Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Energizer leaky batteries

This week, discovered leaky AA cells in my
closet light, and leaky AAA cells in a FRS
walkie talkie. AA in date, and AAA about
three months past expiry. I'm disapointed.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

In Stormin Mormon writes:

This week, discovered leaky AA cells in my
closet light, and leaky AAA cells in a FRS
walkie talkie. AA in date, and AAA about
three months past expiry. I'm disapointed.

Call up the battery company. I had a similar
problem with Duracell brand. They asked me
a few questions on the phone, then sent
me a prepaid debit card for pretty close
to the full value.

sidenote: whoever atctaully manufactures
these cells (and I've seen this with "Sears",
Duracell, and Everready, clearly changed
their forumlation a few years ago.

I'm old enough to recall 1980ish when they
all had adverts saying their new batteries
wouldn't leak. And sure enough, the leakage
problem ended.

Then about 5 years ago I, and other folk I've
spoken with, started seeing it again. Both
in batteries in appliances and also in
ones still in their original packaging.

.
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/15 6:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
This week, discovered leaky AA cells in my
closet light, and leaky AAA cells in a FRS
walkie talkie. AA in date, and AAA about
three months past expiry. I'm disapointed.

Don't put the leaky batteries in your eyes. The potassium hydroxide
could cause irritation.

Alkalines produce hydrogen when dead, and that blows seals. When did the
light and the walkie talkie last work okay?

An Eneloop should hold its charge for years, and I don't recall seeing a
leaky NiMH. If I spend $40 on a flashlight, that seems like an important
consideration.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2015 8:45 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 5/7/15 6:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
This week, discovered leaky AA cells in my
closet light, and leaky AAA cells in a FRS
walkie talkie. AA in date, and AAA about
three months past expiry. I'm disapointed.

Don't put the leaky batteries in your eyes. The potassium hydroxide
could cause irritation.

Alkalines produce hydrogen when dead, and that blows seals. When did the
light and the walkie talkie last work okay?

An Eneloop should hold its charge for years, and I don't recall seeing a
leaky NiMH. If I spend $40 on a flashlight, that seems like an important
consideration.

I vaguely remember reading that alkalines have a rather long shelf life,
BUT, once you start using them, that shelf life goes WAY down.
Don't remember them defining exactly what was happening chemically.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/07/2015 09:40 PM, danny burstein wrote:
Stormin writes:

This week, discovered leaky AA cells in my
closet light, and leaky AAA cells in a FRS
walkie talkie. AA in date, and AAA about
three months past expiry. I'm disapointed.

Call up the battery company. I had a similar
problem with Duracell brand. They asked me
a few questions on the phone, then sent
me a prepaid debit card for pretty close
to the full value.

Given Stormin's usual practices they were made by the Chung King Battery
Company in Xiangxi.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2015 11:40 PM, danny burstein wrote:
Call up the battery company. I had a similar
problem with Duracell brand. They asked me
a few questions on the phone, then sent
me a prepaid debit card for pretty close
to the full value.

sidenote: whoever atctaully manufactures
these cells (and I've seen this with "Sears",
Duracell, and Everready, clearly changed
their forumlation a few years ago.

I'm old enough to recall 1980ish when they
all had adverts saying their new batteries
wouldn't leak. And sure enough, the leakage
problem ended.

Then about 5 years ago I, and other folk I've
spoken with, started seeing it again. Both
in batteries in appliances and also in
ones still in their original packaging.

That is on my list of things to do. Can't remember
if Duracell or Energizer, one wanted the serial
or batch code lightly stamped into the side of
the battery. I'd never noticed that.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2015 11:45 PM, J Burns wrote:
Don't put the leaky batteries in your eyes. The potassium hydroxide
could cause irritation.

CY: How about nose? Would that be acceptable?
I doubt it....

Alkalines produce hydrogen when dead, and that blows seals. When did the
light and the walkie talkie last work okay?

CY: Didn't know that. Anyhow, the light worked a couple months ago, and
the batteries were in the walkie talkie less than a year.

An Eneloop should hold its charge for years, and I don't recall seeing a
leaky NiMH. If I spend $40 on a flashlight, that seems like an important
consideration.

CY: I've also never seen leaky NiMH. I've seen
leaky NiCd once.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2015 12:10 AM, mike wrote:
I vaguely remember reading that alkalines have a rather long shelf life,
BUT, once you start using them, that shelf life goes WAY down.
Don't remember them defining exactly what was happening chemically.

