Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tire pressure

From time to time this subject has come up.

I had an interesting? thought. Why doesn't someone come out with a gauge
that you push against the side of the tire that measures the deflection?
Beats removing a cap and fooling with a fussy tire air pressure gauge. It
might need to be calibrated by the user with a regular gauge depending on
type of tire. I'd buy one (if it didn't cost an arm and a leg).

What do you think?

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:

I had an interesting? thought. Why doesn't someone come out with a gauge
that you push against the side of the tire that measures the deflection?
Beats removing a cap and fooling with a fussy tire air pressure gauge. It
might need to be calibrated by the user with a regular gauge depending on
type of tire. I'd buy one (if it didn't cost an arm and a leg).

What do you think?

I think it would be difficult to calibrate and have a cost considerably
higher than a $2.95 Slime pencil type tire gauge. I picked the Slime brand
because a review in a motorcycle magazine, where people tend to be less
casual about tire pressures, found it as good as any and better than most,
including the upscale digital models.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 09:09 AM, rbowman wrote:
KenK wrote:

I had an interesting? thought. Why doesn't someone come out with a gauge
that you push against the side of the tire that measures the deflection?
Beats removing a cap and fooling with a fussy tire air pressure gauge. It
might need to be calibrated by the user with a regular gauge depending on
type of tire. I'd buy one (if it didn't cost an arm and a leg).

What do you think?

I think it would be difficult to calibrate and have a cost considerably
higher than a $2.95 Slime pencil type tire gauge. I picked the Slime brand
because a review in a motorcycle magazine, where people tend to be less
casual about tire pressures, found it as good as any and better than most,
including the upscale digital models.

The industry is one step ahead of that.

A friend of mine bought a /used/ car and it has built-in tire pressure
sensors. She got a warning when one of the tires was low.

Since the car was used, that means the technology must have been around
for a while now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:

[...]

Wife's car has these sensors. One went bad and showed tire to be under
inflated when it was inflated to the proper pressure. Dealer charged
$100 for a new sensor and $100 to put it in. I would have been tempted
to put a piece of masking tape over the red warning light. I have the
same model car but older without the sensors and I've never been worried
about it.

I rented a Toyota that had a screen that showed the pressure of each
tire. Warning light came on but did not say which tire and I had to
check them all with my gauge. Being a rental car, they varied by about
10 psi.

Our masters in DC have mandated this. Can't wait for the mandated
backup camera - more expensive **** to go bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 11:39 AM, Frank wrote:

Wife's car has these sensors. One went bad and showed tire to be under
inflated when it was inflated to the proper pressure. Dealer charged
$100 for a new sensor and $100 to put it in. I would have been tempted
to put a piece of masking tape over the red warning light. I have the
same model car but older without the sensors and I've never been worried
about it.

Avoid the dealer. A local tire shop charges $10 for them installed if
replaced with new tires. Probably would have charged you $20 or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 11:59 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/12/2014 11:39 AM, Frank wrote:

Wife's car has these sensors. One went bad and showed tire to be under
inflated when it was inflated to the proper pressure. Dealer charged
$100 for a new sensor and $100 to put it in. I would have been tempted
to put a piece of masking tape over the red warning light. I have the
same model car but older without the sensors and I've never been worried
about it.

Avoid the dealer. A local tire shop charges $10 for them installed if
replaced with new tires. Probably would have charged you $20 or so.

I would, but she won't.
Dealers won't do low cost repairs. Shops are tough too unless you're
spending big bucks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:

[...]

I don't think they have yet mandated that when this expensive **** goes bad
it has to be repaired. not yet, anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 11:39:32 -0500, Frank
wrote in

Wife's car has these sensors. One went bad and showed tire to be under
inflated when it was inflated to the proper pressure. Dealer charged
$100 for a new sensor and $100 to put it in.

That's what those sensors are for: making $$$ for the dealers.

I would have been tempted
to put a piece of masking tape over the red warning light. I have the
same model car but older without the sensors and I've never been worried
about it.

