Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Another Garage Door Opener Problem

I have a Genie Silentmax 1000 Model 3042 Garage door opener. I bought it 3-21-2012 at Home Depot so it is mostly out of warranty by now. Back in Nov.. I started having problems. I would press the opener and the door would go up about two feet - or a little less - and stop. I couldn't get it to work. My neighbor unplugged it in the ceiling and when he plugged it up again, it started working. I called the company that installed it and a man came out and checked it. He could find nothing wrong. I still paid for his service call. Less than 30 days later the samee thing happened. A different man checked it. He found nothing. He suggested I get a surge protector. We had been having some power outages here. I did not have to pay a service charge because it was less than 30 days ... A few weeks later the same thing. I climbed up on the ladder and unplugged the door opener from my new surge protector. When I plugged it back in the plastic "socket" chipped off ... it worked but I wasn't happy with it so I got a new electric socket installed there - thinking that might be the problem. But about two weeks later it happened again. Today is the third time...since the new socket was installed. My son said some of these Genie's had been recalled but I can't find ours listed.. its Sunday. I am waiting for my neighbor to come home from work and "listen" to the noise it's making. Haven't a clue about what the problem is. I really like it when it's working right ... it is very quiet. Just wondered if anybody else had this particular model and if they had similar problems. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 2:23:03 PM UTC-6, Dottie wrote:
[...]

At any point did any repairman disconnect it from the door to see if it might be hanging-up or overloading the motor?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Feb 2015 12:22:57 -0800 (PST), Dottie
wrote:

[...]

Don't have that model. Does the opener have the antenna wire "hanging
down ward". Mine once had the wire coiled-up, sitting on top so I
uncoiled it to make it hang down - the signal improved how it
operated.

Can you describe what "noise" you here? (possibly a broken nylon gear
slipping?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren is desribing a problem with the receiver getting a signal from the remote. The door opener is opening, so it is getting the signal, it just stops part way up according to Dottie.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 3:23:03 PM UTC-5, Dottie wrote:
[...]

Two questions -- 1. As far as I know it was not disconnected from the door to see if it was hanging up or overloading the motor.

2. He is right - the door stops half way up. It appears to be getting the signal. Now ...

My neighbor came over when he got home from work - I had asked him to ... so he could listen and see if he could hear anything unusual. I had left the door up so when he got here, I pushed the button to close the door. Guess what? It worked like it was supposed to ... twice. As if there had never been a problem. I am going to wait and see if I can find out if anyone else has this problem. Don't want to pay for a service call because it's too hard to find out what is wrong. Thanks - and if you hear about the same problem please post it on this board.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
[...]

Hi,
That one must be belt drive with same opener as my Power Max 1500(screw
drive). You have to unplug - plug the power cord whenever you have power
outage to reset the brain. Owner's manual has trouble-shooting section
which may give you some clue. Genie support people are very friendly and
always helpful. My model is warrantied for life time. My older Blue Max
(AC motor screw drive) lasted 20 years. This one uses DC motor which is
lighter and faster.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
Intermittent, undefined problem! Solution is not easy to find on those
kinda problems but sooner or later we'll nail it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Dottie wrote:
[...]

One thing to check is whether sun ray is interfering with Safe-T beam
receiver at certain time of day or season. Picking a receiver position
against possible sun ray interference is bad idea. In that case receiver
and transmitter should be switched around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Feb 2015 15:57:38 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Intermittent, undefined problem!

+1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Feb 2015 17:22:47 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

One thing to check is whether sun ray is interfering with Safe-T beam
receiver at certain time of day or season. Picking a receiver position
against possible sun ray interference is bad idea. In that case receiver
and transmitter should be switched around.

I suspected the same thing. Afternoon sun from the West when the GD
was open. (hot desert heat)

Could even be a sensor is bad and needs replacement. BTDT

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I rarely leave the door open and each time this happened it had been closed overnight ...

I left it open yesterday after it stopped working and we had opened it manually. When I pushed the button to demonstrate it to my neighbor it worked the way it was supposed to work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

When it does fail, does it always fail when the door is going up, or not? This is important becuse the motor is normally working harder to open the door than to close the door. If it always fails going up, then maybe the internal protection against motor overload is reacting to something. Have you sprayed the door hinges and rollers with a silicon spray lubricant? Also, is the track clean/clear of any dirt?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 9, 2015 at 12:52:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
When it does fail, does it always fail when the door is going up, or not? This is important becuse the motor is normally working harder to open the door than to close the door. If it always fails going up, then maybe the internal protection against motor overload is reacting to something. Have you sprayed the door hinges and rollers with a silicon spray lubricant? Also, is the track clean/clear of any dirt?

