Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bowed window - blinds?

We've just had an old bay window (or perhaps bowed would be more accurate)
removed and replaced and have now hit a quandry. We had net curtains up at
the old window but neither of us want nets again - too old-fashioned. The
beauty of them though was that the springy wire that they hung on was easily
shaped into the profile of the bow.

Photo of window he http://www.thehewitts.eu/window1.jpg

SWMBO really wants vertical blinds but I can't imagine that we'd get one to
follow the bow. I can only see that it would mean one for each pane (which
would look crap IMHO) or one to cover two panes (which wouldn't look quite
so crap but still not brilliant). Any other ideas out there folks 'cos I'm
useless at this sort of thing (

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 19:11:39 -0000, "John" invalid@invalid wrote:

We've just had an old bay window (or perhaps bowed would be more accurate)
removed and replaced and have now hit a quandry. We had net curtains up at
the old window but neither of us want nets again - too old-fashioned. The
beauty of them though was that the springy wire that they hung on was easily
shaped into the profile of the bow.

Photo of window he http://www.thehewitts.eu/window1.jpg

SWMBO really wants vertical blinds but I can't imagine that we'd get one to
follow the bow. I can only see that it would mean one for each pane (which
would look crap IMHO) or one to cover two panes (which wouldn't look quite
so crap but still not brilliant). Any other ideas out there folks 'cos I'm
useless at this sort of thing (

Hilary's Blinds do curved headers for their vertical blinds.
No doubt many others do too.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Dec, 19:11, "John" invalid@invalid wrote:
We've just had an old bay window (or perhaps bowed would be more accurate)
removed and replaced and have now hit a quandry. We had net curtains up at
the old window but neither of us want nets again - too old-fashioned. The
beauty of them though was that the springy wire that they hung on was easily
shaped into the profile of the bow.

Photo of window hehttp://www.thehewitts.eu/window1.jpg

SWMBO really wants vertical blinds but I can't imagine that we'd get one to
follow the bow. I can only see that it would mean one for each pane (which
would look crap IMHO) or one to cover two panes (which wouldn't look quite
so crap but still not brilliant). Any other ideas out there folks 'cos I'm
useless at this sort of thing *(

TIA

You can. The curved rails are a lot more expensive than straight ones.
Also, you can save a packet by having the curved rail and blind
louvres made separately. (cut out the middle man !) You need to find
out the suppliers of curved rails, and the blind "makers" will not
want to tell you this ! You may need to pose as a blind manufacturer.
I said I was thinking of going into the market and was making a
prototype. I think I got my curved rail from http://www.maccblinds.co.uk
(Macclesfield blinds, 86 park street, congleton, cheshire CW12 1EG.)
You may need to phone them about trade sales. They seem to have
metamorphosised into http://www.blindshapers.com on the web, but they
may still just supply the rails. They had a special machine that could
bend straight rails I think.
Of course you measure up, and if it's wrong, tough !
By the way, I am not associated with them in any way, this is NOT
spam !!
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Dec, 11:38, sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

Also, I bought the hardware (weights, hangers, chains) off ebay. You
can only buy these from the manufactures in thousands. Not many will
split the orders - its one way of keeping the assembly of binds as
"trade", ie. not cust effective for DIY !
Luckily for ebay someone is making money splitting the orders.
I saved over 100 quid (really !) by doing this.

See also PVCu windows, order frame and glass separately, but thats
another story !

Good luck, Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your replies chaps, I had no idea you could get curved rails )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Dec, 12:51, "John" invalid@invalid wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

In my old street just about every house had it. I think some salesman
went around the street, saying "look at the Jones's" !
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

)

In my old street just about every house had it. I think some salesman
went around the street, saying "look at the Jones's" !
Simon.

How do they work then? My straight one has a rotating shaft which opens and
closes the slats.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

The rotating shaft is made of nylon and bends !
Simple really !
Simon.