Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default Cleaning Cat5/RJ45 Connectors? Lube it up

posted for all of us...

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 15:18:27 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per
:
Synco Super-Lube after using the de-oxit DN5.
Buy a tub for about $12

From the Synco Site
(
http://www.super-lube.com/where-to-u...ezp-160.html):

"Can Super Lube® be used as a dielectric grease?
Yes, Super Lube® has good electrical insulating properties and will
protect electrical and electronic equipment. Synco also offers a
Silicone Dielectric Grease version of Super Lube®."

I guess I don't understand "Dielectric Grease". If it has "good
electrical insulating properties", wouldn't it have the opposite of the
desired (good conductivity) effect if applied to the mating
electrical-connector surfaces? Seems like I'd want something with good
electrical conductivity properties instead...

I know that's way off-base, but can somebody explain why.

In a thick film it is a good insulator. It has very little film
strength though, so when the fine wires of the RJ45 jack wipe the pins
on the RJ45 plug, they make physical contact - with oxygen and
moisture locked out. Using anything conductive would load or short the
line (conduct between wires). The stuff works good for light sockets,
spark plug boots,electrical connectors - anything you want to protect
from the elements. And it doesn't wash off. It doesn't attack rubber.
It doesn't damage paint, and it doesn't dry out and turn to stone.

It's also a VERY good lubricant for anthing you need to lube and
doesn't stain - and it's food grade - non poisonous and all that.

Sounds like the perfect replacement for KY. Does it come in flavors and
scented? Any personal experience of this aspect? (g)

--
Tekkie