Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Tires only go in one direction

On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 3:38:18 PM UTC-5, Phil Kangas wrote:
wrote in message
On Sun, 10 May 2015 11:43:21 -0700 (PDT), Uncle
Monster
wrote:

On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 11:32:46 AM UTC-5,
Tony Hwang wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/10/2015 1:45 AM, micky wrote:
OT I ended up with a pair of tires that
only go in one direction. I
want to learn about these things but I
don't know what they are called.
What are they called.

Steel belted radical.

-

And look at the tread design(pattern)
Most today's tires are directional.
Can't rotate them side to side any more.

It's always been recommended, unless the
practice has changed, to rotate radial tires
moving them front to back on the same side of
the vehicle instead of the original "X" pattern
for bias ply tires. It had something to do with
the flexible sidewall of a radial tire
developing a set during use. This is all from my
memory without an Internet search. Dang! Now I
have to look it up! o_O

[8~{} Uncle Radial Monster

All the tire "experts" say that is hogwash - but
I dissagree with
them and agree with "unc" - I never swith a
radial from one side of
the car to the other.

I think I read about the front to back rotation of radial tires in either Popular Science, Popular Mechanics or Mechanics Illustrated magazines which I devoured for years. I always looked forward to every new issue prior to me doing most of my reading online. 8-)

Winter treads...
Here's how I see it concerning winter tread
designs.
The none powered tire is only subject to braking
forces and will 'cup' accordingly. The other tire
is
under power to turn so it will 'cup' the opposite
way
from the other. So as they start to show signs of
cupping it is good to swap positions. It will give
better braking and better traction because the
'cup'
will catch instead of slipping. And of course, you
have
winter treads on all four, right? Sure hope you
do...
What they call all season are actually three
season.

Here in Alabamastan we really don't see as much ice and snow as our Damn Yankee cousins. Heck, most folks down South have no clue how to drive in severe winter conditions which would be a mild snowfall for Northerners. We do have a lot of rain which makes hydroplaning more of a concern. The problem with that is most people have no idea how to drive in the friggin rain! o_O

[8~{} Uncle Slippery Monster