Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Target, home depot card security:(

I have now had 5 cards wiped out because stores dont bother keeping their systems secure

I think congress should pass some consumer protection laws, to penalize merchants who have data breaches

Require the merchant to pay 100% of the costs to replace every card, plus give the consumer 100 bucks a pop for the inconvenience....

I espically hate all the pre authorized transactions like ez pass. I just got the target mess fixed and now I have to start all over again...

of course congress, espically the republicans could care less about the common person. Their only concerns are getting more bucks to run for reelection from big business.

I am sick and tired of spending days straitening out hassles like this
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message
I have now had 5 cards wiped out because stores dont bother keeping their
systems secure

I think congress should pass some consumer protection laws, to penalize
merchants who have data breaches

Require the merchant to pay 100% of the costs to replace every card, plus
give the consumer 100 bucks a pop for the inconvenience....

I espically hate all the pre authorized transactions like ez pass. I just
got the target mess fixed and now I have to start all over again...

of course congress, espically the republicans could care less about the
common person. Their only concerns are getting more bucks to run for
reelection from big business.

I am sick and tired of spending days straitening out hassles like this

yep. If only those damn democrats gave a damn about us.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pico Rico" wrote in message

"bob haller" wrote in message
I have now had 5 cards wiped out because stores dont bother keeping their
systems secure

I think congress should pass some consumer protection laws, to penalize
merchants who have data breaches

Require the merchant to pay 100% of the costs to replace every card, plus
give the consumer 100 bucks a pop for the inconvenience....

I espically hate all the pre authorized transactions like ez pass. I just
got the target mess fixed and now I have to start all over again...

of course congress, espically the republicans could care less about the
common person. Their only concerns are getting more bucks to run for
reelection from big business.

I am sick and tired of spending days straitening out hassles like this

yep. If only those damn democrats gave a damn about us.

by the way, I see more chipped cards these days. That is supposed to help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 20:16:31 -0700, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

"bob haller" wrote in message
I have now had 5 cards wiped out because stores dont bother keeping their
systems secure

I think congress should pass some consumer protection laws, to penalize
merchants who have data breaches

Require the merchant to pay 100% of the costs to replace every card, plus
give the consumer 100 bucks a pop for the inconvenience....

I espically hate all the pre authorized transactions like ez pass. I just
got the target mess fixed and now I have to start all over again...

of course congress, espically the republicans could care less about the
common person. Their only concerns are getting more bucks to run for
reelection from big business.

I am sick and tired of spending days straitening out hassles like this

yep. If only those damn democrats gave a damn about us.

Pico,

How can you be that clinical? Whenever they're campaigning the libs
always say they care about us. Are you telling me they're lying? I'm
beginning to lose all faith in humanity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 20:03:45 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

I have now had 5 cards wiped out because stores dont bother keeping their systems secure

They do bother. The problem is humanity. There will always be
thieves. The fact is, if a human devises a security plan, no matter
how good it is, another human will find a way to break it. No matter
how smart and clever you are, there is always someone smarter and more
clever than you.

It will happen again no matter how strong the security seems to be.

You can be sure that as you read this, some hacker is trying to be to
your bank or retailers you shop at. It will never stop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2014 11:16 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
"bob haller" wrote in message
of course congress, espically the republicans could care less about the
common person. Their only concerns are getting more bucks to run for
reelection from big business.

I am sick and tired of spending days straitening out hassles like this

yep. If only those damn democrats gave a damn about us.

Our Democrat in Chief has been displaying his true
side, with the Behghazi coverup (our boys died) and
the Sgt. T in Mexican prison, and o doesn't do much
about it. How about the Latte salute?

Ever heard of paying cash?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2014 11:19 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

by the way, I see more chipped cards these days. That is supposed to help.

I do hope you are joking?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLAFhTjsQHw

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2014 11:44 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 20:16:31 -0700, "Pico Rico"
I am sick and tired of spending days straitening out hassles like this

yep. If only those damn democrats gave a damn about us.

Pico,

How can you be that clinical? Whenever they're campaigning the libs
always say they care about us. Are you telling me they're lying? I'm
beginning to lose all faith in humanity.

