Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default Band Saw Tires

I am considering the purchase of a new band saw when the woodworking show
comes around in Houston next month. I am looking at the Minimax MM16 and
the Laguna 16HD. Both have cast iron wheels however Laguna glues the tires
to the wheels. Mr."Laguna" indicates of course that the tires should be
glued to the wheels. Minimax on the other hand advertises that their tires
fit on groves and do use an adhesive to hold them in place.

Which is better? Is it personal preference or is one better than the other?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Juergen Hannappel

"Leon" writes:

I am considering the purchase of a new band saw when the woodworking show
comes around in Houston next month. I am looking at the Minimax MM16 and
the Laguna 16HD. Both have cast iron wheels however Laguna glues the tires
to the wheels. Mr."Laguna" indicates of course that the tires should be
glued to the wheels. Minimax on the other hand advertises that their tires
fit on groves and do use an adhesive to hold them in place.

Enlighten me: What is the difference between "gluing" and "using an
adhesive"?

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Juergen Hannappel" wrote in message
"Leon" writes:

I am considering the purchase of a new band saw when the woodworking show
comes around in Houston next month. I am looking at the Minimax MM16 and
the Laguna 16HD. Both have cast iron wheels however Laguna glues the
tires
to the wheels. Mr."Laguna" indicates of course that the tires should be
glued to the wheels. Minimax on the other hand advertises that their
tires
fit on groves and do use an adhesive to hold them in place.

Enlighten me: What is the difference between "gluing" and "using an
adhesive"?

Bad proof reading on my part.

The MiniMax DOES NOT use adhesive.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Leon" wrote in message
news Minimax on the other hand advertises that their tires
fit on groves and do use an adhesive to hold them in place.

Make that, the MiniMax DOES NOT use adhesive.

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

"Leon" wrote in message
news
I am considering the purchase of a new band saw when the woodworking show
comes around in Houston next month. I am looking at the Minimax MM16 and
the Laguna 16HD. Both have cast iron wheels however Laguna glues the tires
to the wheels. Mr."Laguna" indicates of course that the tires should be
glued to the wheels. Minimax on the other hand advertises that their tires
fit on groves and do use an adhesive to hold them in place.

Which is better? Is it personal preference or is one better than the
other?

I am also still looking at bandsaws. Thanks fir the heads up on the wood
shows. I am probably gonna hit the Chantilly show and take a serious look
at the LT16.

Are the tires usually a problem? How often do they need replacing? Would
it be possible to replace the laguna tires?

I just finished watching the Laguna DVD. If you have not requested it, I
highly recommend it!

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
m...

I am also still looking at bandsaws. Thanks fir the heads up on the wood
shows. I am probably gonna hit the Chantilly show and take a serious look
at the LT16.

I am considering the LT 16 and 14 also however these 3 smaller saws are
built differently than the 16HD and up band saws. In particular, the guides
under the table are situated differently. With the 3 smaller saws the
turnions are located at the back and front of the table. The lower guide is
located behind the front trunion and in front of the back trunion. Although
the table incert allows adjustments through the top I fear that the right
hand will have to reach under to do some adjustments that are hidden by the
front trunion. The larger saws have the lower guides in front of the
trunion in plain view and they will adjust up and down. I do not want
another saw that is a PIA to adjust. I too hope to see if this is an actual
problem when at the show.

Are the tires usually a problem? How often do they need replacing? Would
it be possible to replace the laguna tires?

Typically the tires are not a problem and the ones on my 23 year old
Craftasman were still soft and plyable when I sold it a few weeks ago. I
have read that in general tires may need to be replaced as often as every 2
years on any particular brand saw. I think that has more to do with the
kind of blades you use and how many hours a day you run the saw. The glued
on tires are replacable but would obviousely be more trouble than tires
designed to be changed quickly with out an adjesive. I wonder what the
advantage would be to the glued on tire vs the MiniMax style tire.

I just finished watching the Laguna DVD. If you have not requested it, I
highly recommend it!

Is that the one that demonstrates the Knapp Combination machines also. Way
cool. I confess that I have watched that DVD more than one, er three or
four times. LOL
I noticed that Mr."Laguna" changes out a blade on the 14" saw and shows how
to adjust the upper guides but for some reason skips over showing the
adjustments on the lower guides. This could be hiding the difficulty on
those guides hidden by the front table trunion.

For piece of mind, I ordered the MiniMax DVD for comparison also and it is
quite interesting also.
The MM16 MiniMax comes with European guides. I have used neither ceramic or
European guides but my main desire is to resaw and the ceramic guides along
with the Resaw King look better for this procedure. The mobility kit
available for the MiniMax also seems to be awkward when using the Johnson
bar to lift and push the saw around. It hooks into the foot brake. Humm.
The MiniMax is heavier but when you hit 450 lbs I wonder if 50 lbs is a big
advantage over the Laguna. Additionally the MiniMax has a touch more HP and
has a cast iron fence. Neither seems to be a real advantage over the Laguna
as the Laguna fence is aluminum and can be set up as either tall or short.

When I talked to the Laguna rep about the show he indicated that the show
normally offers better pricing and free shipping.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:06:24 +0100, with neither quill nor qualm,
Juergen Hannappel quickly quoth:

"Leon" writes:

I am considering the purchase of a new band saw when the woodworking show
comes around in Houston next month. I am looking at the Minimax MM16 and
the Laguna 16HD. Both have cast iron wheels however Laguna glues the tires
to the wheels. Mr."Laguna" indicates of course that the tires should be
glued to the wheels. Minimax on the other hand advertises that their tires
fit on groves and do use an adhesive to hold them in place.

Enlighten me: What is the difference between "gluing" and "using an
adhesive"?

About $7.98, Jergy.

