Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window Blinds - Levelor vs Bali

Okay, I'm upset. Ordered 2 faux wood 2" slat blinds (old fashioned
kind) for living room windows. Spent a whole day plus installing
brackets exactly as instructions advise. Measured very carefully.
Blinds are custom size and I was so excited to get them! Hubby helped
me put them into the brackets and ..... oh ****....the brackets are too
far apart. Haul them out to the dining room, go pout for a minute.
Inspired: measure the blinds again: 1/2" too short. Get on live chat
with the seller; no problem, we will send correct size. Newspaper on LR
windows, wait a week. Got two more blinds, and they don't need to have
the first ones returned. Unpack one set, take out of box...oh ****...big
dent on back side of header and these are tapeless. Well, tapeless
might actually look better and I WANT SOMETHING ON MY WINDOWS BESIDES
NEWSPAPER! Put them into brackets, ready to try them out ....oh
****.....I can't lower them. Tug on cords and the plastic drywall
anchors are not fast. Can't lower them. Take the blind down, put back
in box, remove all brackets and store with first set of blinds. Dash
off an email on sellers website. That was Saturday. No response yet.
I'm ready to load them up and march on the store, which my husbands has
gently but firmly declined to participate in.

After checking the innards to see if I could lower the blinds, I
realized how cheaply the Levelor blinds are...don't think the mechanics
are sturdy enough for any but a very narrow blind, and these are 59"
wide. I'm wondering if anyone has tried Levelor AND Bali and can tell
whether there is a difference in strength and quality? I checked
Consumer Reports, but couldn't find any info there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/3/2015 9:15 PM, Norminn wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone has tried Levelor AND Bali and can tell
whether there is a difference in strength and quality?

Never got past the high price. Blinds in the bedrooms came from Target.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/3/2015 8:15 PM, Norminn wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone has tried Levelor AND Bali and
can tell whether there is a difference in strength and quality? I
checked Consumer Reports, but couldn't find any info there.

After visiting a friend who'd installed genuine wood blinds by Bali in
her living room, and being very impressed by their beauty, I ordered
some for my bedroom. These are Bali's one-inch real, not faux, wood
blinds, and they are absolutely top notch. The blinds come with a
matching wood valance that slides over the top mount. A nice
additional touch.

Expensive, but worth it. I've had them for six years now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

We bought 2" Premium Faux Wood blinds from JustBlinds.com about 10 years
ago and have been very happy with them. They don't look like plastic,
and don't warp like real wood can.

http://www.justblinds.com/products/99628

The only issue we've had in 10 years is the lift cords eventually wear
through and break. When I've contacted JustBlinds about it they sent me
new replacement cord at no cost (they did offer that I could send them
back for warranty repair, but we didn't want to be without blinds). I've
replaced the cords on several of our blinds. I take them down so I can
thread the new cord through the blinds. Not difficult, just detailed and
time consuming.

Ours mount inside the window frame, so careful measurements before
ordering are critical.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Mar 2015 06:53:04 -0600, Moe DeLoughan
wrote:

On 3/3/2015 8:15 PM, Norminn wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone has tried Levelor AND Bali and
can tell whether there is a difference in strength and quality? I
checked Consumer Reports, but couldn't find any info there.

After visiting a friend who'd installed genuine wood blinds by Bali in
her living room, and being very impressed by their beauty, I ordered
some for my bedroom. These are Bali's one-inch real, not faux, wood
blinds, and they are absolutely top notch. The blinds come with a
matching wood valance that slides over the top mount. A nice
additional touch.

Expensive, but worth it. I've had them for six years now.

Second this. We don't have wood blinds, but have both aluminum mini's
and cellular shades from Bali and they are top notch. On both types
we went with the cord-free system and I highly recommend it. No
unsightly cords hanging down and getting tangled in stuff.

We've had some for years and they look and operate like new (although
I admit we don't fuss with them much).

We mostly by from Steve's blinds and wallpaper and have been very
happy with their service and fast delivery. But get the measurements
right and if you have any doubt about the color, order a sample first
because they are not returnable unless faulty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/4/2015 10:44 AM, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

The saga continues........the second set of blinds were the wrong kind;
I ordered blinds WITH TAPES and these are the right size but without
tapes and are damaged. I must say, Levelor TRIES hard. Got on live
chat, commisserated with the nice person who handled my first problem
and now they are sending a THIRD SET. Gee whillikers!

