Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Windows 10 will be given away as a free upgrade for its first yearof release

Want Windows 10? You got it: for free. This is a sea change in
Microsoft's strategy when it comes to upgrades. Gratis upgrades will
be available for Windows 7, 8.1 and even Windows Phone 8.1 users for a
full year.

http://gizmodo.com/windows-10-is-a-f...ear-1680771504
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Moe DeLoughan" wrote in message
Want Windows 10? You got it: for free. This is a sea change in Microsoft's
strategy when it comes to upgrades. Gratis upgrades will be available for
Windows 7, 8.1 and even Windows Phone 8.1 users for a full year.

Whatz a "sea" change, little mixed up popcorn fart?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2015 2:17 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
Want Windows 10? You got it: for free. This is a sea change in
Microsoft's strategy when it comes to upgrades. Gratis upgrades will be
available for Windows 7, 8.1 and even Windows Phone 8.1 users for a full
year.

http://gizmodo.com/windows-10-is-a-f...ear-1680771504

I heard that and assumed they meant if you bought the computer a year
before the upgrade. Would be nice if all 7 and 8.1 users will get it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
On 1/21/2015 2:17 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
Want Windows 10? You got it: for free. This is a sea change in
Microsoft's strategy when it comes to upgrades. Gratis upgrades will be
available for Windows 7, 8.1 and even Windows Phone 8.1 users for a full
year.

Can youse just answer the question, little popcorn fart feller?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2015 2:22 PM, Frank wrote:
On 1/21/2015 2:17 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
Want Windows 10? You got it: for free. This is a sea change in
Microsoft's strategy when it comes to upgrades. Gratis upgrades will be
available for Windows 7, 8.1 and even Windows Phone 8.1 users for a full
year.

http://gizmodo.com/windows-10-is-a-f...ear-1680771504

I heard that and assumed they meant if you bought the computer a year
before the upgrade. Would be nice if all 7 and 8.1 users will get it.

Should have googled before my post. It will be available to all current
users of 7 and 8.1:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/78...-and-8-1-users

I got an Android based tablet for Christmas and believe Android may be
the worlds largest OS and upgrades are apparently free. If MS wants to
be competitive, this is competition they must beat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 14:42:55 -0500, Frank
wrote:

On 1/21/2015 2:22 PM, Frank wrote:
On 1/21/2015 2:17 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
Want Windows 10? You got it: for free. This is a sea change in
Microsoft's strategy when it comes to upgrades. Gratis upgrades will be
available for Windows 7, 8.1 and even Windows Phone 8.1 users for a full
year.

http://gizmodo.com/windows-10-is-a-f...ear-1680771504

I heard that and assumed they meant if you bought the computer a year
before the upgrade. Would be nice if all 7 and 8.1 users will get it.

Should have googled before my post. It will be available to all current
users of 7 and 8.1:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/78...-and-8-1-users

I got an Android based tablet for Christmas and believe Android may be
the worlds largest OS and upgrades are apparently free. If MS wants to
be competitive, this is competition they must beat.

Define: "free upgrade for its first year of release"

"...How exactly this program will work isn't clear just yet..."

And why don't they include Vista?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 2:22:32 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 1/21/2015 2:17 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
Want Windows 10? You got it: for free. This is a sea change in
Microsoft's strategy when it comes to upgrades. Gratis upgrades will be
available for Windows 7, 8.1 and even Windows Phone 8.1 users for a full
year.

http://gizmodo.com/windows-10-is-a-f...ear-1680771504

I heard that and assumed they meant if you bought the computer a year
before the upgrade. Would be nice if all 7 and 8.1 users will get it.

From googling, it sure looks like it means a year from the date
it's launched, not the date you bought a PC. Seems kind of silly
for MSFT to be making a major announcement, talking about free for Win 7
if it was only if you had bought the PC within a year.
Most PCs aren't be sold with 7 anymore already, no? and 10 is a long ways out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Will be interesting to see. When Win 8.1 came out after 8.0 I was going
to wait a few months to let them debug since I had a year to do it but
after a couple of months they did it without me asking for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2015 3:03 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 2:22:32 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 1/21/2015 2:17 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
Want Windows 10? You got it: for free. This is a sea change in
Microsoft's strategy when it comes to upgrades. Gratis upgrades will be
available for Windows 7, 8.1 and even Windows Phone 8.1 users for a full
year.

http://gizmodo.com/windows-10-is-a-f...ear-1680771504

I heard that and assumed they meant if you bought the computer a year
before the upgrade. Would be nice if all 7 and 8.1 users will get it.