That's exactly what I did... five years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:

Wife's car has these sensors. One went bad and showed tire to be under
inflated when it was inflated to the proper pressure. Dealer charged
$100 for a new sensor and $100 to put it in. I would have been tempted
to put a piece of masking tape over the red warning light. I have the
same model car but older without the sensors and I've never been worried
about it.

I have the studs mounted on a set of rims that don't have the TPMS sensors.
The orange light flashes a few times when I start up and then goes solid.
It's not annoying enough to bother taping particularly since the panel is in
the center of the dash.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:

[...]

You were ripped. OEM replacementas rub ~ $50 all over the internet. Many
tire dealerships will do the replacement for free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 10:16 AM, philo wrote:

The industry is one step ahead of that.

A friend of mine bought a /used/ car and it has built-in tire pressure
sensors. She got a warning when one of the tires was low.

Since the car was used, that means the technology must have been around
for a while now.

Huh? You can buy cars less than a year old as "used". The technology
has been around over five years though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 10:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/12/2014 10:16 AM, philo wrote:

The industry is one step ahead of that.

A friend of mine bought a /used/ car and it has built-in tire pressure
sensors. She got a warning when one of the tires was low.

Since the car was used, that means the technology must have been around
for a while now.

Huh? You can buy cars less than a year old as "used". The technology
has been around over five years though.

My friends cannot afford "late model" used cars.

Half my friends don't even own a car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 11:21:32 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 12/12/2014 10:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/12/2014 10:16 AM, philo wrote:

The industry is one step ahead of that.

A friend of mine bought a /used/ car and it has built-in tire pressure
sensors. She got a warning when one of the tires was low.

Since the car was used, that means the technology must have been around
for a while now.

Huh? You can buy cars less than a year old as "used". The technology
has been around over five years though.

My friends cannot afford "late model" used cars.

Half my friends don't even own a car.

Well, I don't know any of your friends.

Not that I think about it, my 2001 LeSabre had a low pressure
indicator so the technology goes back quite a ways.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/12/2014 9:16 AM, philo wrote:

The industry is one step ahead of that.

A friend of mine bought a /used/ car and it has built-in tire pressure
sensors. She got a warning when one of the tires was low.

Since the car was used, that means the technology must have been around
for a while now.

Probably close to 10 yr if not longer; not sure whether it's yet in the
"mandatory" column for new or not but haven't had a vehicle without it
since an '06 model LeSabre that had them.

The '06 was the "one is bad, not indication of which" variety of
indicator but all since all have at least an indication of which but
since '10 all have digital readout on each tire.

I've yet to have one go bad with four vehicles and a combined mileage of
probably 500k as a group, so in my mind they're _a_good_thing_ (tm) and
well worth the relatively small initial cost.

Somebody brought up the rear camera -- it's in the '10 Enclave and I
find it of little real value. I suppose if one had small kids it would
have a chance of saving a backup incident but I've had the vehicle for
five+ years now and I rarely, if ever, actually look at it. The backup
IR sensors are excessively sensitive and somewhat annoying; if I had
only a little more ambition I'd find the location of the beeper and put
something over it to mute them significantly. I suspect in an instance
or two over the life of a vehicle they'd have the possibility to prevent
a fender crunch but are exceedingly irritating trying to parallel park
in a tight spot as they start alarming far too far away from actual
impact. That _could_ be tuned; others may be better...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 12, 2014 9:00:40 AM UTC-8, dpb wrote:
On 12/12/2014 9:16 AM, philo wrote:

The industry is one step ahead of that.

A friend of mine bought a /used/ car and it has built-in tire pressure
sensors. She got a warning when one of the tires was low.

Since the car was used, that means the technology must have been around
for a while now.

Probably close to 10 yr if not longer; not sure whether it's yet in the
"mandatory" column for new or not but haven't had a vehicle without it
since an '06 model LeSabre that had them.

Yes, it is mandatory and has been for several years. The other "nice" part is if you run two sets of mounted tires (winter/summer), the second set also has to have them and that runs big bucks.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/12/2014 12:05 PM, Harry K wrote:
On Friday, December 12, 2014 9:00:40 AM UTC-8, dpb wrote:

Probably close to 10 yr if not longer; not sure whether it's yet in the
"mandatory" column for new or not but haven't had a vehicle without it
since an '06 model LeSabre that had them.