I'll try and remember to ask. OTOH, the phone
drone won't know.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2015 12:54 AM, rbowman wrote:

Given Stormin's usual practices they were

made by the Chung King Battery
Company in Xiangxi.

Most likely Ho Lee Krapp factory, in Lee
Kee Sells, China. Imported for fuzzy
Energizer bunny.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 May 2015 04:39:01 -0700, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 5/8/2015 12:54 AM, rbowman wrote:

Given Stormin's usual practices they were

made by the Chung King Battery
Company in Xiangxi.

Most likely Ho Lee Krapp factory, in Lee
Kee Sells, China. Imported for fuzzy
Energizer bunny.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

We all laugh at the poor quality of that molded Battery Charger which cost
us $0.80 Yet, it has been my observation that countries/companies can
learn how to make high quality, but they NEVER seem to learn how to make
low cost. I'm old enough to remember the cost quality ratios from Germany
AND from Japan. As a joke we used to pick up ANYTHING that broke, turn
pieces of it over, and preteend to read, "Made in Japan." and everyone had
a good laugh. Back then, German optics seemed like the ONLY source, now I
readily seek Japanese optics. Yep, the Germans NEVER learned how to lower
their prices, but the Japanese certainly learned how to make quality.
....now apply that concept to China's supply chain. ...shiver. The rest of
the world's manufacturing doesn't stand a chance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2015 7:39 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/8/2015 12:54 AM, rbowman wrote:

Given Stormin's usual practices they were

made by the Chung King Battery
Company in Xiangxi.

Most likely Ho Lee Krapp factory, in Lee
Kee Sells, China. Imported for fuzzy
Energizer bunny.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

My thought:
Crappy batteries or crappy device?
Will shorted out device contribute to battery leakage?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/08/2015 06:38 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
Back then, German optics seemed like the ONLY source, now I readily seek
Japanese optics. Yep, the Germans NEVER learned how to lower their
prices, but the Japanese certainly learned how to make quality. ...now
apply that concept to China's supply chain. ...shiver. The rest of the
world's manufacturing doesn't stand a chance.

In their turn, at the start of the industrial revolution when Britain
was king of the hill, German goods were considered to be cheap junk
handcrafted in a cow barn.

Perhaps the next stop will be Africa for cheap junk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/08/2015 07:06 AM, Frank wrote:
My thought:
Crappy batteries or crappy device?
Will shorted out device contribute to battery leakage?

That's always possible. Several years ago I bought some LED flashlights
at CostCo. 3 for $20. They were well made and had a feature where the
end cap button would illuminate when the batteries got low.
Unfortunately, that feature placed a parasitic load on the batteries
ensuring they would drain down in a month or two.

The design was corrected in the next batch. No indicator light and the
batteries last as expected.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2015 9:06 AM, Frank wrote:
My thought:
Crappy batteries or crappy device?
Will shorted out device contribute to battery leakage?

One was a closet light with a mechanical
switch, left turned off. Not much chance
of long term drain.

Other was a FRS handi talkie, with push
button off switch. "might" had a drain.

I think shorted or left on will contribute.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2015 11:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/8/2015 9:06 AM, Frank wrote:
My thought:
Crappy batteries or crappy device?
Will shorted out device contribute to battery leakage?

One was a closet light with a mechanical
switch, left turned off. Not much chance
of long term drain.

Other was a FRS handi talkie, with push
button off switch. "might" had a drain.

I think shorted or left on will contribute.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Rarely see leaky batteries but last time I saw one was when kid was
playing with an LED flashlight and left turn on switch ajar.

Closet light with batteries, knowing you, probably El-cheapo bought at HF.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2015 1:47 PM, Frank wrote:

knowing you, probably El-cheapo bought at HF.

Knowing you, say some thing unkind while ignoring
the actual contents of the post. And while displaying
gross ignorance.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin writes:

This week, discovered leaky AA cells in my
closet light, and leaky AAA cells in a FRS
walkie talkie. AA in date, and AAA about
three months past expiry. I'm disapointed.

Call up the battery company. I had a similar
problem with Duracell brand. They asked me
a few questions on the phone, then sent
me a prepaid debit card for pretty close
to the full value.

