Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Tires only go in one direction

On Sun, 10 May 2015 11:43:21 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 11:32:46 AM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/10/2015 1:45 AM, micky wrote:
OT I ended up with a pair of tires that only go in one direction. I
want to learn about these things but I don't know what they are called.
What are they called.

Steel belted radical.

-

And look at the tread design(pattern)
Most today's tires are directional.
Can't rotate them side to side any more.

It's always been recommended, unless the practice has changed, to rotate radial tires moving them front to back on the same side of the vehicle instead of the original "X" pattern for bias ply tires. It had something to do with the flexible sidewall of a radial tire developing a set during use. This is all from my memory without an Internet search. Dang! Now I have to look it up! o_O

[8~{} Uncle Radial Monster

All the tire "experts" say that is hogwash - but I dissagree with
them and agree with "unc" - I never swith a radial from one side of
the car to the other.