Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning Cat5/RJ45 Connectors?

I've got a few IP cameras down at the New Jersey shore where they are
subject to the typical marine environment.

Even the indoor connections are eventually affected.

Been using some stuff from Radio Shack (two cans: "DeOxit DN5" to clean
and "DeOxit GN5" to condition/protect after cleaning).

I use it on the RJ45 plugs and the RJ45 receptacles - which are
sometimes visibly blackened by the time a problem surfaces.

It works, but the cans are very small (14g net) and the stuff's not
cheap.

Anybody got an alternative that comes in larger containers?
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
I've got a few IP cameras down at the New Jersey shore where they are
subject to the typical marine environment.

Even the indoor connections are eventually affected.

Been using some stuff from Radio Shack (two cans: "DeOxit DN5" to clean
and "DeOxit GN5" to condition/protect after cleaning).

I use it on the RJ45 plugs and the RJ45 receptacles - which are
sometimes visibly blackened by the time a problem surfaces.

It works, but the cans are very small (14g net) and the stuff's not
cheap.

Anybody got an alternative that comes in larger containers?
--
Pete Cresswell

You could replace it with equipment that wont rust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Dec 2014 08:33:03 -0800, "Oren" wrote:

You could replace it with equipment that wont rust.

You could stop being an asshole:

From: "Oren"
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Cleaning Cat5/RJ45 Connectors?
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2014 08:33:03 -0800

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 11:27:01 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

I've got a few IP cameras down at the New Jersey shore where they are
subject to the typical marine environment.

Even the indoor connections are eventually affected.

Been using some stuff from Radio Shack (two cans: "DeOxit DN5" to clean
and "DeOxit GN5" to condition/protect after cleaning).

I use it on the RJ45 plugs and the RJ45 receptacles - which are
sometimes visibly blackened by the time a problem surfaces.

It works, but the cans are very small (14g net) and the stuff's not
cheap.

Anybody got an alternative that comes in larger containers?

Synco Super-Lube after using the de-oxit DN5.
Buy a tub for about $12
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per :
Synco Super-Lube after using the de-oxit DN5.
Buy a tub for about $12

From the Synco Site
(
http://www.super-lube.com/where-to-u...ezp-160.html):

"Can Super LubeŽ be used as a dielectric grease?
Yes, Super LubeŽ has good electrical insulating properties and will
protect electrical and electronic equipment. Synco also offers a
Silicone Dielectric Grease version of Super LubeŽ."

I guess I don't understand "Dielectric Grease". If it has "good
electrical insulating properties", wouldn't it have the opposite of the
desired (good conductivity) effect if applied to the mating
electrical-connector surfaces? Seems like I'd want something with good
electrical conductivity properties instead...

I know that's way off-base, but can somebody explain why.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 15:18:27 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per :
Synco Super-Lube after using the de-oxit DN5.
Buy a tub for about $12

From the Synco Site
(
http://www.super-lube.com/where-to-u...ezp-160.html):

"Can Super LubeŽ be used as a dielectric grease?
Yes, Super LubeŽ has good electrical insulating properties and will
protect electrical and electronic equipment. Synco also offers a
Silicone Dielectric Grease version of Super LubeŽ."

I guess I don't understand "Dielectric Grease". If it has "good
electrical insulating properties", wouldn't it have the opposite of the
desired (good conductivity) effect if applied to the mating
electrical-connector surfaces? Seems like I'd want something with good
electrical conductivity properties instead...

I know that's way off-base, but can somebody explain why.

The connectors make good electrical contact all by themselves until
the corrosion starts. You want something that keeps the moist air out
with having any effect on the circuit. If the grease was conductive,
it would let current flow between adjacent contacts and cause
problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-12-07, Pat wrote:

The connectors make good electrical contact all by themselves until
the corrosion starts. You want something that keeps the moist air out
with having any effect on the circuit. If the grease was conductive,
it would let current flow between adjacent contacts and cause
problems.

