Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

Default Band Saw Tires

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:01:08 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

I am considering the purchase of a new band saw when the woodworking show
comes around in Houston next month. I am looking at the Minimax MM16 and
the Laguna 16HD. Both have cast iron wheels however Laguna glues the tires
to the wheels. Mr."Laguna" indicates of course that the tires should be
glued to the wheels. Minimax on the other hand advertises that their tires
fit on groves and do use an adhesive to hold them in place.

Which is better? Is it personal preference or is one better than the other?

In a properly designed Band Saw, with a tire of the proper size and
durometer, particularly if it has flanged wheels, it should not be
necessary to glue the tires on. If it does not have flanged wheels
then it probably should be put on with an adhesive.

There are at least a half million Delta 14" BS out there that did not
have the tires glued to the wheels.

That said, the only downside I can see to using an adhesive is when
you would need to change the tires because they are cut or worn. I
would ask the Laguna people how hat is achieved.

frank