Yes, it is mandatory and has been for several years. The other
"nice" part is if you run two sets of mounted tires (winter/summer),
the second set also has to have them and that runs big bucks.

Don't see why that is a "must", necessarily. Of course, the system
won't function correctly without them, but don't see anything that would
make it mandatory.

I've not run a second set of rims on a passenger vehicle in at least 40
years; doubt if there's one in ten-thousand that do...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:

Yes, it is mandatory and has been for several years. The other "nice"
part is if you run two sets of mounted tires (winter/summer), the second
set also has to have them and that runs big bucks.

Or you ignore the amber icon all winter. I'm good with that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Friday, December 12, 2014 9:00:40 AM UTC-8, dpb wrote:
On 12/12/2014 9:16 AM, philo wrote:

The industry is one step ahead of that.

A friend of mine bought a /used/ car and it has built-in tire pressure
sensors. She got a warning when one of the tires was low.

Since the car was used, that means the technology must have been around
for a while now.

Probably close to 10 yr if not longer; not sure whether it's yet in the
"mandatory" column for new or not but haven't had a vehicle without it
since an '06 model LeSabre that had them.

Yes, it is mandatory and has been for several years. The other "nice"
part is if you run two sets of mounted tires (winter/summer), the second
set also has to have them and that runs big bucks.

Why does the second set have to have them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 11:00 AM, dpb wrote:

[snip]

The '06 was the "one is bad, not indication of which" variety of
indicator but all since all have at least an indication of which but
since '10 all have digital readout on each tire.

I was visiting a friend who had bought a new pickup at about that time,
and it had one like that. The light came on and he checked all 4 tires
on the ground. None of them were low. It was the spare tire.

On this pickup, the spare tire is mounted under the bed, with the valve
up (and so inaccessible), making it hard to check. He put it back on
with the valve down.

BTW, is these some benefit to having the valve up (and hidden)?

--
12 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"All great ideas are dangerous." -- Oscar Wilde
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/13/2014 11:50 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 12/12/2014 11:00 AM, dpb wrote:

[snip]

The '06 was the "one is bad, not indication of which" variety of
indicator but all since all have at least an indication of which but
since '10 all have digital readout on each tire.

I was visiting a friend who had bought a new pickup at about that time,
and it had one like that. The light came on and he checked all 4 tires
on the ground. None of them were low. It was the spare tire.

On this pickup, the spare tire is mounted under the bed, with the valve
up (and so inaccessible), making it hard to check. He put it back on
with the valve down.

BTW, is these some benefit to having the valve up (and hidden)?

Now, w/o a full-size spare, not sure any have the sensor in the
spare...and don't think have ever had one even with the full-size rim
that had it in the spare. Certainly never had any indication of such on
any vehicle I've had (bunch of GM and one Chrysler in the lot).

Other than possibly minimizing vandalism and the very rare chance of a
thrown rock or the like damaging the stem can't think of any. Altho
I've had some that the hanger would only allow the rim to sit that way
as the centering portion was too high for the recess otherwise. OTOMH
can't think of which way any of the current three are...haven't had to
use the spare in years (which is actually quite an unusual occurrence
come to think of it with the number of flats get from stuff in the dirt
road that gets turned over almost every time they grade them. Of
course, the car tires aren't as rugged so small stuff that gets them
doesn't always actually cause a puncture in the trucks...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote in news:m%_iw.916693
:

On this pickup, the spare tire is mounted under the bed, with the valve
up (and so inaccessible), making it hard to check.

I had a pickup like that. I soon put an eyebolt in the truck bed, and
chained the spare to it. Drove like that for over 20 years. Seldom needed
it but when I did was a lot more convenient. And especially convenient to
check air pressure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

Probably close to 10 yr if not longer; not sure whether it's yet in the
"mandatory" column for new or not but haven't had a vehicle without it
since an '06 model LeSabre that had them.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/ruli...nalrule.6.html

Since 2008, the way I read it.