For once, WD40 is perfect for this type of application. The WD stands
for water displacement and WD40 is good for removing water from
contacts. I used some WD40 when my phone wire union got wet and I
lost POTS connectivity. A couple blasts of WD40 on the rain soaded
connectors/contacts and I was in business, again.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2014 12:04 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 7 Dec 2014 08:33:03 -0800, "Oren" wrote:

You could replace it with equipment that wont rust.

You could stop being an asshole:

You know, that might have been a poorly
worded, but serious answer. It is possible
they make gold plated connectors, which
are more tarnish resistant.

OP might also generously coat the fittings
with heavy grease, to repel water. I'm not
sure if marine grease, or lithium would work.

WD-40 the water displacer might make the fittings
last longer, but that WD dries out.

I wonder if dielectric grease would help? Advance
Auto has two ounce tubes, in with RTV and other
stuff in two ounce tubes. I use dielectric grease
for light bulb sockets, flash light end cap
threads, and other uses.

I'm going to continue to be an asshole (grin here).

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2014 2:53 PM, wrote:

Anybody got an alternative that comes in larger containers?

Synco Super-Lube after using the de-oxit DN5.
Buy a tub for about $12

I had a look at the web
http://www.super-lube.com/synthetic-greases-ezp-44.html
They do have several products. Which did you
suggest, and perhaps send us a more specific
URL, please.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-12-07, Pat wrote:

The connectors make good electrical contact all by themselves until
the corrosion starts. You want something that keeps the moist air out
with having any effect on the circuit. If the grease was conductive,
it would let current flow between adjacent contacts and cause
problems.

For once, WD40 is perfect for this type of application. The WD stands
for water displacement and WD40 is good for removing water from
contacts. I used some WD40 when my phone wire union got wet and I
lost POTS connectivity. A couple blasts of WD40 on the rain soaded
connectors/contacts and I was in business, again.

nb

In the dial up modem days, I found dust in the contacts. Caused static
on the lines - modem would drop. Blasted the RJ45 and wire end with
compressed air from a can.

Duct Tape ... band-aids

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2014 3:18 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
(http://www.super-lube.com/where-to-u...ezp-160.html):

"Can Super LubeŽ be used as a dielectric grease?
Yes, Super LubeŽ has good electrical insulating properties and will
protect electrical and electronic equipment. Synco also offers a
Silicone Dielectric Grease version of Super LubeŽ."

I guess I don't understand "Dielectric Grease". If it has "good
electrical insulating properties", wouldn't it have the opposite of the
desired (good conductivity) effect if applied to the mating
electrical-connector surfaces? Seems like I'd want something with good
electrical conductivity properties instead...

I know that's way off-base, but can somebody explain why.

When you dose up threads, the metal to metal
conducts just fine. The grease fills the air
spaces, and helps keep water out.

However, if there is some grease trail between
connector A and connector B, you'd not want
power to leak from one to the other.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've got a few IP cameras down at the New Jersey shore where they are
subject to the typical marine environment.

You're the second person to mention salt water on this group lately.

Years ago I visited a non-close friend who lived near the Mediterranean,
and he took me sailing on his boat. Very nice of him, and I thanked
him a lot.

I wrapped my new digital camera in a plastic bag and wouldnt' take it
out of the bag, until we got in the car and went inland, I couldnt' tell
how far. Later I realized he was annoyed that I hadn't taken pictures
on the boat, with him iirc wearing his captain's hat.

I told him I was afraid of the salt sea air, but he denied it did
damage, or much damage, I forget. It's so good to know the two of
you think or even know that it does.

I used to have a seawater aquarium, and I'd find lots of salt on the
outside of the walls, all the way down to the table, and on the table.
I should have mentioned that to him. He died a few years ago.

Even the indoor connections are eventually affected.

Been using some stuff from Radio Shack (two cans: "DeOxit DN5" to clean
and "DeOxit GN5" to condition/protect after cleaning).

I use one of those, probably the first.

I use it on the RJ45 plugs and the RJ45 receptacles - which are
sometimes visibly blackened by the time a problem surfaces.

