View Single Post
  #5   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster

Default Another Garage Door Opener Problem

On Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 3:23:03 PM UTC-5, Dottie wrote:
I have a Genie Silentmax 1000 Model 3042 Garage door opener. I bought it 3-21-2012 at Home Depot so it is mostly out of warranty by now. Back in Nov. I started having problems. I would press the opener and the door would go up about two feet - or a little less - and stop. I couldn't get it to work. My neighbor unplugged it in the ceiling and when he plugged it up again, it started working. I called the company that installed it and a man came out and checked it. He could find nothing wrong. I still paid for his service call. Less than 30 days later the samee thing happened. A different man checked it. He found nothing. He suggested I get a surge protector. We had been having some power outages here. I did not have to pay a service charge because it was less than 30 days ... A few weeks later the same thing. I climbed up on the ladder and unplugged the door opener from my new surge protector. When I plugged it back in the plastic "socket" chipped off ... it worked but I wasn't happy with it so I got a new electric socket installed there - thinking that might be the problem. But about two weeks later it happened again. Today is the third time...since the new socket was installed. My son said some of these Genie's had been recalled but I can't find ours listed.. its Sunday. I am waiting for my neighbor to come home from work and "listen" to the noise it's making. Haven't a clue about what the problem is. I really like it when it's working right ... it is very quiet. Just wondered if anybody else had this particular model and if they had similar problems. Thanks.

Two questions -- 1. As far as I know it was not disconnected from the door to see if it was hanging up or overloading the motor.

2. He is right - the door stops half way up. It appears to be getting the signal. Now ...

My neighbor came over when he got home from work - I had asked him to ... so he could listen and see if he could hear anything unusual. I had left the door up so when he got here, I pushed the button to close the door. Guess what? It worked like it was supposed to ... twice. As if there had never been a problem. I am going to wait and see if I can find out if anyone else has this problem. Don't want to pay for a service call because it's too hard to find out what is wrong. Thanks - and if you hear about the same problem please post it on this board.