From googling, it sure looks like it means a year from the date
it's launched, not the date you bought a PC. Seems kind of silly
for MSFT to be making a major announcement, talking about free for Win 7
if it was only if you had bought the PC within a year.
Most PCs aren't be sold with 7 anymore already, no? and 10 is a long ways out.

Apparently there are a few computers with 7 to be sold and MS does not
want to make them boat anchors. Oren wondered why not Vista and
probably same reasoning in that there are not any unsold Vista machines.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 15:28:41 -0500, Frank
wrote:

Will be interesting to see. When Win 8.1 came out after 8.0 I was going
to wait a few months to let them debug since I had a year to do it but
after a couple of months they did it without me asking for it.

chuckle

For every "bug" they fix, they introduce 5 more. It is said Win95
went retail with ~65,000 Bugs.

Generally speaking; software with an odd number version will be more
stable. Even number versions not necessarily true. IME

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 3:31:34 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 1/21/2015 3:03 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 2:22:32 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 1/21/2015 2:17 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
Want Windows 10? You got it: for free. This is a sea change in
Microsoft's strategy when it comes to upgrades. Gratis upgrades will be
available for Windows 7, 8.1 and even Windows Phone 8.1 users for a full
year.

http://gizmodo.com/windows-10-is-a-f...ear-1680771504

I heard that and assumed they meant if you bought the computer a year
before the upgrade. Would be nice if all 7 and 8.1 users will get it.

From googling, it sure looks like it means a year from the date
it's launched, not the date you bought a PC. Seems kind of silly
for MSFT to be making a major announcement, talking about free for Win 7
if it was only if you had bought the PC within a year.
Most PCs aren't be sold with 7 anymore already, no? and 10 is a long ways out.

Apparently there are a few computers with 7 to be sold and MS does not
want to make them boat anchors. Oren wondered why not Vista and
probably same reasoning in that there are not any unsold Vista machines.

Again, from everything I've seen online, it's as Moe said, one year from
the date of Win 10 release, not from the date of any PC purchase. Where
do you see that it has anything to do with when the PC was purchased?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Will be interesting to see. When Win 8.1 came out after 8.0 I was going
to wait a few months to let them debug since I had a year to do it but
after a couple of months they did it without me asking for it.

chuckle

For every "bug" they fix, they introduce 5 more. It is said Win95
went retail with ~65,000 Bugs.

Generally speaking; software with an odd number version will be more
stable. Even number versions not necessarily true. IME

They're skipping the designation Windows 9 and calling the new one Windows 10, so I guess now the even numbered versions will be the stable ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Will be interesting to see. When Win 8.1 came out after 8.0 I was going
to wait a few months to let them debug since I had a year to do it but
after a couple of months they did it without me asking for it.

chuckle

For every "bug" they fix, they introduce 5 more. It is said Win95
went retail with ~65,000 Bugs.

Generally speaking; software with an odd number version will be more
stable. Even number versions not necessarily true. IME

They're skipping the designation Windows 9 and calling the new one Windows 10, so I guess now the even numbered versions will be the stable ones.

They skipped version 9, went to version 10. Didn't Apple do the same
approach? MSFT learned something?

--
I like a softer ball. - Joe Biden.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 12:17:56 PM UTC-7, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
Want Windows 10? You got it: for free. This is a sea change in
Microsoft's strategy when it comes to upgrades. Gratis upgrades will
be available for Windows 7, 8.1 and even Windows Phone 8.1 users for a
full year.

http://gizmodo.com/windows-10-is-a-f...ear-1680771504

Liar, liar your pants are on fire. Won't apply to my nearly 3 year old Win 7 system.

Get the facts and get back to us.
=======

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 4:32:06 PM UTC-5, Roy wrote:
On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 12:17:56 PM UTC-7, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
Want Windows 10? You got it: for free. This is a sea change in
Microsoft's strategy when it comes to upgrades. Gratis upgrades will
be available for Windows 7, 8.1 and even Windows Phone 8.1 users for a
full year.

http://gizmodo.com/windows-10-is-a-f...ear-1680771504

Liar, liar your pants are on fire. Won't apply to my nearly 3 year old Win 7 system.

Get the facts and get back to us.
=======

You're making the liar claim. What are you seeing that says it won't?
Everything I've seen online, many sources, say Moe is right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2015 3:32 PM, Roy wrote:
On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 12:17:56 PM UTC-7, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
Want Windows 10? You got it: for free. This is a sea change in
Microsoft's strategy when it comes to upgrades. Gratis upgrades will
be available for Windows 7, 8.1 and even Windows Phone 8.1 users for a
full year.

http://gizmodo.com/windows-10-is-a-f...ear-1680771504

Liar, liar your pants are on fire. Won't apply to my nearly 3 year old Win 7 system.

