks!!

Glad my post did some good...

My wife got a laugh when I gave a friend of mine a spare electric motor
that I had been keeping for 30 years..."just in case".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/22/2015 9:17 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
After reading your post, I realized that I had a snake that I had bought
30+ years ago and only used once.....

5 minutes and the sink was draining normally.

Thanks!!

Sigh. You will now hear complaints from people
about bringing up a 30 year old snake.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 12:27:39 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/22/2015 9:17 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
After reading your post, I realized that I had a snake that I had bought
30+ years ago and only used once.....

5 minutes and the sink was draining normally.

Thanks!!

Sigh. You will now hear complaints from people
about bringing up a 30 year old snake.

-

Elder abuse. How dare he! 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Silly Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/22/2015 5:40 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Thursday, May 21, 2015 at 7:33:22 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
the bathroom sink plugged up again.

Tried two doses of liquid cleaner, poked coat hangers down it but only
partially cleared it.

After dealing with this at least twice a year for 35 stinking years...I
went out and bought a $20 snake and cleared it out in 30 seconds.

Why in the hell did I not have a snake in the house, I have just about
every tool imaginable.

sheesh

Here's what I use and it can be safely used by anyone. I hang it on the wall in the towel closet. I kept a couple in my van back when I was able to work that I would give friends or customers when they had a clogged sink. 8-)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraf...-100665735-_-N

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ljekhyz

[8~{} Uncle Sink Monster

I've got one of those! It works quite nicely, too.

--
rebel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 May 2015 07:27:48 -0500, philo wrote:

On 05/22/2015 06:27 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

They're dirty?

Since the clog was very possibly just soap the snake did not come out
dirty at all.

I use a hand cranked drum with a 3/8" diam snake. Think it holds 25'.
Just use some rag to wipe the snake down before pushing it back in the
drum.
Just did the tub and pulled out a bunch of hair. It was my son who
spotted the screw on the lever activated plug. I never saw it in the
18 years of bathing in that tub. That was a "cosmetic" screw, hiding
the screw that attaches the plug to the lever. Luckily they both came
off with no trouble, and the snake fit past the lever mechanism.
Had to use scissors to cut the hair that was caught by the lever bar.
About 4 years I got some hair out by using detergent and plunging
repeatedly, and got the drain was flowing okay, but a bit slow.
This time the detergent and plunging stopped it from flowing at all.
Must have just loosened it up or swelled it up and caused a complete
blockage.
I think some of the hair I pulled out this time was my daughter's who
hasn't lived here for 6 years. My wife has been using a plastic
screen drain since I got the hair out 4 years ago, but maybe it's
letting some of her hair through, or maybe that was all old hair that
was catching soap.
Not sure. It's draining as fast as it ever did now.
So to answer Tony's question about how it happens, in my case it's the
mechanism catching the hair. Though well made, this lever activated
pop-up plug also catches hair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 May 2015 06:23:24 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Why in the hell did I not have a snake in the house, I have just about
every tool imaginable.

Come to Florida. Just yesterday evening I came across one in one of our
bathrooms. It was curled up on the window sill and tried to bite me when I
picked it up to transfer it to its natural habitat.

No idea how it got in; true, it was a baby but the house is pretty tight. I
found a Cuban tree frog in the toilet a couple of weeks ago and figure it
came down the vent pipe but doubt the snake did.

_Snake In Toilet Bites Man's Penis During Bathroom Trip_

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/16/snake-toilet-bites-mans-penis_n_3600341.html

_Snakes in a toilet: Hueytown police go fishing for cottonmouth_

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2014/07/snakes_in_a_toilet_hueytown_po.html

....keep the light on
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/22/15 4:32 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
I think some of the hair I pulled out this time was my daughter's who
hasn't lived here for 6 years.

I'm surprised that bacteria wouldn't eat hair in 6 years. Some say it's
a combination of hair and soap scum that clogs drains. Baking soda can
turn soap scum into soluble soap.

Plumbing-raleigh.com recommends equal parts baking soda and vinegar as
the first thing to try for a hair clog. Vinegar is 95% water, so the
mixture is essentially baking soda and water. I doubt the vinegar helps.

When my kitchen drain gets a little slow, I remove the strainer and put
in a tablespoon or so of baking soda. I add an ounce or so of water to
wash it down. Then I wait at least 5 minutes.

Then I put a rubber cover (universal plug) over the drain and put a
couple of inches of water in the sink. I remove the cover and plunge.
Some of the black stuff that was coating the pipe will come up, and
water will drain faster. I've tried it without using baking soda. The
soda seems to help.

When I've done it in the bathroom sink, I've had to block the overflow.
I've also sped up my shower drain that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/22/2015 04:18 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 5/22/15 4:32 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
I think some of the hair I pulled out this time was my daughter's who
hasn't lived here for 6 years.

I'm surprised that bacteria wouldn't eat hair in 6 years. Some say it's
a combination of hair and soap scum that clogs drains. Baking soda can
turn soap scum into soluble soap.

Plumbing-raleigh.com recommends equal parts baking soda and vinegar as
the first thing to try for a hair clog. Vinegar is 95% water, so the
mixture is essentially baking soda and water. I doubt the vinegar helps.

Makes no sense to me.

Vinegar is acid, baking soda a base

so they'd approximately cancel each other out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

Why in the hell did I not have a snake in the house, I have just about
every tool imaginable.

Come to Florida. Just yesterday evening I came across one in one of our
bathrooms. It was curled up on the window sill and tried to bite me when I
picked it up to transfer it to its natural habitat.

No idea how it got in; true, it was a baby but the house is pretty tight. I
found a Cuban tree frog in the toilet a couple of weeks ago and figure it
came down the vent pipe but doubt the snake did.

_Snake In Toilet Bites Man's Penis During Bathroom Trip_

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/16/snake-toilet-bites-mans-penis_n_3600341.html

_Snakes in a toilet: Hueytown police go fishing for cottonmouth_

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2014/07/snakes_in_a_toilet_hueytown_po.html

...keep the light on

Trouser snake aye?

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

Is this baby snake coiled up outside a gopher snake or a rattler? Danny D Home Repair 93 September 14th 13 08:29 PM
Snake oil? The Medway Handyman UK diy 11 March 17th 13 09:22 PM
Snake Oil? The Medway Handyman UK diy 51 April 10th 11 10:27 PM
Snake ID SteveB Home Repair 21 September 14th 07 04:56 PM
Convert model w/snake, to non-snake? karlt10 Woodworking 4 November 26th 06 08:23 AM