Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Tires only go in one direction

OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction. I
want to learn about these things but I don't know what they are called.
What are they called.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/2015 1:45 AM, micky wrote:
OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction. I
want to learn about these things but I don't know what they are called.
What are they called.

Steel belted radical.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction. I
want to learn about these things but I don't know what they are called.
What are they called.

Directional or unidirectional?
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction. I
want to learn about these things but I don't know what they are called.
What are they called.

They are called directional tires. They provide better traction when spinning in
the proper direction.
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 9:27:07 AM UTC-5, Ron in NY wrote:
micky wrote:

OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction. I
want to learn about these things but I don't know what they are called.
What are they called.

They are called directional tires. They provide better traction when spinning in
the proper direction.

I believe I first saw those tires factory supplied on the Corvette. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Tire Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction. I
want to learn about these things but I don't know what they are called.
What are they called.

They are called directional tires. They provide better traction when spinning in
the proper direction.

I believe I first saw those tires factory supplied on the Corvette. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Tire Monster

There's a guy in a nearby town with a 'Vette. Convertible. His
St. Bernard rides shotgun while the guy tools around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/10/2015 1:45 AM, micky wrote:
OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction. I
want to learn about these things but I don't know what they are called.
What are they called.

Steel belted radical.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Ad look at their tread design(pattern)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/10/2015 1:45 AM, micky wrote:
OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction. I
want to learn about these things but I don't know what they are called.
What are they called.

Steel belted radical.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

And look at the tread design(pattern)
Most today's tires are directional.
Can't rotate them side to side any more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction. I
want to learn about these things but I don't know what they are called.
What are they called.

Only a pair? You are driving on a mismatched tires?
Hope your car is not AWD type.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/15 1:45 AM, micky wrote:
OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction. I
want to learn about these things but I don't know what they are called.
What are they called.

Read Tire Racks's explanation of directional tires he

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=188

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 May 2015 06:48:10 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 5/10/2015 1:45 AM, micky wrote:
OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction. I
want to learn about these things but I don't know what they are called.
What are they called.

Steel belted radical.

LOL
--
"I am the infidel your Imam warned you about." Jan Morgan, Gun
Cave Indoor Firing Range operator.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 May 2015 10:11:57 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

They are called directional tires. They provide better traction when spinning in
the proper direction.

I believe I first saw those tires factory supplied on the Corvette. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Tire Monster

There's a guy in a nearby town with a 'Vette. Convertible. His
St. Bernard rides shotgun while the guy tools around.

He can't get a hot chick anymore and has now gone to the dogs?

Shame, shame, shame
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

They are called directional tires. They provide better traction when
spinning in
the proper direction.

I believe I first saw those tires factory supplied on the Corvette. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Tire Monster

There's a guy in a nearby town with a 'Vette. Convertible. His
St. Bernard rides shotgun while the guy tools around.

He can't get a hot chick anymore and has now gone to the dogs?

Shame, shame, shame

no, the dog is the babe magnet for those babes not into cars.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/15 1:45 AM, micky wrote:
OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction.

You must park on the street. I have a driveway. I couldn't use tires
that only go in one direction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 May 2015 14:06:55 -0400, J Burns
wrote:

On 5/10/15 1:45 AM, micky wrote:
OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction.

You must park on the street. I have a driveway. I couldn't use tires
that only go in one direction.

Sure you could. The tires only go in one direction at a time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 May 2015 12:48:50 -0400, Retired wrote:

On 5/10/15 1:45 AM, micky wrote:
OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction. I
want to learn about these things but I don't know what they are called.
What are they called.

Read Tire Racks's explanation of directional tires he

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=188

Thanks. I opened this, and I'll read it today.

Directional. I think I can remember that. Thanks everyone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/10/15 1:45 AM, micky wrote:
OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction.

You must park on the street. I have a driveway. I couldn't use tires
that only go in one direction.

Sure you could. The tires only go in one direction at a time.

No, he's right. If someone ever gets his car stuck like this, he can
lengthen the driveway and make it circular. They have 24-hour paving
companies for that reason.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction. I
want to learn about these things but I don't know what they are called.
What are they called.

They are called directional tires. They provide better traction when spinning in
the proper direction.

I believe I first saw those tires factory supplied on the Corvette. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Tire Monster

There's a guy in a nearby town with a 'Vette. Convertible. His
St. Bernard rides shotgun while the guy tools around.

My hound sat in the passenger seat of my small car while I drove around and I had people ask me who the ugly woman was who was riding in my car. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Hound Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 11:32:46 AM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/10/2015 1:45 AM, micky wrote:
OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction. I
want to learn about these things but I don't know what they are called..
What are they called.

Steel belted radical.

-

And look at the tread design(pattern)
Most today's tires are directional.
Can't rotate them side to side any more.

