Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Another Garage Door Opener Problem

On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 12:29:08 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 1:23:03 PM UTC-7, Dottie wrote:

I have a Genie Silentmax 1000 Model 3042 Garage door opener.
I bought it 3-21-2012 at Home Depot so it is mostly out of
warranty by now. Back in Nov. I started having problems. I
would press the opener and the door would go up about two
feet - or a little less - and stop. I couldn't get it to work.
My neighbor unplugged it in the ceiling and when he plugged it
up again, it started working. I called the company that
installed it and a man came out and checked it. He could
find nothing wrong. I still paid for his service call. Less
than 30 days later the samee thing happened. A different man
checked it. He found nothing. He suggested I get a surge
protector.

1. As far as I know it was not disconnected from the door to
see if it was hanging up or overloading the motor.

I have cleaned it - every where that I can see dirt -- and I
have sprayed it with WD40 in the places I had been told to use it.

Download the factory manual here, and especially read chapter 13,
which is about adjustments:

http://www.geniecompany.com/data/pro...manual_eng.pdf

The repair company seems to be staffed by clueless hacks because
a surge protector is never a solution here, and you don't want to
hang something heavy like that from a ceiling AC outlet or let it
sit loose on top of an opener, where motor vibration can make it
move around and, in the case of belt or chain drive openers, possibly
jam in the mechanism (hardly likely with a screw drive opener like
yours).

+1
If surges have anything to do with this, it would be extremely unusual.
I've never seen a garage door opener on a surge protector. But it is a
good idea to have one whole house surge protector at the panel to
protect all the electronics in the house.

At the very least, the company should have increased the
force adjustment because in a lot of cases that ends problems like
yours. Also the door mechanism should have been checked carefully
for binding and balance, both when the opener was installed and when
the repair company visited. You already paid for a proper diagnosis
and repair but didn't get either in 2 visits, so the company owes you.
Maybe you should file complaints with the registrar of contractors,
any consumer protection agency, and BBB.org.

Or just unhook the door, see if it's balanced, moves freely, then
follow the adjustment procedures for up/down force in the manual.
But it's also hard to imagine that any installer, when called back,
wouldn't have done that. It's very basic stuff. It's also possible
the unit is defective.

..