I still haven't seen that the op disconnected the door and ran it up and down to see if it moved freely and was well balanced. That's the first thing to do with any garage door problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/9/2015 2:42 PM, jamesgang wrote:

I still haven't seen that the op disconnected
the door and ran it up and down to see if it
moved freely and was well balanced. That's the
first thing to do with any garage door problem.

My parents garage door opener would run up for a
couple inches, and then close. Unless they held
the up button, and then it would go all the way
up.

Should I have (first thing) disconnect the machine
and see if it rolls up and down?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgang wrote:
On Monday, February 9, 2015 at 12:52:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
When it does fail, does it always fail when the door is going up, or not? This is important becuse the motor is normally working harder to open the door than to close the door. If it always fails going up, then maybe the internal protection against motor overload is reacting to something. Have you sprayed the door hinges and rollers with a silicon spray lubricant? Also, is the track clean/clear of any dirt?

I still haven't seen that the op disconnected the door and ran it up and down to see if it moved freely and was well balanced. That's the first thing to do with any garage door problem.

Hi,
Op does not seem to be interested in finding the problem and have it
fixed or fix it herself. So far she is repeating same thing over and over.
Open the door does not work wait try again works.......
Not doing any thing else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 14:15:14 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Op does not seem to be interested in finding the problem and have it
fixed or fix it herself. So far she is repeating same thing over and over.
Open the door does not work wait try again works.......
Not doing any thing else.

Tony,

Give her a break, Females often think in emotional terms; not in
mechanical terms. I wouldn't blame her for not knowing the operation
of the GDO.

Just sayin'

Our president doesn't know how to fight a war.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Op does not seem to be interested in finding the problem and have it
fixed or fix it herself. So far she is repeating same thing over and over.
Open the door does not work wait try again works.......
Not doing any thing else.

Tony,

Give her a break, Females often think in emotional terms; not in
mechanical terms. I wouldn't blame her for not knowing the operation
of the GDO.

Just sayin'

Our president doesn't know how to fight a war.

Hi,
Because he was never a soldier?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Op does not seem to be interested in finding the problem and have it
fixed or fix it herself. So far she is repeating same thing over and over.
Open the door does not work wait try again works.......
Not doing any thing else.

Tony,

Give her a break, Females often think in emotional terms; not in
mechanical terms. I wouldn't blame her for not knowing the operation
of the GDO.

Just sayin'

Our president doesn't know how to fight a war.

Hi,
Because he was never a soldier?

You are mistakenly confused about Oren's ability to see reality.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 22:02:59 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

You are mistakenly confused about Oren's ability to see reality.

You are mistaken about Oren. Check some facts.
--
"Never accuse a Soldier of being a Marine"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Op does not seem to be interested in finding the problem and have it
fixed or fix it herself. So far she is repeating same thing over and over.
Open the door does not work wait try again works.......
Not doing any thing else.

Tony,

Give her a break, Females often think in emotional terms; not in
mechanical terms. I wouldn't blame her for not knowing the operation
of the GDO.

Just sayin'

Our president doesn't know how to fight a war.

And Republicans don't know how to pay for them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 16:15:30 -0600, Moe DeLoughan
wrote:

And Republicans don't know how to pay for them.

Who mentioned Republicans?
--

"If you've had an erection lasting four or more hours... congratulations"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/9/2015 4:43 PM, Oren wrote:

Tony,

Give her a break, Females often think in emotional terms; not in
mechanical terms. I wouldn't blame her for not knowing the operation
of the GDO.

Just sayin'

Our president doesn't know how to fight a war.

I hear you. Mrs. Barack is thinking in... uh....

We used to joke about Pres. Clinton, and her
husband Billy.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/9/2015 4:45 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Oren wrote:
Our president doesn't know how to fight a war.

Hi,
Because he was never a soldier?

No, because he was never a man.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

And Republicans don't know how to pay for them.

Who mentioned Republicans?

Who mentioned PEBO in a garage door thread?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Sorry -- I had trouble posting my answer. I did test the door opener. I pushed the button and when it had risen about 18 inches, I stopped it. It stopped and stayed in place.

I have cleaned it - every where that I can see dirt -- and I have sprayed it with WD40 in the places I had been told to use it.

I am reluctant to call for a repairman again because it is doing fine now. When I do have trouble again I am going to call a different company and see what they think. The parts and motor are still under warranty. Labor is not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie, You haven't answered my question - does it only stop going up????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 9:48:36 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Dottie, You haven't answered my question - does it only stop going up????