Get the facts and get back to us.
=======

Too damned lazy to click the link and read, hey? Or are you
comprehension-impaired?

Here's another link:

Free Upgrade Offer

Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified
new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices
that upgrade in the first year!* And even better: once a qualified
Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it
up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more
secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for
no additional charge. Sign up with your email today, and we will send
you more information about Windows 10 and the upgrade offer in the
coming months.

*It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some
hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary
by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows
Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1
Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise,
Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software
Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to
Windows 10 Enterprise outside of this offer. We will be sharing more
information and additional offer terms in coming months.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ows-10_Null_01

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Will be interesting to see. When Win 8.1 came out after 8.0 I was going
to wait a few months to let them debug since I had a year to do it but
after a couple of months they did it without me asking for it.

chuckle

For every "bug" they fix, they introduce 5 more. It is said Win95
went retail with ~65,000 Bugs.

Generally speaking; software with an odd number version will be more
stable. Even number versions not necessarily true. IME

They're skipping the designation Windows 9 and calling the new one Windows 10, so I guess now the even numbered versions will be the stable ones.

They skipped version 9, went to version 10. Didn't Apple do the same
approach? MSFT learned something?

They didn't skip nine, they renamed it to ten. The joke going around
was that Microsoft didn't want to risk having people refer to it as
Windows Nein.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 16:36:19 -0600, Moe DeLoughan
wrote:

We will be sharing more information and additional offer terms in coming months.

See! ...it will be Summer for the consumer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 16:38:47 -0600, Moe DeLoughan
wrote:

They didn't skip nine, they renamed it to ten. The joke going around
was that Microsoft didn't want to risk having people refer to it as
Windows Nein.

Germany will sue MSFT?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2015 3:56 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 3:31:34 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 1/21/2015 3:03 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 2:22:32 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 1/21/2015 2:17 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
Want Windows 10? You got it: for free. This is a sea change in
Microsoft's strategy when it comes to upgrades. Gratis upgrades will be
available for Windows 7, 8.1 and even Windows Phone 8.1 users for a full
year.

http://gizmodo.com/windows-10-is-a-f...ear-1680771504

I heard that and assumed they meant if you bought the computer a year
before the upgrade. Would be nice if all 7 and 8.1 users will get it.

From googling, it sure looks like it means a year from the date
it's launched, not the date you bought a PC. Seems kind of silly
for MSFT to be making a major announcement, talking about free for Win 7
if it was only if you had bought the PC within a year.
Most PCs aren't be sold with 7 anymore already, no? and 10 is a long ways out.

Apparently there are a few computers with 7 to be sold and MS does not
want to make them boat anchors. Oren wondered why not Vista and
probably same reasoning in that there are not any unsold Vista machines.

Again, from everything I've seen online, it's as Moe said, one year from
the date of Win 10 release, not from the date of any PC purchase. Where
do you see that it has anything to do with when the PC was purchased?

My initial thought was that was done in the past when a new OS was
coming out you'd get a chit for the new one when you bought the old one.

I just got an ad from HP that they were selling Win 7 machines with up
to 25% off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2015 2:55 PM, Oren wrote:

And why don't they include Vista?

Because all six people using Vista already upgraded from that crap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 19:03:57 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

And why don't they include Vista?

Because all six people using Vista already upgraded from that crap.

One person didn't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| Would be nice if all 7 and 8.1 users will get it.

Maybe. But no one really knows exactly what it
is yet. P.T. Barnum's Egress exhibit was free, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 19:03:57 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

And why don't they include Vista?

Because all six people using Vista already upgraded from that crap.

One person didn't.

I've got like 6 Vista licenses , all from people that retroed back to XP .
I'm still running XP , and don't plan to change .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 4:03:51 PM UTC-8, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/21/2015 2:55 PM, Oren wrote:

And why don't they include Vista?

Because all six people using Vista already upgraded from that crap.

I'm still using Vista on two of my laptops and Win98SE on my third laptop. No problems at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

| And why don't they include Vista?
|

| Because all six people using Vista already upgraded from that crap.

I don't think there's really much difference between
Vista and 7. I think of them as the same OS. But
there are two factors that make them seem different:

1) It's easier to tone down the pointless nags in
Win7, making it appear to be smoother.