Now, the important issue is how to anchor the blinds. Instructions are
very specific in advising #12 plastic anchors (gypped by Lowes 'cause
you have to buy package with anchors and screws. They even sell a
"deluxe" set that includes a drill bit!). When I tried out one blind,
the anchors were slipping out! I had a heck of a time drilling holes
initially....above the trim at top of window....dull bit? Hitting nail
heads? Frustrating! My plan now is to get a board same length as the
blind, same thickness as trim and as wide as the brackets, anchor that
to the studs and mount the brackets on that board....there will be no
doubt that the brackets will be secure on the board and should not need
very long screws. I fiddled with my stud finder and the studs are easy
to locate. Pray for me )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 8:34:14 AM UTC-5, NorMinn wrote:
"deluxe" set that includes a drill bit!). When I tried out one blind,
the anchors were slipping out! I had a heck of a time drilling holes
initially....above the trim at top of window....dull bit? Hitting nail
heads? Frustrating! My plan now is to get a board same length as the

Before you do that, make one final check of your drill.

Previously handled by a "friend?" Check
Has a reversible feature? Check
Somebody put it in reverse? Ouch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2015 10:29 AM, TimR wrote:
On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 8:34:14 AM UTC-5, NorMinn wrote:
"deluxe" set that includes a drill bit!). When I tried out one blind,
the anchors were slipping out! I had a heck of a time drilling holes
initially....above the trim at top of window....dull bit? Hitting nail
heads? Frustrating! My plan now is to get a board same length as the

Before you do that, make one final check of your drill.

Previously handled by a "friend?" Check
Has a reversible feature? Check
Somebody put it in reverse? Ouch.

I don't loan my tools. Reversible feature works; started out the wrong
way. New bit is on my shopping list )

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now, the important issue is how to anchor the blinds. Instructions are
very specific in advising #12 plastic anchors (gypped by Lowes 'cause
you have to buy package with anchors and screws. They even sell a
"deluxe" set that includes a drill bit!). When I tried out one blind,
the anchors were slipping out! I had a heck of a time drilling holes
initially....above the trim at top of window....dull bit? Hitting nail
heads? Frustrating! My plan now is to get a board same length as the
blind, same thickness as trim and as wide as the brackets, anchor that
to the studs and mount the brackets on that board....there will be no
doubt that the brackets will be secure on the board and should not need
very long screws. I fiddled with my stud finder and the studs are easy
to locate. Pray for me )

There's usually a full width header above a window. You can verify this
with your stud finder, or by simply tapping your knuckle across the wall
and listening for the differences in sound.

If you have a solid header, you can eliminate the plastic anchors and run
longer screws directly into the header.

If you don't have a header above the window for some reason, I would
probably use toggle bolts instead of screws and plastic anchors. You'll be
putting a lot of force on the mounting screws every time you open and close
the blinds. I wouldn't trust those plastic anchors. I've never had good
luck with them.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 10:51:31 -0500, Norminn
wrote:

Before you do that, make one final check of your drill.

Previously handled by a "friend?" Check
Has a reversible feature? Check
Somebody put it in reverse? Ouch.

I don't loan my tools. Reversible feature works; started out the wrong
way. New bit is on my shopping list )

Reverse it? A couple of photos would be nice.

IDK where you were drilling, but be cautious of electric wires and
nail plates.

I know you already know that - just mention' :-\|
--
"Sir, We’re Surrounded. Good, we can attack in any direction" -- Lieutenant General Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 08:34:12 -0500, Norminn
wrote:

I fiddled with my stud finder and the studs are easy
to locate. Pray for me )

LMAO
--
"Sir, We’re Surrounded. Good, we can attack in any direction" -- Lieutenant General Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Before you do that, make one final check of your drill.

Previously handled by a "friend?" Check
Has a reversible feature? Check
Somebody put it in reverse? Ouch.

I don't loan my tools. Reversible feature works; started out the wrong
way. New bit is on my shopping list )

Reverse it? A couple of photos would be nice.

Just a regular battery-powered drill.

IDK where you were drilling, but be cautious of electric wires and
nail plates.

I am sure there are no wires above LR windows. What are nail plates?
FWIW, this is manufactured home, about 40 y/o, in good shape. Doesn't
look like mfg. home.

I know you already know that - just mention' :-\|

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I fiddled with my stud finder and the studs are easy
to locate. Pray for me )

LMAO

It quit being funny when the second set of blinds were damaged and wrong
style ;o) But, then, when the third batch comes in, I will have enough
blinds for all the windows in the house 'cept kitchen and baths.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I fiddled with my stud finder and the studs are easy
to locate. Pray for me )

LMAO

It quit being funny when the second set of blinds were damaged and wrong
style ;o) But, then, when the third batch comes in, I will have enough
blinds for all the windows in the house 'cept kitchen and baths.

