Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Window Blinds - Levelor vs Bali

On 3/4/2015 10:44 AM, HerHusband wrote:
Okay, I'm upset. Ordered 2 faux wood 2" slat blinds (old fashioned
kind) for living room windows. Spent a whole day plus installing
brackets exactly as instructions advise. Measured very carefully.
Blinds are custom size and I was so excited to get them! Hubby helped
me put them into the brackets and ..... oh ****....the brackets are
too far apart. Haul them out to the dining room, go pout for a
minute. Inspired: measure the blinds again: 1/2" too short. Get on
live chat with the seller; no problem, we will send correct size.
Newspaper on LR windows, wait a week. Got two more blinds, and they
don't need to have the first ones returned. Unpack one set, take out
of box...oh ****...big dent on back side of header and these are
tapeless. Well, tapeless might actually look better and I WANT
SOMETHING ON MY WINDOWS BESIDES NEWSPAPER! Put them into brackets,
ready to try them out ....oh ****.....I can't lower them. Tug on
cords and the plastic drywall anchors are not fast. Can't lower them.
Take the blind down, put back in box, remove all brackets and store
with first set of blinds. Dash off an email on sellers website. That
was Saturday. No response yet. I'm ready to load them up and march on
the store, which my husbands has gently but firmly declined to
participate in. After checking the innards to see if I could lower the
blinds, I realized how cheaply the Levelor blinds are...don't think
the mechanics are sturdy enough for any but a very narrow blind, and
these are 59" wide. I'm wondering if anyone has tried Levelor AND
Bali and can tell whether there is a difference in strength and
quality? I checked Consumer Reports, but couldn't find any info
there.

We bought 2" Premium Faux Wood blinds from JustBlinds.com about 10 years
ago and have been very happy with them. They don't look like plastic,
and don't warp like real wood can.

http://www.justblinds.com/products/99628

The only issue we've had in 10 years is the lift cords eventually wear
through and break. When I've contacted JustBlinds about it they sent me
new replacement cord at no cost (they did offer that I could send them
back for warranty repair, but we didn't want to be without blinds). I've
replaced the cords on several of our blinds. I take them down so I can
thread the new cord through the blinds. Not difficult, just detailed and
time consuming.

Ours mount inside the window frame, so careful measurements before
ordering are critical.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

The saga continues........the second set of blinds were the wrong kind;
I ordered blinds WITH TAPES and these are the right size but without
tapes and are damaged. I must say, Levelor TRIES hard. Got on live
chat, commisserated with the nice person who handled my first problem
and now they are sending a THIRD SET. Gee whillikers!

Now, the important issue is how to anchor the blinds. Instructions are
very specific in advising #12 plastic anchors (gypped by Lowes 'cause
you have to buy package with anchors and screws. They even sell a
"deluxe" set that includes a drill bit!). When I tried out one blind,
the anchors were slipping out! I had a heck of a time drilling holes
initially....above the trim at top of window....dull bit? Hitting nail
heads? Frustrating! My plan now is to get a board same length as the
blind, same thickness as trim and as wide as the brackets, anchor that
to the studs and mount the brackets on that board....there will be no
doubt that the brackets will be secure on the board and should not need
very long screws. I fiddled with my stud finder and the studs are easy
to locate. Pray for me )