Posted to rec.woodworking
Scorp

Default Band Saw Tires

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:01:08 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

I am considering the purchase of a new band saw when the woodworking show
comes around in Houston next month. I am looking at the Minimax MM16 and
the Laguna 16HD. Both have cast iron wheels however Laguna glues the tires
to the wheels. Mr."Laguna" indicates of course that the tires should be
glued to the wheels. Minimax on the other hand advertises that their tires
fit on groves and do use an adhesive to hold them in place.

I have the LT18 and love it, the tires are not continuous bands
slipped over the wheel, but a strip glued on with a "scarf" joint.
Pretty tough rubber and I can't see needing to replace it often, but
way easier to find a replacement as opposed to a custom sized and
grooved setup. I'm sure they are simply shaped after gluing.

Just sawed up a log into 2" lumber with a 3tpi blade, way too many
teeth, but it went ok. I bought mine after Laguna went to the 4.5HP
Baldor, and before the Minimax followed so that was my deciding
factor, the Canadian version (Euroshop) was also more money than the
Laguna even with the smaller motor.

Steve Jensen
Abbotsford B.C.
chopping out the mortise.