Sometimes you get the bear. Sometimes the bear gets you.

.... will have enough blinds for all the windows in the house

Any plans on the old ones?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 18:44:48 -0500, Norminn
wrote:

I am sure there are no wires above LR windows. What are nail plates?

Nail plate:

http://www.icreatables.com/images/electricalimgs/wiring/wire-pull-corner-nail-plates.jpg

Behind the finished wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I fiddled with my stud finder and the studs are easy
to locate. Pray for me )

LMAO

It quit being funny when the second set of blinds were damaged and wrong
style ;o) But, then, when the third batch comes in, I will have enough
blinds for all the windows in the house 'cept kitchen and baths.

Sometimes you get the bear. Sometimes the bear gets you.

... will have enough blinds for all the windows in the house

Any plans on the old ones?

Mini blinds? I hate them. I will probably hate the new ones when it is
time to dust, unless my husband "volunteers" ;o)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am sure there are no wires above LR windows. What are nail plates?

Nail plate:

http://www.icreatables.com/images/electricalimgs/wiring/wire-pull-corner-nail-plates.jpg

Behind the finished wall.

Thanks! I had never heard of nail plates. Are they there just to
protect wiring/plumbing? Standard?

We have outdoor lights under the eaves, but I would expect wiring for
those to be in the attic, not the ext. wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am sure there are no wires above LR windows. What are nail plates?

Nail plate:

http://www.icreatables.com/images/electricalimgs/wiring/wire-pull-corner-nail-plates.jpg

Behind the finished wall.

Thanks! I had never heard of nail plates. Are they there just to
protect wiring/plumbing? Standard?

Yes it protects pipes and wiring from nails and screws. They have
been around for decades. I presume they are in building code?

I once saw a drywall screw that went into a copper pipe behind a
toilet. It took a long time and the screw rusted so water leak was
very slow over that time.

We have outdoor lights under the eaves, but I would expect wiring for
those to be in the attic, not the ext. wall.

Likely so... never know

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window Blinds - Levelor vs Bali......OHO!!

On 3/6/2015 10:29 AM, TimR wrote:
On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 8:34:14 AM UTC-5, NorMinn wrote:
"deluxe" set that includes a drill bit!). When I tried out one blind,
the anchors were slipping out! I had a heck of a time drilling holes
initially....above the trim at top of window....dull bit? Hitting nail
heads? Frustrating! My plan now is to get a board same length as the

Before you do that, make one final check of your drill.

Previously handled by a "friend?" Check
Has a reversible feature? Check
Somebody put it in reverse? Ouch.

Well, the first holes I drilled were with 1/4" bit, per instructions, to
place plastic anchors. I discovered right away that the drill was in
reverse mode. Carry on, drill and push really hard, and I can't get
some holes deep enough. After discovering the first set of blinds were
made too short, and waiting for the second set, I changed methods.
Forget plastic anchors; have never liked them. Take on a drill bit of
the proper size for the screw....OH!....and set the drill on "high"
speed! What a difference one little button makes ) Crank in a bunch
of screws with a manual driver, which takes all my muscle, the brackets
are fast and a set of blinds is up, intact. Hubby suggests using the
drill to drive the screws...set it to slow again. take out the battery,
for safety's sake while changing bits, a rustle up nerve to power the
screws in for the second blind! Wow! Those power tools are nice!
Second set of blinds is up. Room looks lighter and larger 'cause the
blinds cover the '70-ish oak trim. I am happy again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Norminn, Cleo wrote:
LOVE your post, Norminn! Absolutely hilarious to read. Not so fun for you,
though. Not what you wanted to be doing at 2:15 am, Im guessing. Based on
your review of Levelor and others reviews of Bali below, Im defintely
going to go with Bali. Thanks for the review. Hope you and your husband are
doing well and still married after this fiasco!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...li-824978-.htm

Bowed window - blinds? John UK diy 7 December 9th 08 10:54 AM
RECALL: Window Blinds Sold Exclusively at Lowe's Stores Recalled for Repair by Springs Window Fashions Due to Strangulation Hazard Greg Home Repair 0 August 3rd 07 11:21 PM
RECALL: Window Blinds Sold Exclusively at Lowe's Stores Recalled for Repair by Springs Window Fashions Due to Strangulation Hazard Greg Home Ownership 0 August 3rd 07 11:21 PM
Bali Vertical Blinds vs. Graber Vertical Blinds (Vynil) - which one is better? [email protected] Home Ownership 0 May 30th 06 08:20 PM
Choosing vertical blinds - Bali vs Graber vs Levolor [email protected] Home Ownership 2 April 24th 06 04:24 PM