Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snake ID

SteveB wrote in message
While pulling some bushes today, we encountered a snake. About
1" in diameter, and three feet long. A copperish color,
but more of a pinkish light brown. Pointy long tail. Not
aggressive, but didn't want to be ejected from his bush. We
had to pester him for quite a bit before he made a break. This
is in Southern Utah. Any ideas of the kind of snake this is?

Sixty-four species of reptiles call Utah home. This include 34
kinds of snakes from the cagey rattlesnake to the mild-mannered
gopher snake to the very harmless grass snake.

Here's a description that fits what you describe...

http://books.google.com/books?id=jE3...iL7s#PPA187,M1

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
While pulling some bushes today, we encountered a snake. About 1" in
diameter, and three feet long. A copperish color, but more of a pinkish
light brown. Pointy long tail. Not aggressive, but didn't want to be
ejected from his bush. We had to pester him for quite a bit before he made
a break. This is in Southern Utah. Any ideas of the kind of snake this is?

Aggressive or not, my googling shows there are a lot of poisonous snakes
in Utah. Try googling Utah snakes, photos, etc. and you might find yours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
. ..
SteveB wrote:
While pulling some bushes today, we encountered a snake. About 1" in
diameter, and three feet long. A copperish color, but more of a pinkish
light brown. Pointy long tail. Not aggressive, but didn't want to be
ejected from his bush. We had to pester him for quite a bit before he
made a break. This is in Southern Utah. Any ideas of the kind of snake
this is?

Aggressive or not, my googling shows there are a lot of poisonous snakes
in Utah. Try googling Utah snakes, photos, etc. and you might find yours.

So far, according to my googling, it looks like a glossy snake (actual
species name) and brown snake.
http://dwrcdc.nr.utah.gov/rsgis2/Sea...?FlNm=arizeleg

I guess if I had to come up with a color, it would be a Starbucks frozen
latte frappucino. Mostly tan, but with a slight tinge of pink, red, and
shiny.

He wasn't being aggressive, and I didn't have my snake gun handy, so all I
wanted to do was move him along. We live at the END of the road, and any
extra mousers are welcome here. We don't let the cats out at night because
the coyotes like them over tacos.

I do have a proclivity for shooting rattlers, as I have had CABGX5 AVR, take
coumadin, and don't want to mess with an episode of snakebite.

We have also flushed out a California king snake. A beautiful creature (for
a snake) with dark and white rings. Heard they go after gophers, but I
still have gophers in my yard. If he doesn't start doing his job, I may
just fire him.

I am presently building an oxygen and propane injection system that will
fill gopher burrows with explosive gas, then hit it with a spark. That is,
if I EVER get done with honeydews, and now a 1,005 sf Mother In Law
quarters, followed by a 1500 sf shop if my money and heart hold out that
long.

We also have free ranging coyotes, lots of scorpions, huge spiders (no
harmless tarantulas seen yet), and various other critters of the night.
Rule one is: if you stay outside the yard, you're okay. If you come inside
the yard or the house, you may not be okay.

Lots of quail, dove, inca dove, hummers, hawks, crows, rabbits, rodents, and
various other local desert wildlife visit occasionally.

I guess it's the price to be paid when you move to the end of the road next
to canyons, sand dunes, starry starry nights, undisturbed landscapes, and
you're the odd man out.

I can deal with it.

Except the spiders.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"SteveB" wrote in message
While pulling some bushes today, we encountered a snake. About 1" in
diameter, and three feet long. A copperish color, but more of a pinkish
light brown. Pointy long tail. Not aggressive, but didn't want to be
ejected from his bush. We had to pester him for quite a bit before he

made
a break. This is in Southern Utah. Any ideas of the kind of snake this

is?

A 12 gauge would have work GREAT!!!!! :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"SteveB" wrote in message

I can deal with it.