Now would you like to know what the differences are between adhesives
and grooves? wink

- Woodworkers of the world, Repent! Repeat after me:
"Forgive Me Father, For I Have Stained and Polyed."
-
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:01:08 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

I am considering the purchase of a new band saw when the woodworking show
comes around in Houston next month. I am looking at the Minimax MM16 and
the Laguna 16HD. Both have cast iron wheels however Laguna glues the tires
to the wheels. Mr."Laguna" indicates of course that the tires should be
glued to the wheels. Minimax on the other hand advertises that their tires
fit on groves and do use an adhesive to hold them in place.

Which is better? Is it personal preference or is one better than the other?

In a properly designed Band Saw, with a tire of the proper size and
durometer, particularly if it has flanged wheels, it should not be
necessary to glue the tires on. If it does not have flanged wheels
then it probably should be put on with an adhesive.

There are at least a half million Delta 14" BS out there that did not
have the tires glued to the wheels.

That said, the only downside I can see to using an adhesive is when
you would need to change the tires because they are cut or worn. I
would ask the Laguna people how hat is achieved.

frank
Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

The one with NO groove will require "crowning" to get correct
tracking in my opinion. This question comes up quite a bit on
OWWM concerning older bandsaws that don't have the "groove" for
the tire to fit on. Some folks seem to get by without this process
but tracking can be a problem.

Leon wrote:
I am considering the purchase of a new band saw when the woodworking show
comes around in Houston next month. I am looking at the Minimax MM16 and
the Laguna 16HD. Both have cast iron wheels however Laguna glues the tires
to the wheels. Mr."Laguna" indicates of course that the tires should be
glued to the wheels. Minimax on the other hand advertises that their tires
fit on groves and do use an adhesive to hold them in place.

Which is better? Is it personal preference or is one better than the other?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 20:29:27 GMT, Pat Barber
wrote:

The one with NO groove will require "crowning" to get correct
tracking in my opinion. This question comes up quite a bit on
OWWM concerning older bandsaws that don't have the "groove" for
the tire to fit on. Some folks seem to get by without this process
but tracking can be a problem.

Doesn't matter if it is flanged, grooved or flat, all require a crown
in order to track.

Leon wrote:
I am considering the purchase of a new band saw when the woodworking show
comes around in Houston next month. I am looking at the Minimax MM16 and
the Laguna 16HD. Both have cast iron wheels however Laguna glues the tires
to the wheels. Mr."Laguna" indicates of course that the tires should be
glued to the wheels. Minimax on the other hand advertises that their tires
fit on groves and do use an adhesive to hold them in place.

Which is better? Is it personal preference or is one better than the other?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote:

In a properly designed Band Saw, with a tire of the proper size and
durometer, particularly if it has flanged wheels, it should not be
necessary to glue the tires on. If it does not have flanged wheels
then it probably should be put on with an adhesive.

There are at least a half million Delta 14" BS out there that did not
have the tires glued to the wheels.

All of that makes sense to me but with the 14" saws in mind, a wide blade is
not recomended. IIRC one of the manufacturers, I think Laguna, recomends
that when using wide blades to track the blade near the front of the top
wheel so that the teeth do not come in contact with the tire. I wonder if
that would possibly result in the tire moving around or off the wheel if it
were not glued into position.

That said, the only downside I can see to using an adhesive is when
you would need to change the tires because they are cut or worn. I
would ask the Laguna people how hat is achieved.

Agreed but I would also think that if the adhesive were not evenly applied
that there could be high spots under the tire. Ill have to remember to ask
that question at the show.

Thank you

Posted to rec.woodworking
Scorp

wrote:

I am considering the purchase of a new band saw when the woodworking show
comes around in Houston next month. I am looking at the Minimax MM16 and
the Laguna 16HD. Both have cast iron wheels however Laguna glues the tires
to the wheels. Mr."Laguna" indicates of course that the tires should be
glued to the wheels. Minimax on the other hand advertises that their tires
fit on groves and do use an adhesive to hold them in place.

I have the LT18 and love it, the tires are not continuous bands
slipped over the wheel, but a strip glued on with a "scarf" joint.
Pretty tough rubber and I can't see needing to replace it often, but
way easier to find a replacement as opposed to a custom sized and
grooved setup. I'm sure they are simply shaped after gluing.

Just sawed up a log into 2" lumber with a 3tpi blade, way too many
teeth, but it went ok. I bought mine after Laguna went to the 4.5HP
Baldor, and before the Minimax followed so that was my deciding
factor, the Canadian version (Euroshop) was also more money than the
Laguna even with the smaller motor.

--------------------
Steve Jensen
Abbotsford B.C.
chopping out the mortise.
BBS'ing since 1982 at 300 bps.
Surfing along at 19200 bps since 95.
WW'ing since 1985
LV Cust #4114

Nothing catchy to say, well maybe.....
WAKE UP - There are no GODs you fools!
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Scorp" wrote in message

I have the LT18 and love it, the tires are not continuous bands
slipped over the wheel, but a strip glued on with a "scarf" joint.
Pretty tough rubber and I can't see needing to replace it often, but
way easier to find a replacement as opposed to a custom sized and
grooved setup. I'm sure they are simply shaped after gluing.

Thank you Steve that certainly tells me why Laguna glues their tires on.

Winter Tires? HotRod Home Repair 21 December 3rd 05 05:39 AM
Bandsaw tires source Boris Beizer Metalworking 6 July 8th 05 06:53 PM
Shopsmith bandsaw tires, no replacements for 1984 model. Jack Straight Woodworking 4 March 2nd 04 03:51 PM
Bandsaw tires Javier Henderson Woodworking 7 January 20th 04 10:26 PM
Question on bandsaw wheels / tires Roy Metalworking 5 December 26th 03 06:22 PM