2) Microsoft screwed up the release of Vista. Intel
had a big pile of chipsets they wanted to dump, but
those chipsets couldn't support the demanding Aero
graphics. (The translucent techno-kitsch that was
the only real selling point of Vista/7.) So Microsoft
helped out their buddy, creating new categories of
vista at the last minute. The general public got very
confused, faced with choosing between PCs that
fully ran Vista and PCs that could run Vista but
couldn't do Aero. As a result, Vista got a bad
reputation.

Microsoft acted in a similar way with WinME. When
that version flopped they sort of swept it under the rug,
pretending that it just didn't exist. Now, for some time,
it's been Vista's turn to be the black sheep that no one
admits to. Yet if one just turns off User Account Control
in Vista I don't think there's much difference between
that and Win7. (Personally I avoid both. I occasionally use
Win7-64 for memory intensive things, but I prefer the
leaner, no-nonsense style of XP. It doesn't fight with
me about how I want to do things, and its spyware
functionality is less well developed.)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 3:36:24 PM UTC-7, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 1/21/2015 3:32 PM, Roy wrote:
[...]

Some editions are excluded. Some other conditions apply. Must be connected to the Internet.

If I QUALIFY I may be interested.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2015 3:32 PM, Roy wrote:
[...]

Wow, must be connected to the internet to get the free update.
What a show stopping hurdle for consumers! Outrageous!

So far, from what I see my Win 7 PCs are covered.
Amazing how some folks want to just **** all over stuff, even when it
looks genuine and generous. I mean here is MSFT giving out a free
major OS upgrade and you're complaining.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ows-10_Null_01

I can't see any content on that webpage. I don't
know why. Here's another link to Mary Jo Foley, who
seems to be as much an insider as anyone when it
comes to MS:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...one-8-1-users/

Note that she points out Win10 will be a service,
not a software product. Once you go to Win10
you'll likely have very little control over your computer.
(Similarly, I think Apple OS upgrades are now free,
but Apple is basically selling the device and making
a lot of their money by locking it down and then selling
services, like music through iTunes. They don't just
hand it out for free because they're generous.... and
no one would ever accuse Apple of being generous.)

Win8 Metro is probably a good portent of what to
expect with Win10. It's likely people will have to get
a "Microsoft ID", allow Microsoft total control and
access, which also means fullscale spying, as well
as restrictions on what one can install/use/buy. It's
hard to guess how they might integrate that with
computers that are actually used to do anything more
than shop and play games. Maybe they'll show ads.
Maybe they'll just "sell you down the river" to marketers
and data miners. But one way or the other, you can
be sure they intend to make more money on you by
giving it away free than they do by selling it. Otherwise
they wouldn't be doing it.

Restrictions and spying are becoming a big problem.
I see articles repeatedly about both iPhone and Android
phones, detailing the near impossibility of not being
tracked everywhere one goes, and spied on by much of
the installed software. It's becoming very difficult to
not be locked into a service and lose control of the device.
Win10 is likely to be a similar situation. So it might be wise
to at least wait and see how it plays out before jumping
on board.

Just yesterday I saw an article about how Google
is looking into entering the insurance business. The
explanation was that Google already knows how and
where people drive, through their Android phones
running GPS, which are essentially radio collar tracking
devices. So Google could be one up on other insurance
companies in terms of knowing the best rates to
charge individual customers.
Microsoft wants a piece of that action. They know
their strength is the Windows base. Their angle now,
as seen through their ads, is to convert that to a
big customer base of people who find it convenient
to live in Metro-land, whether on PC, tablet, or phone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 9:32:40 AM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ows-10_Null_01

I can't see any content on that webpage. I don't
know why. Here's another link to Mary Jo Foley, who
seems to be as much an insider as anyone when it
comes to MS:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...one-8-1-users/

Note that she points out Win10 will be a service,
not a software product.

She didn't say it's not a software product. It obviously is.
What she said was MSFT will be treating it like a service by updating
it for life on the device and that there wouldn't be version numbers.

Once you go to Win10
you'll likely have very little control over your computer.

No indication of that at all from what you posted.

[...]

Realistically, I wonder how much MSFT actually makes from selling
upgrades, at least to the home market. I doubt it's a core of
their revenue stream. I haven't paid for an upgrade in probably 15 years.
I probably paid for one upgrade ever. I think most people are
in that boat too. You get an OS with the PC when you buy it, do
whatever free upgrades there are and that's it. The upgrades never
offered anything compelling enough to justify the price. And by
the time they do, you probably are ready for new hardware too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2015 9:39 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I've got like 6 Vista licenses , all from people that retroed back to XP .
I'm still running XP , and don't plan to change .