Given Stormin's usual practices they were made by the Chung King Battery Company in Xiangxi.

Maybe try some Thunderbolt Magnums?

http://www.harborfreight.com/24-pack...ies-92404.html

$6.99 for a 24 pack
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2015 3:19 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/8/2015 1:47 PM, Frank wrote:

knowing you, probably El-cheapo bought at HF.

Knowing you, say some thing unkind while ignoring
the actual contents of the post. And while displaying
gross ignorance.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Not trying to be unkind.
Lighten up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin writes:

This week, discovered leaky AA cells in my
closet light, and leaky AAA cells in a FRS
walkie talkie. AA in date, and AAA about
three months past expiry. I'm disapointed.
Call up the battery company. I had a similar
problem with Duracell brand. They asked me
a few questions on the phone, then sent
me a prepaid debit card for pretty close
to the full value.

Given Stormin's usual practices they were made by the Chung King Battery Company in Xiangxi.

Maybe try some Thunderbolt Magnums?

http://www.harborfreight.com/24-pack...ies-92404.html

$6.99 for a 24 pack

Well SP, I've used some Harbor Freight alkaline batteries and they've been OK but all the rechargeable batteries I purchased from Harbor Freight have leaked. Go figure. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Disappointed Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-05-08, Senator Pocketstuffer wrote:
Maybe try some Thunderbolt Magnums?

I buy genuine Toceba and Dinacell batteries at the local flea market.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2015 1:47 PM, Frank wrote:

knowing you, probably El-cheapo bought at HF.

Knowing you, say some thing unkind while ignoring
the actual contents of the post. And while displaying
gross ignorance.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Not trying to be unkind.
Lighten up.

If you'd acted like you read my post, my
reply would have been different.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2015 8:26 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, May 8, 2015 at 2:59:24 PM UTC-5, Senator Pocketstuffer wrote:
Maybe try some Thunderbolt Magnums?
http://www.harborfreight.com/24-pack...ies-92404.html
$6.99 for a 24 pack

Well SP, I've used some Harbor Freight alkaline batteries and they've been OK but all the rechargeable batteries I purchased from Harbor Freight have leaked. Go figure. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Disappointed Monster

I've bought some HF cells. Some work fine, they
have about the same leak rate as other brands.

Tried a couple D NiMH but they didn't hold enough
charge to be useful.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
This week, discovered leaky AA cells in my
closet light, and leaky AAA cells in a FRS
walkie talkie. AA in date, and AAA about
three months past expiry. I'm disapointed.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Same happens with Duracell too. Just found out
Duracell I put in on wall clock leaked and died
in couple months not even past expiry date.

Got some no name AA Lithium cells from eBay.
This thing is worse than Alkaline ones. Doesn't
even last a year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In Stormin Mormon writes:

Tried a couple D NiMH but they didn't hold enough
charge to be useful.

a: are you getting "real D" cells? Dating back to the
old ni-cad days it was common to find "D" cells that
were really "C", or even "A", with lots of cardboard
and air to make up the difference

b: and if you are using a "D", do you have a charger
that's pumping in enough power?

.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2015 1:47 PM, Frank wrote:

knowing you, probably El-cheapo bought at HF.

Knowing you, say some thing unkind while ignoring
the actual contents of the post. And while displaying
gross ignorance.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Not trying to be unkind.
Lighten up.

If you'd acted like you read my post, my
reply would have been different.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

I read it carefully.

Said you were getting old and leaky.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/15 10:13 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Tried a couple D NiMH but they didn't hold enough
charge to be useful.

I've read that AA is the "natural" size for NiMH. Tenergy has 10,000 mah
D cells. I'd need a D cell NiMH charger.

Eneloop doesn't seem to make D cells. They sell Eneloop D cell spacers
to use with AA cells. It sounds as if they see technical drawbacks to
NiMH D cells.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 2:49:32 PM UTC-5, J Burns wrote:
On 5/9/15 10:13 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Tried a couple D NiMH but they didn't hold enough
charge to be useful.

I've read that AA is the "natural" size for NiMH. Tenergy has 10,000 mah
D cells. I'd need a D cell NiMH charger.

Eneloop doesn't seem to make D cells. They sell Eneloop D cell spacers
to use with AA cells. It sounds as if they see technical drawbacks to
NiMH D cells.

