Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N[_2_] N8N[_2_] is offline

Default Tire pressure

On Friday, December 12, 2014 at 10:16:43 AM UTC-5, philo* wrote:
On 12/12/2014 09:09 AM, rbowman wrote:
KenK wrote:

I had an interesting? thought. Why doesn't someone come out with a gauge
that you push against the side of the tire that measures the deflection?
Beats removing a cap and fooling with a fussy tire air pressure gauge. It
might need to be calibrated by the user with a regular gauge depending on
type of tire. I'd buy one (if it didn't cost an arm and a leg).

What do you think?

I think it would be difficult to calibrate and have a cost considerably
higher than a $2.95 Slime pencil type tire gauge. I picked the Slime brand
because a review in a motorcycle magazine, where people tend to be less
casual about tire pressures, found it as good as any and better than most,
including the upscale digital models.

The industry is one step ahead of that.

A friend of mine bought a /used/ car and it has built-in tire pressure
sensors. She got a warning when one of the tires was low.

Since the car was used, that means the technology must have been around
for a while now.

It has but I would not rely on it unless you have an actual pressure readout in real PSI. a "Low Tire" warning just means that the tire has 75% of the door sticker pressure, I'd prefer to know before that point.

nate