I still have an XP machine at home and a couple at work. They are doing
what needs to be done, reliably. W7 is better, but I'd now spend the
money unless I was putting it towards a new machine out of need.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2015 11:22 PM, Mayayana wrote:
| And why don't they include Vista?
|

| Because all six people using Vista already upgraded from that crap.

I don't think there's really much difference between
Vista and 7. I think of them as the same OS. But
there are two factors that make them seem different:

I know of a few people running Vista from a new machine and have had no
problems. I know people that upgraded from XP to Vista and had many
problems. That may be the biggest difference in reliability. W7 was
explained to me as being "what Vista was supposed to be".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2015 2:17 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
Want Windows 10? You got it: for free.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. What does Microsoft get out of
all of this?
Articles claim Microsoft is now looking at Windows 10 as a Service. What
does that mean? To me it might mean it will be just another way to suck
up info on what you do with your Windows device up to a mothership in
the cloud, that mothership analyzing that data and selling it to the
highest bidders, perhaps targeting you for custom ads, like the
robocalls on the phone you get when you sit down for dinner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 14:29:01 -0500, Steve Stone
wrote:

Articles claim Microsoft is now looking at Windows 10 as a Service. What
does that mean? To me it might mean it will be just another way to suck
up info on what you do with your Windows device up to a mothership in
the cloud, that mothership analyzing that data and selling it to the
highest bidders, perhaps targeting you for custom ads, like the
robocalls on the phone you get when you sit down for dinner.

We're all gonna die! Hands Up - Don't Shoot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2015 9:46 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

I don't know what the ratio of corporate upgrades is to personal but I
believe they get a more expensive platform, e.g. Windows XP NT which is
on a computer owned by a company I consult for. They are also slow to
upgrade as while US branch is on Windows 7, UK still has machines on XP.

Whatever reason MS is out to maximize its profits and market share and
they have to compete against free OS's and free upgrades.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On 1/21/2015 3:32 PM, Roy wrote:
[...]

If Windows 10 is to be given out FREE, then we should be able to go to a computer outlet such as Staples or The Source and get a FREE disk with the software and no questions asked. Downloading the software as a service gives way too much control to Microsoft. I wonder if after the FREE offer is over will the purchased version be substantially different than the FREE one. There has to be a catch somewhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2015 2:29 PM, Steve Stone wrote:
On 1/21/2015 2:17 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
Want Windows 10? You got it: for free.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. What does Microsoft get out of
all of this?
Articles claim Microsoft is now looking at Windows 10 as a Service. What
does that mean?

I can see a few reasons. One is market share. They want to rule the OS
market and this will give them a boost.

The other is a service provider. My guess is they will have some "pay
for" options. Want cloud storage? Want certain add-ons? They already
have a version of Office that you pay by monthly fee so there may be
more of that.

Maybe they really do just want to treat us all to a free lunch. They
also want world dominance, but that is a minor point you don't have to
bother yourself with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2015 2:29 PM, Steve Stone wrote:
highest bidders, perhaps targeting you for custom ads, like the
robocalls on the phone you get when you sit down for dinner.

I never, ever, ever buy from spam callers.
Try to keep em on the line as long as
possible, so they don't go bother some
one else. Must be someone is buying,
they keep coming on.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 3:25:30 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/22/2015 2:29 PM, Steve Stone wrote:
highest bidders, perhaps targeting you for custom ads, like the
robocalls on the phone you get when you sit down for dinner.

I never, ever, ever buy from spam callers.
Try to keep em on the line as long as
possible, so they don't go bother some
one else. Must be someone is buying,
they keep coming on.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

I was thinking of trying Linux as the OS for my home computer after I retire and have time to fool around with that sort of thing. Anyone on here use Linux?

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 13:17:51 -0600, Moe DeLoughan
wrote:

Want Windows 10? You got it: for free. This is a sea change in
Microsoft's strategy when it comes to upgrades. Gratis upgrades will
be available for Windows 7, 8.1 and even Windows Phone 8.1 users for a
full year.

http://gizmodo.com/windows-10-is-a-f...ear-1680771504

Me thinks this is Much Ado About Nothing. I am running Windows 7 and I
don't like it. I hated 95 and 98 was just as bad. 2000 was an
improvement but still sucked. I would be running Linux except one
program I use, Pro-Engineer, has discontinued Linux support for their
product two versions earlier than what I have. So I am pretty much
stuck with Windows.

A free upgrade to 10 is like winning first place in a contest and
getting an all expense paid, one week vacation to Cleveland, Ohio.
Second place is a two week vacation to Cleveland, Ohio.

Apparently Microsoft is feeling the heat.