A "D size" cell isn't that common in consumer electronics anymore except for flashlights/torches and I can imagine that the current capacity of a D size NiMH would be high enough to make it a real fire hazard if shorted out. I really wonder if some manufacturers see it as a liability. You can purchase NiMH D cells from Amazon and the things are rated at a massive 10,000 mah. The 12 vdc SLA rechargeable battery in a small UPS or alarm system is only rated at around 7,000 mah. Dang! Those NiMH batteries have a lot of power.

http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Premiu...ds=nimh+d+cell

http://preview.tinyurl.com/lewee87

[8~{} Uncle D Size Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2015 11:02 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Same happens with Duracell too. Just found out
Duracell I put in on wall clock leaked and died
in couple months not even past expiry date.

Got some no name AA Lithium cells from eBay.
This thing is worse than Alkaline ones. Doesn't
even last a year.

Sad to hear. I guess the quality of alkaline
cells isn't what it used to be?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2015 11:14 AM, danny burstein wrote:
In Stormin Mormon writes:

Tried a couple D NiMH but they didn't hold enough
charge to be useful.

a: are you getting "real D" cells? Dating back to the
old ni-cad days it was common to find "D" cells that
were really "C", or even "A", with lots of cardboard
and air to make up the difference

b: and if you are using a "D", do you have a charger
that's pumping in enough power?

I think they were low amp hour rating, so most
likely they were hot dog rolled AA cells.

And, no, probably not enough power for charge.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2015 12:47 PM, Frank wrote:
On 5/9/2015 10:12 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
If you'd acted like you read my post, my
reply would have been different.

I read it carefully.

Said you were getting old and leaky.

Very good, sir. Now we're on the same
page.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2015 3:49 PM, J Burns wrote:
I've read that AA is the "natural" size for NiMH. Tenergy has 10,000 mah
D cells. I'd need a D cell NiMH charger.

Eneloop doesn't seem to make D cells. They sell Eneloop D cell spacers
to use with AA cells. It sounds as if they see technical drawbacks to
NiMH D cells.

I've seen 9 and 10 amp hour rated D cells.
My daily use cells are AA. With D cells,
alkalines last two years or more of
occasional use (Mag light in truck).

One friend of mine in South Carolina uses
NiMH D because they are less likely to leak
in the hot car trunk. Makes sense.

Me being in PRNY, not as much an issue.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2015 4:48 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

A "D size" cell isn't that common in consumer

electronics anymore except for flashlights/torches
and I can imagine that the current capacity of a
D size NiMH would be high enough to make it a real
fire hazard if shorted out. I really wonder if
some manufacturers see it as a liability. You can
purchase NiMH D cells from Amazon and the things
are rated at a massive 10,000 mah. The 12 vdc SLA
rechargeable battery in a small UPS or alarm
system is only rated at around 7,000 mah. Dang!
Those NiMH batteries have a lot of power.

http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Premiu...ds=nimh+d+cell

http://preview.tinyurl.com/lewee87

[8~{} Uncle D Size Monster

One time when I was in a repair shop, I noted a
power failure light (like in stores or theatres)
apart in the shop work bench. They had what
looked like a NiCd sub C pack, no longer using
sealed lead acid. Hope they tested those nicads
now and again. You know nicads and reliable.

With the charging equipment I own, I'd need a
set on charge, and set in use. I don't have
the amperage availble for over night charge.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 7:04:15 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Did the batteries in the emergency lights look like these? o_O

http://preview.tinyurl.com/p9a96wj

http://preview.tinyurl.com/p8fsmnl

http://www.batteryprice.com/gateshaw...batteries.aspx

[8~{} Uncle Battery Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

One time when I was in a repair shop, I noted a
power failure light (like in stores or theatres)
apart in the shop work bench. They had what
looked like a NiCd sub C pack, no longer using
sealed lead acid. Hope they tested those nicads
now and again. You know nicads and reliable.

