Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tire pressure

Harry K wrote:

Yes, it is mandatory and has been for several years. The other "nice"
part is if you run two sets of mounted tires (winter/summer), the second
set also has to have them and that runs big bucks.

Or you ignore the amber icon all winter. I'm good with that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

I've not run a second set of rims on a passenger vehicle in at least 40
years; doubt if there's one in ten-thousand that do...

Holding up his hand... I rotate and swap the winter and summer rims/tires
myself. I don't get any surprises if I have a flat since I don't torque the
nuts down to 400 ft-lbs like the Magnificent Hulk at the tire store. When it
comes time for a new set of shoes, I dump the set off in the morning and
pick them up at night rather than hanging around a tire store for hours.
Works for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

Other than possibly minimizing vandalism and the very rare chance of a
thrown rock or the like damaging the stem can't think of any. Altho
I've had some that the hanger would only allow the rim to sit that way
as the centering portion was too high for the recess otherwise.

On my F150, I would have to go with a longer center bolt. I'm not sure if
the nut assembly would interfere but I don't think so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:

For two dollars more, you could probably get a left-handed tire pressure
gauge.

You only needed those for the older Chrysler products with the left handed
lug nuts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Windell Stiefer wrote:

How about on the fly pressure adjustment ?
Drop a few pounds in rain or snow, add a few pounds for highway gas
mileage. Baby whales need to breathe too.

http://airgotireinflation.com/produc...ler-inflation/

Semis have high pressure air available but I suppose you could adapt the
system.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/13/2014 1:41 PM, rbowman wrote:
dpb wrote:

I've not run a second set of rims on a passenger vehicle in at least 40
years; doubt if there's one in ten-thousand that do...

Holding up his hand... I rotate and swap the winter and summer rims/tires
myself. I don't get any surprises if I have a flat since I don't torque the
nuts down to 400 ft-lbs like the Magnificent Hulk at the tire store. When it
comes time for a new set of shoes, I dump the set off in the morning and
pick them up at night rather than hanging around a tire store for hours.
Works for me.

Not enough snow/ice here to bother to change the automobiles out and the
4x4 PUs all have all-weather on them, anyway. When it does snow here,
it almost always blows so much that car can't do anything with the
drifting anyway because such low ground clearance so the tires really
make no difference.

Bought the wife a Buick Lucerne w/ the AWD and 20" rims so she'd have
something w/ more traction/clearance on the muddy roads when it does
(rarely last several years of drought) rain enough that the roads are
muddy...it's been useful a couple of times since had it for the purpose.
It's also actually a decent field-errand car for meals during harvest
time and the like as she's so short that getting in/out of and driving
the 4-wheelers is a lot of work and she doesn't like them. The Enclave
handles the sandy fields very well and has enough clearance to not high
center unduly or be a terrible fire hazard w/ the catalytic converter
dragging stubble...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

From the 2008 model year on, such systems have been mandatory because
it was recognized that incorrect tire pressure can contribute to
accidents and that people don't seem to bother to check their tire
pressures these days.

Almost every new safety device has been resisted, either because people
didn't want to pay for it, or because they saw it as itself dangerous
("Electric headlights are too bright: they'll dazzle people; let's stick
to kerosene"), or both.

The Feds predicted about 120 lives a year might be saved. With about 33,000
fatalities a year in the US that is hardly an overwhelming return on what
they estimated would be a cost approaching 900 - 1000 million per year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

Not enough snow/ice here to bother to change the automobiles out and the
4x4 PUs all have all-weather on them, anyway. When it does snow here,
it almost always blows so much that car can't do anything with the
drifting anyway because such low ground clearance so the tires really
make no difference.

The temperatures here tend to hover around 32 for much of the winter. Add in
an inch or two of fresh snow, sometimes every night, and you have a perfect
environment to turn roadways into ice rinks. All weather treads don't do
much, nor is 4WD all that useful when all four are sliding.

The city is very religious about snow removal; God put it there and God will
remove it when He feels like it. The main arteries wear down to pavement
eventually, but the side streets just turns to ice, with nice frozen berms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo " wrote in message
On 12/12/2014 09:09 AM, rbowman wrote:
KenK wrote:

I had an interesting? thought. Why doesn't someone come out with a
gauge
that you push against the side of the tire that measures the deflection?
Beats removing a cap and fooling with a fussy tire air pressure gauge.
It
might need to be calibrated by the user with a regular gauge depending
on
type of tire. I'd buy one (if it didn't cost an arm and a leg).

What do you think?

I think it would be difficult to calibrate and have a cost considerably
higher than a $2.95 Slime pencil type tire gauge. I picked the Slime
brand
because a review in a motorcycle magazine, where people tend to be less
casual about tire pressures, found it as good as any and better than
most,
including the upscale digital models.

The industry is one step ahead of that.

A friend of mine bought a /used/ car and it has built-in tire pressure
sensors. She got a warning when one of the tires was low.

