Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default OT Tires only go in one direction

On 5/10/15 4:15 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I believe hydroplaning occurs when surface has water, does not have to
be puddle(deep flooded water). Once I was heading down on a local
freeway doing 100kph in the rain when another guy merged in front of me
at very high speed, suddenly his car flew across median and speeding up
opposite direction perfectly and then caame to a stop slowly. He must
have realized how lucky he was and know by now hydroplaning.

When they tested on the wet track to see how fast they could maneuver,
they had no trouble. Maybe there was puddling too shallow to see, where
the guy lost control. The faster you go, the less water it takes to
float you. I see another possibility.

In the late 1970s, there were a lot of wrecks at a curve on I-95 in
Providence in the first few minutes of a rain storm. Engineers said more
rubber and oil than usual had been deposited there during a long spell
without rain. The water loosened it, making a slick surface. They said
it could happen anywhere. So if you want to race your motorcycle in the
rain after a dry spell, give the rain a few minutes to wash the roads!