It works, but the cans are very small (14g net) and the stuff's not
cheap.

Anybody got an alternative that comes in larger containers?

Have you tried mouser.com or dot something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 17:00:34 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 12/7/2014 12:04 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 7 Dec 2014 08:33:03 -0800, "Oren" wrote:

You could replace it with equipment that wont rust.

You could stop being an asshole:

He could try, but he'd proably fail.

You know, that might have been a poorly
worded, but serious answer. It is possible

You missed the point. It doesn't matter -- he forged Oren's name.

they make gold plated connectors, which
are more tarnish resistant.

OP might also generously coat the fittings
with heavy grease, to repel water. I'm not
sure if marine grease, or lithium would work.

WD-40 the water displacer might make the fittings
last longer, but that WD dries out.

I wonder if dielectric grease would help? Advance
Auto has two ounce tubes, in with RTV and other
stuff in two ounce tubes. I use dielectric grease
for light bulb sockets, flash light end cap
threads, and other uses.

I'm going to continue to be an asshole (grin here).

-
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Stormin Mormon:
When you dose up threads, the metal to metal
conducts just fine. The grease fills the air
spaces, and helps keep water out.

However, if there is some grease trail between
connector A and connector B, you'd not want
power to leak from one to the other.

Thanks. Took awhile to soak: where metal touches metal, the grease is
out of the picture. OTOH, the rest of the time I want no conductivity.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 15:18:27 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per :
Synco Super-Lube after using the de-oxit DN5.
Buy a tub for about $12

From the Synco Site
(
http://www.super-lube.com/where-to-u...ezp-160.html):

"Can Super LubeŽ be used as a dielectric grease?
Yes, Super LubeŽ has good electrical insulating properties and will
protect electrical and electronic equipment. Synco also offers a
Silicone Dielectric Grease version of Super LubeŽ."

I guess I don't understand "Dielectric Grease". If it has "good
electrical insulating properties", wouldn't it have the opposite of the
desired (good conductivity) effect if applied to the mating
electrical-connector surfaces? Seems like I'd want something with good
electrical conductivity properties instead...

I know that's way off-base, but can somebody explain why.

In a thick film it is a good insulator. It has very little film
strength though, so when the fine wires of the RJ45 jack wipe the pins
on the RJ45 plug, they make physical contact - with oxygen and
moisture locked out. Using anything conductive would load or short the
line (conduct between wires). The stuff works good for light sockets,
spark plug boots,electrical connectors - anything you want to protect
from the elements. And it doesn't wash off. It doesn't attack rubber.
It doesn't damage paint, and it doesn't dry out and turn to stone.

It's also a VERY good lubricant for anthing you need to lube and
doesn't stain - and it's food grade - non poisonous and all that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-12-07, Pat wrote:

The connectors make good electrical contact all by themselves until
the corrosion starts. You want something that keeps the moist air out
with having any effect on the circuit. If the grease was conductive,
it would let current flow between adjacent contacts and cause
problems.

For once, WD40 is perfect for this type of application. The WD stands
for water displacement and WD40 is good for removing water from
contacts. I used some WD40 when my phone wire union got wet and I
lost POTS connectivity. A couple blasts of WD40 on the rain soaded
connectors/contacts and I was in business, again.

nb

The only problem is it dries up and doesnt protect the connections
from getting wet again, and doesn't keep salt out, and basically
doesn't do much of anything other than chase water away. It might help
get rid of some corrosion as a cleaner - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 17:02:55 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 12/7/2014 2:53 PM, wrote:

Anybody got an alternative that comes in larger containers?

Synco Super-Lube after using the de-oxit DN5.
Buy a tub for about $12

I had a look at the web
http://www.super-lube.com/synthetic-greases-ezp-44.html
They do have several products. Which did you
suggest, and perhaps send us a more specific
URL, please.

The pot I've been dipping into for the last 10 or more years is their
#4160 400 gram multipurpose grease with PTFE.