It's always been recommended, unless the practice has changed, to rotate radial tires moving them front to back on the same side of the vehicle instead of the original "X" pattern for bias ply tires. It had something to do with the flexible sidewall of a radial tire developing a set during use. This is all from my memory without an Internet search. Dang! Now I have to look it up! o_O

[8~{} Uncle Radial Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/10/15 1:45 AM, micky wrote:
OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction.

You must park on the street. I have a driveway. I couldn't use tires
that only go in one direction.

Sure you could. The tires only go in one direction at a time.

No, he's right. If someone ever gets his car stuck like this, he can
lengthen the driveway and make it circular. They have 24-hour paving
companies for that reason.

After they told me I was no longer welcome at school, I began flashing
my diploma so people would know I'd been honorably discharged.
Everybody thought I'd be perfect in the heat-treating pit at a knife
plant. All day long, I'd load about 1600 pounds of blades onto a
300-pound cart, push them up a steep concrete ramp, and unload them.

A lot of cars didn't weigh much more than my loaded cart. When somebody
parked in my way and I couldn't get the door open, I'd pick it up and
move it. I had a little secret: don't try to pick up both ends at the
same time.

Picking up a car by the bumper hurt my fingers because I didn't own
gloves. As long as I didn't get blisters, I figured it was okay. Bumpers
are so flimsy these days that I wouldn't dare try to turn my car around
in my driveway that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction. I
want to learn about these things but I don't know what they are called.
What are they called.

They are called directional tires. They provide better traction when spinning in
the proper direction.

I believe I first saw those tires factory supplied on the Corvette. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Tire Monster

They were very common on farm tractors and road building equipment
long before the 'Vette saw them!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/10/2015 1:45 AM, micky wrote:
OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction. I
want to learn about these things but I don't know what they are called.
What are they called.

Steel belted radical.

-

And look at the tread design(pattern)
Most today's tires are directional.
Can't rotate them side to side any more.

It's always been recommended, unless the practice has changed, to rotate radial tires moving them front to back on the same side of the vehicle instead of the original "X" pattern for bias ply tires. It had something to do with the flexible sidewall of a radial tire developing a set during use. This is all from my memory without an Internet search. Dang! Now I have to look it up! o_O

[8~{} Uncle Radial Monster

All the tire "experts" say that is hogwash - but I dissagree with
them and agree with "unc" - I never swith a radial from one side of
the car to the other.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/15 1:45 AM, micky wrote:
OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction. I
want to learn about these things but I don't know what they are called.
What are they called.

Read Tire Racks's explanation of directional tires he

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=188

Thanks. I opened this, and I'll read it today.

Directional. I think I can remember that. Thanks everyone.

On their track, engineered like most roads, backward tires performed
fine. That was my experience on motorcycles. I'd run at 80 or 90 in
hard rain.

Ice was more interesting, but the coefficient of friction for tires is
about .15, so it was okay. Wet ice was trickier, with a CF of about .05.
Still, riding was safer than walking because my tires held better than
my hiking boots. I just had to remember I wasn't on dry asphalt.

One morning on a deserted interstate in heavy rain, I hit the low point
between two hills. I guess that's a saddle. I felt something new to me.
It felt like a CF of 0. I guess the road was flooded deep enough that
the rubber wasn't reaching the road.

I was afraid that if my tires started to slide from under me and they
suddenly got a good bite on the pavement at the other side, I'd be
slammed on my head. Riding a bike, I'd never paid attention to balance.
I did now. I sat very carefully and used my knees and hands to try to
hold the machine perfectly upright.

I'll bet invisible flooding like that is what causes most hydroplaning.
I guess directional tires can handle slightly deeper flooding if they
are mounted frontwards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/15 1:45 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

I believe hydroplaning occurs when surface has water, does not have to
be puddle(deep flooded water). Once I was heading down on a local
freeway doing 100kph in the rain when another guy merged in front of me
at very high speed, suddenly his car flew across median and speeding up
opposite direction perfectly and then caame to a stop slowly. He must
have realized how lucky he was and know by now hydroplaning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/15 4:15 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I believe hydroplaning occurs when surface has water, does not have to
be puddle(deep flooded water). Once I was heading down on a local
freeway doing 100kph in the rain when another guy merged in front of me
at very high speed, suddenly his car flew across median and speeding up
opposite direction perfectly and then caame to a stop slowly. He must
have realized how lucky he was and know by now hydroplaning.

When they tested on the wet track to see how fast they could maneuver,
they had no trouble. Maybe there was puddling too shallow to see, where
the guy lost control. The faster you go, the less water it takes to
float you. I see another possibility.

