Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Snake oil?

Seems to good to be true?

Bedec Multi Surface Paint

Interior and Exterior Paint
No primer or undercoat needed
Use on a variety of surfaces including wood, MDF, metals, plastics,
tiles, masonry, plaster and UPVC.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p846... ign=130318-UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Seems to good to be true?

Bedec Multi Surface Paint

Interior and Exterior Paint
No primer or undercoat needed
Use on a variety of surfaces including wood, MDF, metals, plastics,
tiles, masonry, plaster and UPVC.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p846... ign=130318-UK

Gold plated as well at that price...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Seems to good to be true?

Bedec Multi Surface Paint

AFAICR "MSP" paint's been around for years actually; I think I have an
old tin somewhere myself.

They used it all the time on that "Changing Rooms" programme on the
telly - not that that means anything of course!

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2013 22:18, John Rumm wrote:
Seems to good to be true?

Bedec Multi Surface Paint

Interior and Exterior Paint
No primer or undercoat needed
Use on a variety of surfaces including wood, MDF, metals, plastics,
tiles, masonry, plaster and UPVC.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p846... ign=130318-UK

Gold plated as well at that price...

"If" it works, the price compares with 1 x primer + 1 x gloss - and a
huge labour saving.

"If" it works :-)

There are some positive comments around the web. Apparently the company
is very small hence does not have Dulux-level advertising.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There used to be a paint that claimed to key in by slightly eroding the
surface it was applied to. It was many years ago on Tomorrows World, and I
nver heard of it ever again. Could this be it?
Mind you if its that good, why have we not seen it everywhere?

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Seems to good to be true?

Bedec Multi Surface Paint

Interior and Exterior Paint
No primer or undercoat needed
Use on a variety of surfaces including wood, MDF, metals, plastics, tiles,
masonry, plaster and UPVC.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p846... ign=130318-UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2013 08:58, Brian Gaff wrote:
There used to be a paint that claimed to key in by slightly eroding the
surface it was applied to. It was many years ago on Tomorrows World, and I
nver heard of it ever again. Could this be it?
Mind you if its that good, why have we not seen it everywhere?

Brian

This is the principle of "etch primers" which are widely used on metals
in industrial and manufacturing applications. Generally contain
phosphoric acid so removes some metal and leaves a phosphate coat.

--
For every complex problem, there is a solution which is simple, neat,
and wrong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2013 10:17, newshound wrote:
On 16/03/2013 08:58, Brian Gaff wrote:
There used to be a paint that claimed to key in by slightly eroding the
surface it was applied to. It was many years ago on Tomorrows World,
and I
nver heard of it ever again. Could this be it?
Mind you if its that good, why have we not seen it everywhere?

Brian

This is the principle of "etch primers" which are widely used on metals
in industrial and manufacturing applications. Generally contain
phosphoric acid so removes some metal and leaves a phosphate coat.

I've seen decades old paint still perfectly sound on window glass. Go
figure as they say
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Seems to good to be true?

Bedec Multi Surface Paint

Interior and Exterior Paint
No primer or undercoat needed
Use on a variety of surfaces including wood, MDF, metals, plastics, tiles,
masonry, plaster and UPVC.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p846... ign=130318-UK

Based on the very good products that I've had from Toolstation over the
years, I'd be prepared to believe that if they stock it, it works ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2013 01:51, Arfa Daily wrote:

Based on the very good products that I've had from Toolstation over the
years, I'd be prepared to believe that if they stock it, it works ...

Hmm, not so sure about that! I use them all the time, but TBH it's
based on their excellent customer service and prices rather than quality
of their products.

Which is not to say that the majority of what they sell isn't fine; but
your statement is over-egging the pudding a bit I think.

(Eg - bought a set of 8mm copper tube benders from them a while ago;
they arrived with a loose mechanism and wouldn't work; I had no problem
at all in obtaining a replacement delivered the following day. However,
that one was barely any better; it *just* managed the job in hand but
left the pipe all grooved. So that one went back as well, this time for
a refund...)

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2013 12:28, Lobster wrote:
[...]

Trouble with Toolsatan is the Silverline stuff, which isn't always good.
Their HSS drill bits for example, are made from recycled cheese...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lobster
writes
On 17/03/2013 01:51, Arfa Daily wrote:

Based on the very good products that I've had from Toolstation over the
years, I'd be prepared to believe that if they stock it, it works ...

Hmm, not so sure about that! I use them all the time, but TBH it's
based on their excellent customer service and prices rather than quality
of their products.

Which is not to say that the majority of what they sell isn't fine; but
your statement is over-egging the pudding a bit I think.

Think you've summed it up well, some stuff is fine but some really is
cheap ****, definitely 'contract' grade or lower.

eg. They no longer sell copper telephone cable. They used to sell some
stuff that was priced at copper levels and some cheaper CCA stuff. I
bought some of the more expensive stuff which turned out to be CCS which
I took back for a refund as poorly described. I then made a point of
telling the buying team that someone had fooked up and misbought CCS
instead of copper. As they had a warehouse full of CCS they decided to
solve the problem dropping 'copper' and just selling CCS and CCA which
are both of course ****. After a while, and with a little persuasion,
they corrected the descriptions and sorted the prices to reflect those
expected of copper plated fence wire.

Definitely a store where the buyer needs to keep their eyes open.

Note I'm not suggesting that the close competition is much better.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2013 10:38, stuart noble wrote:
On 16/03/2013 10:17, newshound wrote:
On 16/03/2013 08:58, Brian Gaff wrote:
There used to be a paint that claimed to key in by slightly eroding the
surface it was applied to. It was many years ago on Tomorrows World,
and I
nver heard of it ever again. Could this be it?
Mind you if its that good, why have we not seen it everywhere?

Brian

This is the principle of "etch primers" which are widely used on metals
in industrial and manufacturing applications. Generally contain
phosphoric acid so removes some metal and leaves a phosphate coat.

I've seen decades old paint still perfectly sound on window glass. Go
figure as they say

No mystery. Glass is inert (unlike ferrous metals) and it doesn't move
around like wood does.

Snake ID Steve B[_13_] Home Repair 1 May 8th 12 11:09 PM
Snake Oil? The Medway Handyman UK diy 51 April 10th 11 10:27 PM
Snake ID SteveB Home Repair 21 September 14th 07 04:56 PM
Convert model w/snake, to non-snake? karlt10 Woodworking 4 November 26th 06 08:23 AM
toilet snake bevusa Home Repair 1 April 19th 06 01:46 AM