Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Window Blinds - Levelor vs Bali

Now, the important issue is how to anchor the blinds. Instructions are
very specific in advising #12 plastic anchors (gypped by Lowes 'cause
you have to buy package with anchors and screws. They even sell a
"deluxe" set that includes a drill bit!). When I tried out one blind,
the anchors were slipping out! I had a heck of a time drilling holes
initially....above the trim at top of window....dull bit? Hitting nail
heads? Frustrating! My plan now is to get a board same length as the
blind, same thickness as trim and as wide as the brackets, anchor that
to the studs and mount the brackets on that board....there will be no
doubt that the brackets will be secure on the board and should not need
very long screws. I fiddled with my stud finder and the studs are easy
to locate. Pray for me )

There's usually a full width header above a window. You can verify this
with your stud finder, or by simply tapping your knuckle across the wall
and listening for the differences in sound.

If you have a solid header, you can eliminate the plastic anchors and run
longer screws directly into the header.

If you don't have a header above the window for some reason, I would
probably use toggle bolts instead of screws and plastic anchors. You'll be
putting a lot of force on the mounting screws every time you open and close
the blinds. I wouldn't trust those plastic anchors. I've never had good
luck with them.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com