In the late 1970s, there were a lot of wrecks at a curve on I-95 in
Providence in the first few minutes of a rain storm. Engineers said more
rubber and oil than usual had been deposited there during a long spell
without rain. The water loosened it, making a slick surface. They said
it could happen anywhere. So if you want to race your motorcycle in the
rain after a dry spell, give the rain a few minutes to wash the roads!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Winter treads...
Here's how I see it concerning winter tread
designs.
The none powered tire is only subject to braking
forces and will 'cup' accordingly. The other tire
is
under power to turn so it will 'cup' the opposite
way
from the other. So as they start to show signs of
cupping it is good to swap positions. It will give
better braking and better traction because the
'cup'
will catch instead of slipping. And of course, you
have
winter treads on all four, right? Sure hope you
do...
What they call all season are actually three
season.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/10/15 1:45 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

I had a little rear engined car that weighed 1,730lbs and I could pick it up by the front bumper and drag it around. Of course that was 40 years ago and I can't even walk right now. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Crippled Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction. I
want to learn about these things but I don't know what they are called.
What are they called.

They are called directional tires. They provide better traction when spinning in
the proper direction.

I believe I first saw those tires factory supplied on the Corvette. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Tire Monster

They were very common on farm tractors and road building equipment
long before the 'Vette saw them!!!

I thought the post was about automotive tires. I doubt the tractor tires have the same speed rating as the tires on a Corvette. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Obvious Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/10/15 1:45 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

My Mini ended up on the sidewalk many times, and a friend and
classmate had his set on the front stairs of the highschool. I had
mine picked up by 8 "friends" and carried through a field and over
fallen logs around a pond while I was gone for a couple hours.

Classmates blocked Frank's mini between their pontiac and Torino and
took the bus mome, so a few friends had to lift and slide it out after
basketball practice so he could drive home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/10/15 1:45 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

Are your feet no directional now?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I think I read about the front to back rotation of radial tires in either Popular Science, Popular Mechanics or Mechanics Illustrated magazines which I devoured for years. I always looked forward to every new issue prior to me doing most of my reading online. 8-)

Winter treads...
Here's how I see it concerning winter tread
designs.
The none powered tire is only subject to braking
forces and will 'cup' accordingly. The other tire
is
under power to turn so it will 'cup' the opposite
way
from the other. So as they start to show signs of
cupping it is good to swap positions. It will give
better braking and better traction because the
'cup'
will catch instead of slipping. And of course, you
have
winter treads on all four, right? Sure hope you
do...
What they call all season are actually three
season.

Here in Alabamastan we really don't see as much ice and snow as our Damn Yankee cousins. Heck, most folks down South have no clue how to drive in severe winter conditions which would be a mild snowfall for Northerners. We do have a lot of rain which makes hydroplaning more of a concern. The problem with that is most people have no idea how to drive in the friggin rain! o_O

[8~{} Uncle Slippery Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/10/15 1:45 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

I had a Renault-10 which was a rear engine 1,108cc water cooled 4 cyl.
I loved that little blue 4 door sedan. It was a lot of fun to drive. The car was so light that no power brakes or power steering was needed. 8-)

http://gomotors.net/photos/c1/c3/ren...or_8bc20.jpg?i

http://gomotors.net/Renault/Renault-10.html

[8~{} Uncle French Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/10/15 1:45 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

I rallied a '72 R12 for 3 years. It was the lowest powered car on the
circuit, and about the same weight as a civic - we finished 4, 3,
2,over 3 years running regional navigational series
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/10/15 1:45 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

I owned a blue Renault 16 in the 70's and it was a luxury car compared to my Renault 10. The French automobiles were odd but neat little cars. 8-)

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au...renault_16.php

[8~{} Uncle Odd Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 1:45:44 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction. I
want to learn about these things but I don't know what they are called.
What are they called.

My '86 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe came with unidirectional tires. I never understood what that was all about but when I rotated the tires, I made sure that the directional arrows on the sidewalls went the right way, figuring that it couldn't hurt and might help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/10/2015 01:47 PM, J Burns wrote:
On their track, engineered like most roads, backward tires performed
fine. That was my experience on motorcycles. I'd run at 80 or 90 in
hard rain.

On both motorcycles and bicycles some people mount the tires backwards
on purpose and swear by the results. While I'm sure tire engineers do a
lot of testing and computer simulation I sometimes think 'the pattern
looks kewl' plays a part.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/10/2015 04:54 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Here in Alabamastan we really don't see as much ice and snow as our Damn Yankee cousins. Heck, most folks down South have no clue how to drive in severe winter conditions which would be a mild snowfall for Northerners. We do have a lot of rain which makes hydroplaning more of a concern. The problem with that is most people have no idea how to drive in the friggin rain! o_O

It never rains in southern California -- until it does and then
everything turns to **** and I don't just mean the houses sliding down
the hillsides.

Trailer tires SteveB[_15_] Metalworking 7 May 15th 14 05:17 PM
Snowblower tires GoHabsGo[_3_] Home Repair 14 November 5th 09 02:33 PM
Band Saw Tires Leon Woodworking 12 February 28th 06 07:17 AM
Winter Tires? HotRod Home Repair 21 December 3rd 05 05:39 AM
bandsaw tires Christopher Cranmer Woodworking 8 August 24th 04 01:36 PM