Scroll down to the ' D. Impacts of the Final Rule' section. The estimate
was TPMS might save 120 lives per year and the sensor system would cost more
than any payback from fuel efficiency or tire mileage. In 2012 there were
33,561 traffic fatalities. This is down from 41,259 in 2007 though I expect
people not being able to afford gasoline may swamp out any tire pressure
problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:

The industry is one step ahead of that.

A friend of mine bought a /used/ car and it has built-in tire pressure
sensors. She got a warning when one of the tires was low.

Since the car was used, that means the technology must have been around
for a while now.

It has been but the OP was asking for an alternative to a pressure gauge.
For example I have a set of aftermarket rims that I have the studs mounted
on. They don't have the sensors and for the price of 4 sensors I can check
the pressure periodically.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:

[...]

It's a federal requirement goin back a number of years. I'm not at all
impressed with whats offered OEM but after market sensons can be reliable
but you get what you pay for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:

[...]

It has but I would not rely on it unless you have an actual pressure readout in real PSI. a "Low Tire" warning just means that the tire has 75% of the door sticker pressure, I'd prefer to know before that point.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote: "It has but I would not rely on it unless
you have an actual pressure readout in real PSI.
a "Low Tire" warning just means that the tire has 75%
of the door sticker pressure, I'd prefer to know before
that point. "

Lucky you! The TPMS on my car were calibrated to
-5psi below the maximum pressure on my TIRES(41psi).

My door sticker says 30psi all four, so even if I keep
them at 32psi, my tires are still 'underinflated' according
to some guv'mint gadget installed in them! So I
just drive around and ignore the light.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:

[...]

That depends on the car and the setup. Some notify when down as
little as 2.5 PSI for sure - possibly some less.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:

[...]

Hi,
It gives actual pressure reading(mine in KPa) 2008 Acura MDX. I have 2
sets of them for summer and winter tires. So far so good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:

[...]

It does my car displays in KPa unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 10:09 AM, rbowman wrote:
KenK wrote:

I had an interesting? thought. Why doesn't someone come out with a gauge
that you push against the side of the tire that measures the deflection?
Beats removing a cap and fooling with a fussy tire air pressure gauge. It
might need to be calibrated by the user with a regular gauge depending on
type of tire. I'd buy one (if it didn't cost an arm and a leg).

What do you think?

I think it would be difficult to calibrate and have a cost considerably
higher than a $2.95 Slime pencil type tire gauge. I picked the Slime brand
because a review in a motorcycle magazine, where people tend to be less
casual about tire pressures, found it as good as any and better than most,
including the upscale digital models.

A decade or more ago I was in a store. They had
tire pressure gauges, and for a dollar more,
Radial tire pressure gauges.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:

[...]

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

For two dollars more, you could probably get a left-handed tire pressure gauge.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:

For two dollars more, you could probably get a left-handed tire pressure
gauge.

You only needed those for the older Chrysler products with the left handed
lug nuts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote in
:

KenK wrote:

[...]

That radial air keeps twisting around and is much harder to measure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 12:46 PM, KenK wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote in
:

KenK wrote:

[...]

But people with nitrogen filled tires need a nitrogen gauge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 12:51 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 12/12/2014 12:46 PM, KenK wrote:
A decade or more ago I was in a store. They had
tire pressure gauges, and for a dollar more,
Radial tire pressure gauges.

That radial air keeps twisting around and is much harder to measure.

But people with nitrogen filled tires need a nitrogen gauge.

I expect a coupon in the mail, one day soon.
Harbor Freight will have a 20% off sale on
left handed nitrogen filled radial tire
gauges which measure tire side wall deflection.
Comes with first set of batteries.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK:

The deflection of the tire sidewall is not the most accurate indicator of proper/over/underinflation.

Semi-OT: Has anyone seen that TV commercial where viewers are given 3 choices as to how much oil could be saved if everyone in America kept their tires properly inflated? I believe the correct answer was in the billions of gallons. Sobering!
Posted to alt.home.repair

my 2014 Toyota Avalon
has some sort of automatic low tire pressure check

I wonder how this technology works...

marc