Where I worked we had many (atleast 50 or more) lights that had the NiCd
cells in many types. They were tested about every 3 months to see if they
would work at all. Then every year or so they were given about a 5 minuit
test. We replaced many of the battery packs each time we did a test.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Uncle Monster" wrote in message
http://preview.tinyurl.com/p9a96wj

http://preview.tinyurl.com/p8fsmnl

http://www.batteryprice.com/gateshaw...batteries.aspx

We had some that looked like many of those. Especially if you scroll down
the first one and look at all the differant kinds. Some NiCads and some of
the L/A and hard telling what else. Even had some old L/A with water in
them that could be added to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 8:37:59 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Uncle Monster" wrote in message
http://preview.tinyurl.com/p9a96wj

http://preview.tinyurl.com/p8fsmnl

http://www.batteryprice.com/gateshaw...batteries.aspx

We had some that looked like many of those. Especially if you scroll down
the first one and look at all the differant kinds. Some NiCads and some of
the L/A and hard telling what else. Even had some old L/A with water in
them that could be added to.

I had used the Gates spiral wound cell cylindrical SLA batteries in alarm systems years ago. There are also some high quality automotive batteries with spiral wound cells. I want an Optima battery for my vehicle. 8-)

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us

[8~{} Uncle Spiral Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2015 9:24 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 7:04:15 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

One time when I was in a repair shop, I noted a
power failure light (like in stores or theatres)
apart in the shop work bench. They had what
looked like a NiCd sub C pack, no longer using
sealed lead acid. Hope they tested those nicads
now and again. You know nicads and reliable.

With the charging equipment I own, I'd need a
set on charge, and set in use. I don't have
the amperage availble for over night charge.

Did the batteries in the emergency lights look like these? o_O

http://preview.tinyurl.com/p9a96wj

http://preview.tinyurl.com/p8fsmnl

http://www.batteryprice.com/gateshaw...batteries.aspx

[8~{} Uncle Battery Monster

All I remember was more than one cell, and the shrink
wrap. This was several years ago.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 5:46:08 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/9/2015 9:24 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 7:04:15 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

One time when I was in a repair shop, I noted a
power failure light (like in stores or theatres)
apart in the shop work bench. They had what
looked like a NiCd sub C pack, no longer using
sealed lead acid. Hope they tested those nicads
now and again. You know nicads and reliable.

With the charging equipment I own, I'd need a
set on charge, and set in use. I don't have
the amperage availble for over night charge.

Did the batteries in the emergency lights look like these? o_O

http://preview.tinyurl.com/p9a96wj

http://preview.tinyurl.com/p8fsmnl

http://www.batteryprice.com/gateshaw...batteries.aspx

[8~{} Uncle Battery Monster

All I remember was more than one cell, and the shrink
wrap. This was several years ago.

-

That's the Gates cylindrical cells in shrinkwrap which are the first ones I ever saw. Usually 6vdc for emergency lights. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Cell Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/2015 7:58 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 5:46:08 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Did the batteries in the emergency lights look like these? o_O

http://preview.tinyurl.com/p9a96wj

http://preview.tinyurl.com/p8fsmnl

http://www.batteryprice.com/gateshaw...batteries.aspx

[8~{} Uncle Battery Monster

All I remember was more than one cell, and the shrink
wrap. This was several years ago.

-

That's the Gates cylindrical cells in shrinkwrap

which are the first ones I ever saw. Usually 6vdc
for emergency lights. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Cell Monster

What's the advantage to SLA in shrink wrap?
Looked a lot like sub C nicads. Why would
SLA cells be better?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 7:37:24 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/10/2015 7:58 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 5:46:08 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Did the batteries in the emergency lights look like these? o_O

http://preview.tinyurl.com/p9a96wj

http://preview.tinyurl.com/p8fsmnl

http://www.batteryprice.com/gateshaw...batteries.aspx

[8~{} Uncle Battery Monster

All I remember was more than one cell, and the shrink
wrap. This was several years ago.

-

That's the Gates cylindrical cells in shrinkwrap

which are the first ones I ever saw. Usually 6vdc
for emergency lights. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Cell Monster

What's the advantage to SLA in shrink wrap?
Looked a lot like sub C nicads. Why would
SLA cells be better?

Gell Cells

VRLA = Valve Regulated Lead Acid

SLA = Sealed Lead Acid

AGM = Absorbed Glass Mat

The cylindrical batteries are a type of SLA battery with spiral wound plates. They were manufactured by Gates and now Enersys. The cylindrical cells are often wired in series and put in shrinkwrap to make battery packs. 8-)

http://www.gsbattery.com/content/ps-agmsla

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRLA_battery

http://www.batteriesplus.com/t-werke...batteries.aspx

[8~{} Uncle Volt Monster