Their 91016 dialectric grease may be better as a dialectric, but not
nearly as good as a lubricant.

I used to also have a can of their 31110, which is the multi in a
spray. For that use I'm now using Fluid Film.

Their syncopen product is supposed to be pretty good too, but I've
never tried it. It is used as penetrating oil in food production
lines.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
I've got a few IP cameras down at the New Jersey shore where they are
subject to the typical marine environment.

Even the indoor connections are eventually affected.

Been using some stuff from Radio Shack (two cans: "DeOxit DN5" to clean
and "DeOxit GN5" to condition/protect after cleaning).

I use it on the RJ45 plugs and the RJ45 receptacles - which are
sometimes visibly blackened by the time a problem surfaces.

It works, but the cans are very small (14g net) and the stuff's not
cheap.

Anybody got an alternative that comes in larger containers?

You can use the dn5 in the full strength container, and mix it with alcohol
as a drip on fluid.
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1...2&category=188
deoxit is a 5% mixture of the red stuff.

Actually, WD -40 works better as a cleaner.

I'm not sure If silicon grease is the best for water control. I think some
car recepticals come with it, or marine connections.

CRC 2-26 is pretty good as a do all. You can find it in the big can.

LPS-3 might work as a sealer.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
[...]

Says good for outdoor electrical connections.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/lps_rust.php

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 17:04:55 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

[...]

Well put. I don't think I ever got it before.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2014 1:07 AM, micky wrote:
On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 17:04:55 -0500, Stormin Mormon
When you dose up threads, the metal to metal
conducts just fine. The grease fills the air
spaces, and helps keep water out.

However, if there is some grease trail between
connector A and connector B, you'd not want
power to leak from one to the other.

Well put. I don't think I ever got it before.

Some times, the light bulb goes on....

I've had bad experiences with Ox-Gard or
No-Al-Ox, the grey stuff meant for coating
aluminum wires in panel boxes. Seems to be
a bit agressive, and has eaten away terminals.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 08 Dec 2014 06:43:55 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 12/8/2014 1:07 AM, micky wrote:
On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 17:04:55 -0500, Stormin Mormon
When you dose up threads, the metal to metal
conducts just fine. The grease fills the air
spaces, and helps keep water out.

However, if there is some grease trail between
connector A and connector B, you'd not want
power to leak from one to the other.

Well put. I don't think I ever got it before.

Some times, the light bulb goes on....

I've had bad experiences with Ox-Gard or
No-Al-Ox, the grey stuff meant for coating
aluminum wires in panel boxes. Seems to be
a bit agressive, and has eaten away terminals.

Maybe it was just hungry. You're supposed to feed it once before you
use it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2014 12:38 AM, micky wrote:
On Mon, 08 Dec 2014 06:43:55 -0500, Stormin Mormon
I've had bad experiences with Ox-Gard or
No-Al-Ox, the grey stuff meant for coating
aluminum wires in panel boxes. Seems to be
a bit agressive, and has eaten away terminals.

Maybe it was just hungry. You're supposed to feed it once before you
use it.

Where do I get petfood for a no alligator ox?

Is this some kind of yoke? I tell yokes
all the team.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning Cat5/RJ45 Connectors? Lube it up

posted for all of us...

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 15:18:27 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per
:
Synco Super-Lube after using the de-oxit DN5.
Buy a tub for about $12

From the Synco Site
(
[...]

Sounds like the perfect replacement for KY. Does it come in flavors and
scented? Any personal experience of this aspect? (g)

--
Tekkie

Is this how you wire the RJ45 female wall mount connectors? Chuck Banshee Home Repair 20 October 18th 14 06:44 PM
break in cat5 [email protected] UK diy 8 October 24th 10 09:44 PM
cat5 Jack Pt. 2 Ray Home Repair 6 June 14th 05 04:13 AM
Video over CAT5? Alan UK diy 23 December 12th 04 09:50 PM
A CAT5 question Dave Plowman UK diy 13 May 12th 04 11:54 AM