Since the car was used, that means the technology must have been around
for a while now.

It's a federal requirement goin back a number of years. I'm not at all
impressed with whats offered OEM but after market sensons can be reliable
but you get what you pay for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:

[...]

Wife's car has these sensors. One went bad and showed tire to be under
inflated when it was inflated to the proper pressure. Dealer charged $100
for a new sensor and $100 to put it in. I would have been tempted to put a
piece of masking tape over the red warning light. I have the same model
car but older without the sensors and I've never been worried about it.

I rented a Toyota that had a screen that showed the pressure of each tire.
Warning light came on but did not say which tire and I had to check them
all with my gauge. Being a rental car, they varied by about 10 psi.

Our masters in DC have mandated this. Can't wait for the mandated backup
camera - more expensive **** to go bad

You were ripped. OEM replacementas rub ~ $50 all over the internet. Many
tire dealerships will do the replacement for free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Friday, December 12, 2014 9:00:40 AM UTC-8, dpb wrote:
On 12/12/2014 9:16 AM, philo wrote:

The industry is one step ahead of that.

A friend of mine bought a /used/ car and it has built-in tire pressure
sensors. She got a warning when one of the tires was low.

Since the car was used, that means the technology must have been around
for a while now.

Probably close to 10 yr if not longer; not sure whether it's yet in the
"mandatory" column for new or not but haven't had a vehicle without it
since an '06 model LeSabre that had them.

Yes, it is mandatory and has been for several years. The other "nice"
part is if you run two sets of mounted tires (winter/summer), the second
set also has to have them and that runs big bucks.

Why does the second set have to have them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2014 10:07 PM, NotMe wrote:
"Harry wrote in message
On Friday, December 12, 2014 9:00:40 AM UTC-8, dpb wrote:
On 12/12/2014 9:16 AM, philo wrote:

The industry is one step ahead of that.

A friend of mine bought a /used/ car and it has built-in tire pressure
sensors. She got a warning when one of the tires was low.

Since the car was used, that means the technology must have been around
for a while now.

Probably close to 10 yr if not longer; not sure whether it's yet in the
"mandatory" column for new or not but haven't had a vehicle without it
since an '06 model LeSabre that had them.

Yes, it is mandatory and has been for several years. The other "nice"
part is if you run two sets of mounted tires (winter/summer), the second
set also has to have them and that runs big bucks.

Why does the second set have to have them?

The vehicle is looking for input from those sensors. If it doesn't see
them it goes full time into some sort of stability assist mode.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Liz Megerle wrote:

The vehicle is looking for input from those sensors. If it doesn't see
them it goes full time into some sort of stability assist mode.

I'm glad my car isn't that smart. Or dumb. I've come to like the
traction/stability control in most cases but at times I'd like to be able to
turn it off too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK posted for all of us...

From time to time this subject has come up.

I had an interesting? thought. Why doesn't someone come out with a gauge
that you push against the side of the tire that measures the deflection?
Beats removing a cap and fooling with a fussy tire air pressure gauge. It
might need to be calibrated by the user with a regular gauge depending on
type of tire. I'd buy one (if it didn't cost an arm and a leg).

What do you think?

Deflection is not the way to measure. Is the fuel tank empty or full? Driver
inside or out? On a stone or flat surface? Buy a dial type with hose and
don't drop it. Or digital.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® wrote:
KenK posted for all of us...

From time to time this subject has come up.

I had an interesting? thought. Why doesn't someone come out with a gauge
that you push against the side of the tire that measures the deflection?
Beats removing a cap and fooling with a fussy tire air pressure gauge. It
might need to be calibrated by the user with a regular gauge depending on
type of tire. I'd buy one (if it didn't cost an arm and a leg).

What do you think?

Deflection is not the way to measure. Is the fuel tank empty or full? Driver
inside or out? On a stone or flat surface? Buy a dial type with hose and
don't drop it. Or digital.

Hmm,
Our cars came with TPMS. When replacing tire, they can be reused with
a kit which basically new valve seal, nut, washer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 12, 2014 at 9:40:22 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
From time to time this subject has come up.

I had an interesting? thought. Why doesn't someone come out with a gauge
that you push against the side of the tire that measures the deflection?
Beats removing a cap and fooling with a fussy tire air pressure gauge. It
might need to be calibrated by the user with a regular gauge depending on
type of tire. I'd buy one (if it didn't cost an arm and a leg).

What do you think?

Buying a *good* tire pressure gauge with a good chuck on it makes checking pressure less frustrating. Good chuck especially, I want one that will go on and off with minimal pressure loss. My local speed shop just had a sale on "last year's model" Longacre dial/hose type gauges for $20 so I bought a new one and gave my old one to a kid who didn't have one at all.