I could deal with it too... I'm MOVING!!!! :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Sep 12, 7:31 pm, "SteveB" wrote:

We have also flushed out a California king snake. A beautiful creature (for
a snake) with dark and white rings. Heard they go after gophers, but I
still have gophers in my yard. If he doesn't start doing his job, I may
just fire him.

Many varieties of king snakes will also eat other snakes, including
rattlers if they're of the right size. I'd encourage them to stay.

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
[...]

I was surprised with the colorful variety of snakes I came up with
googling the area. We have no poisonous snakes here in DE except for an
isolated area with copperheads but I did relocate a garter snake and
black snake this year because my wife is deathly afraid of them. I'm on
coumadin too and little bites and scrapes can be annoying.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote

snipped for sanitary reasons

How did you slither out of my killfile? Back in with you.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"SteveB" wrote in message

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote

snipped for sanitary reasons

How did you slither out of my killfile? Back in with you.

Steve

Your computer didn't want you missing important information. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

temp @ usenet.com wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote

snipped for sanitary reasons

How did you slither out of my killfile? Back in with you.

Steve

Your computer didn't want you missing important information. :-)

Guess I didn't think taking a 12 ga. to a harmless vermin eating snake was
important information. I will just have to plod along aimlessly in the dark
without kjpro's input.

Woe is me!

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

news

"SteveB" wrote in message

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote

snipped for sanitary reasons

How did you slither out of my killfile? Back in with you.

Steve

Your computer didn't want you missing important information. :-)

Guess I didn't think taking a 12 ga. to a harmless vermin eating snake was
important information.

Yeah, ok, whatever... you know it's harmless, yet you're here asking a
question to identify what type of snake it is...
That's just too funny!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"tony" wrote in message

Disregard this Idiot he can't tell difference between day and night

Hehe... Tony, get a clue...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 20:17:44 -0500, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"tony" wrote in message

Disregard this Idiot he can't tell difference between day and night

Hehe... Tony, get a clue...

You need the new and _improved_ Norton ClueFinder software!

You are a troll and a NYM shifter - that's your clue!

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:15:52 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

While pulling some bushes today, we encountered a snake. About 1" in
diameter, and three feet long. A copperish color, but more of a pinkish
light brown. Pointy long tail. Not aggressive, but didn't want to be
ejected from his bush. We had to pester him for quite a bit before he made
a break. This is in Southern Utah. Any ideas of the kind of snake this is?

Here is a link to usu.edu. Learn what a viper is and the pupils of
the eye. "Utah is home to 31 species of snakes. Of these,
seven are venomous."

http://extension.usu.edu/files/publi.../NR_WD_008.pdf
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Oren" wrote in message

You are a troll and a NYM shifter - that's your clue!

You can think what you want, I know the truth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:46:30 -0500, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .

You are a troll and a NYM shifter - that's your clue!

You can think what you want, I know the truth.

So?!! No denial?

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Oren" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:46:30 -0500, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .

You are a troll and a NYM shifter - that's your clue!

You can think what you want, I know the truth.

So?!!

You're an idiot?

No denial?

Think what you wish...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 23:24:50 -0500, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Think what you wish...

Go away, even if you are ticked off :-)))

Just go away! Beam him up HVAC!

HVAC too tower?!

Tell us your most unique snake episode and how close were you too
actually being struck? Even go back a few years. We all want to hear
it. Were you face to face this pit viper?

30.06 vs 12 ga. on the snake, mid-strike? I gotta know!

GRIN

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Oren" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 23:24:50 -0500, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Think what you wish...

Go away, even if you are ticked off :-)))

Looks like you're the one that's ticked off. LOL

Convert model w/snake, to non-snake? karlt10 Woodworking 4 November 26th 06 09:23 AM
toilet snake bevusa Home Repair 1 April 19th 06 02:46 AM
electricians snake JJ UK diy 9 December 6th 04 02:24 PM
snake recommendations mike Home Repair 3 November 19th 04 04:57 AM