If it was coming down, it would reverse not stop? Do you want to know if it reverses?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 10:48:36 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Dottie, You haven't answered my question - does it only stop going up????

You raised a good question. I missed that in the original post.
If it stop going up, that would suggest that it's not the obstacle
sensor. I've never seen one that would stop it from going up, only
down. If it's doing it going up, I would suspect that it's the
springs aren't adjusted right, the door is binding, or the upforce
setting needs to be adjusted.

Did she ever try disconnecting the door, seeing how it moves on it's own?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 1:23:03 PM UTC-7, Dottie wrote:

[...]

Download the factory manual here, and especially read chapter 13,
which is about adjustments:

http://www.geniecompany.com/data/pro...manual_eng.pdf

The repair company seems to be staffed by clueless hacks because
a surge protector is never a solution here, and you don't want to
hang something heavy like that from a ceiling AC outlet or let it
sit loose on top of an opener, where motor vibration can make it
move around and, in the case of belt or chain drive openers, possibly
jam in the mechanism (hardly likely with a screw drive opener like
yours). At the very least, the company should have increased the
force adjustment because in a lot of cases that ends problems like
yours. Also the door mechanism should have been checked carefully
for binding and balance, both when the opener was installed and when
the repair company visited. You already paid for a proper diagnosis
and repair but didn't get either in 2 visits, so the company owes you.
Maybe you should file complaints with the registrar of contractors,
any consumer protection agency, and BBB.org.

When the door stopped opening just 2 feet from the ground, did the
light of the overhead unit blink? Sometimes it blinks a certain way
to indicate an error code, sort of like Morse code. Blinking would
indicate a mechanical overload. On the other hand lack of blinking
could indicate a really bad mechanical overload that made the opener
disconnect the power to protect itself. Normally with older style
openers that use AC motors, that's done with a thermostat inside
the motor that pops open when it overheats, so you have to wait
1-10 minutes for it to cool down enough to close, until you can
use it again, but you have an electronically driven DC motor, so
maybe the protection is handled differently, to protect not only
the motor but also the electronics.

Check the manual, which any legitimate installation company would have
left with you. If you don't have it, look here, especially in the
chapter about maintenance & adjustments, starting around page 19:

http://www.geniecompany.com/data/pro...manual_eng.pdf

Maybe all you need to do is increase the force adjustment, which can
be done by pressing buttons a certain way on the remote control. But
you really should disconnect the electrical power to the opener and
then disconnect the opener from the door (pull on the overhead rope)
to verify that the door opens and closes smoothly and evenly on both
sides and is balanced properly (should sit still when raised about 4
feet from the ground). With multi-section doors that
run on tracks, see that the pulleys are in good shape (plastic ones
crack or chip, and both metal and plastic ones can develop worn shaft
bushings), the cables and springs are about evenly tensioned, and
that all the track rollers are in good shape. Rollers and pivot points
should be oiled with about #20 machine oil, not anything like WD-40,
which is mineral spirits), but never oil the track. The screw drive
for the
opener requires a special light grease that won't bind up in the
cold, so don't use NLGI #2 or NLGI #1-#2 axle grease on it. I'm not
sure if even NLGI #1 is light enough for this. Again, don't work on
the opener except with the electrical power disconnected. And if you
work on the door while it's open, place a step ladder under it so
the door can't fall. Also don't adjust springs, especialy torsion
springs (mounted horizontally overhead, in the middle of the door
opening).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 12:29:08 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

If surges have anything to do with this, it would be extremely unusual.
I've never seen a garage door opener on a surge protector. But it is a
good idea to have one whole house surge protector at the panel to
protect all the electronics in the house.

At the very least, the company should have increased the
force adjustment because in a lot of cases that ends problems like
yours. Also the door mechanism should have been checked carefully
for binding and balance, both when the opener was installed and when
the repair company visited. You already paid for a proper diagnosis
and repair but didn't get either in 2 visits, so the company owes you.
Maybe you should file complaints with the registrar of contractors,
any consumer protection agency, and BBB.org.

Or just unhook the door, see if it's balanced, moves freely, then
follow the adjustment procedures for up/down force in the manual.
But it's also hard to imagine that any installer, when called back,
wouldn't have done that. It's very basic stuff. It's also possible
the unit is defective.

..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes Dottie, exactly this problem, only now on time #3 the motor will only move the belt 1" and I'm told the motor is burnt out and I need a new system for $450 installed. It's only 2 years old!