Which reminds me, I better actually check that the new one works before the returns window runs out

Better yet, I used a Cornwell digital inflator last time I was at my friend's shop with a locking chuck, damn that is a sweet tool. Apparently there's a new Cornwell rep in the area who's aggressively trying to catch all the shops his predecessor missed... sure that one isn't $20 though.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:

[...]

It has but I would not rely on it unless you have an actual pressure readout in real PSI. a "Low Tire" warning just means that the tire has 75% of the door sticker pressure, I'd prefer to know before that point.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 5:41:31 PM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:
TekkieĹ˝ wrote:
KenK posted for all of us...

From time to time this subject has come up.

I had an interesting? thought. Why doesn't someone come out with a gauge
that you push against the side of the tire that measures the deflection?
Beats removing a cap and fooling with a fussy tire air pressure gauge. It
might need to be calibrated by the user with a regular gauge depending on
type of tire. I'd buy one (if it didn't cost an arm and a leg).

What do you think?

Deflection is not the way to measure. Is the fuel tank empty or full? Driver
inside or out? On a stone or flat surface? Buy a dial type with hose and
don't drop it. Or digital.

Hmm,
Our cars came with TPMS. When replacing tire, they can be reused with
a kit which basically new valve seal, nut, washer.

They only last about 5-7 years though :/ Already replaced two on my 2009 MY car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote: "It has but I would not rely on it unless
you have an actual pressure readout in real PSI.
a "Low Tire" warning just means that the tire has 75%
of the door sticker pressure, I'd prefer to know before
that point. "

Lucky you! The TPMS on my car were calibrated to
-5psi below the maximum pressure on my TIRES(41psi).

My door sticker says 30psi all four, so even if I keep
them at 32psi, my tires are still 'underinflated' according
to some guv'mint gadget installed in them! So I
just drive around and ignore the light.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/09/2015 9:35 AM, Pat wrote:

Mine have a calibrate button (in the car) that you press when the
tires are inflated to my desired pressure. You act like your 41psi
calibration is set in stone. Are you sure?

I'd venture that's true in all systems that aren't actual
pressure...certainly was in all the vehicles I've had before the switch
to actual tire pressures (which I've found to be quite accurate and
reliable on all my GM vehicles).

The setting procedure was quite varied between different models and
years and manufacturers and some were extremely convoluted, but that's
the way they all worked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:

[...]

That depends on the car and the setup. Some notify when down as
little as 2.5 PSI for sure - possibly some less.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat:

It's what the dealer told me. Like I said, I 'monitor' my own tires. Besides, how much gas does a tpms save when it allows tires to get 25% below recommended pressure?

If something's important, such as keeping up your tire pressure during fall to winter, you make the time for it, and get a decent gauge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith: +1

Metal(brass?) Sears dial gauge here with deflator button.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb: 2008 Kia. Very likely batteries have died on these TPMS modules by now.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/09/2015 1:35 PM, wrote:
dpb: 2008 Kia. Very likely batteries have died on these TPMS modules by now.

Doesn't matter regarding how the system actually worked...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat:

On the Kias at least the tpms needs to be dealer reset. And since I've had a dashlight since 2012, I suspect one of the units might be damaged or maladjusted. If I inflate my tires to at least 35psi, the light goes out. So it may not be a battery in one of the modules.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith wrote:

A good gauge can be had for a buck or two. I've been using a dial
gauge for the past 7-8 years. Think I paid 2-3 bucks. It's all
mostly plastic, but it reads the same pressure as my stick gauges.
It's easier to read than the sticks

Motorcycle Consumer News, an ad free magazine, did a test of tire gauges a
couple of years ago. There were several fancy ones but the $3 Slime pencil
type did as well as any.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I actually adjust my pressure down to 1/10th PSI. Yeah, it
matters that much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote: "I adjust to 1/100 PSI
and stop every ten miles to adjust. In really
cold weather I can go 15 miles before they
get too high. "

Sarcasm unnecessary. If I notice a
difference, then it has worked for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sarcasm unnecessary. If I notice a
difference, then it has worked for me.

Placebos work just fine...

Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman, Ed Pawlowski:

I check my tires on a time basis and in
a manner that satisfies ME. Some drivers
never check them.

I'm proud not to be in the latter category.
Think about how you would feel if someone
else made the same comments about you that
you did about me. Treat others the way
you would like to be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote: "- show quoted text -
Wow, you were serious about 1/10 of a pound????
I know some serious car guys but never heard of anyone be
that anal. "

How about the way you arrange all the socks in your
drawer by color?

Seriously, before you call someone anal, think about how
you'd feel if someone called YOU anal.

Like I said, for every one of me, there are 100 who don't
even TOUCH their tires. Think about that next time
you're on the highway - how many adjacent vehicles
are riding 10psi above or below their recommended
pressures.

Back to topic, people: TIRE PRESSURES - not
how "anal" someone is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:

[...]

Hi,
It gives actual pressure reading(mine in KPa) 2008 Acura MDX. I have 2
sets of them for summer and winter tires. So far so good.