I've lost confidence in both sides. The Libs propose
legislation, the Reps bluff and bluster for a few
weeks, and sure enough it passes. Two sides of one
coin.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have now had 5 cards wiped out because stores dont bother keeping their systems secure

They do bother. The problem is humanity. There will always be
thieves. The fact is, if a human devises a security plan, no matter
how good it is, another human will find a way to break it. No matter
how smart and clever you are, there is always someone smarter and more
clever than you.

It will happen again no matter how strong the security seems to be.

You can be sure that as you read this, some hacker is trying to be to
your bank or retailers you shop at. It will never stop.

Ever heard of "pay cash"?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 25, 2014 7:53:40 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/24/2014 11:44 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 20:16:31 -0700, "Pico Rico"

I am sick and tired of spending days straitening out hassles like this

yep. If only those damn democrats gave a damn about us.

Pico,

How can you be that clinical? Whenever they're campaigning the libs

always say they care about us. Are you telling me they're lying? I'm

beginning to lose all faith in humanity.

I've lost confidence in both sides. The Libs propose

legislation, the Reps bluff and bluster for a few

weeks, and sure enough it passes. Two sides of one

coin.

You make it sound like the Republicans are passing most of what
the Democrats want. In fact, compared to previous Congresses, very
little is being passed. Not that I'm complaining. It's just that if the
Republicans were doing what you say, it would, IMO, be a whole lot worse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 9/24/2014 11:19 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

by the way, I see more chipped cards these days. That is supposed to
help.

I do hope you are joking?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLAFhTjsQHw

I wasn't referring to RFID, which is so incredibly stupid on a credit card.
How hard is it to actually swipe the card instead of waving it?

I was referring to Chip and PIN cards:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomgroen...ng-to-the-u-s/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2014 6:52 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/24/2014 11:19 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

by the way, I see more chipped cards these days. That is supposed to
help.

I do hope you are joking?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLAFhTjsQHw

Not so fast... He never said WHO it was supposed to help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2014 8:12 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, September 25, 2014 7:53:40 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've lost confidence in both sides. The Libs propose
legislation, the Reps bluff and bluster for a few
weeks, and sure enough it passes. Two sides of one
coin.

You make it sound like the Republicans are passing most of what
the Democrats want. In fact, compared to previous Congresses, very
little is being passed. Not that I'm complaining. It's just that if the
Republicans were doing what you say, it would, IMO, be a whole lot worse.

I'll admit, I don't follow the specifics.
Just the general feel I get from listening
to radio.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message

of course congress, espically the republicans could care less about the
common person. Their only concerns are getting more bucks to run for
reelection from big business.

RIGHT! Democrats don't need to do that because they've already stolen
enough to fund their campaigns. Their main impetus is tossing the Great
Unwashed a few crumbs so the GU will continue to vote for them so they can
steal more.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

On 9/24/2014 11:19 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

by the way, I see more chipped cards these days. That is supposed to
help.

I do hope you are joking?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLAFhTjsQHw

I think you may be missing the big picture here. Consider...

Now, with non RFID card. Bad guy sticks a gun in your face, demands you
go to an automatic teller, withdraw money and give it to him and if you
don't he is going to inflict serious harm on you.

Now, WITH RFID card. Bad guy steals code, makes a card, goes to automatic
teller and withdraws money ALL AT NO RISK TO YOU!

IOW, the good credit card folks are working hard to keep us safe.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

|I have now had 5 cards wiped out because stores dont bother keeping their
systems secure

I'm a contractor, shopping at HD at least once a week,
but I didn't know how seriously to take the latest breach.
It's been going on since Spring and I haven't had any
problems.

I'm curious what you've done. Did you have your cards
reissued? Is there a cost for that? Do you just call them
and say you've shopped at HD, and they'll sens you a card
with a new number?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 25, 2014 9:48:55 AM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:
|I have now had 5 cards wiped out because stores dont bother keeping their

systems secure

I'm a contractor, shopping at HD at least once a week,

but I didn't know how seriously to take the latest breach.

It's been going on since Spring and I haven't had any

problems.

Couple nights ago on the news they said that the first instances of
the stolen card info being used had just started to occur. Last week
they were showing it being offered in traunches on a website in Russia.
The trauches you could buy were named "American Sanctions 10, 11, 12, etc.
Gives you a good idea of who and what is behind it.

An interesting question is why the card issuers don't just send out
new cards. I can only speculate that they figure that will cost more
than all the time and money spent investigating and covering losses that
occur. But I would think it would be more cost effective to just issue
new cards. Maybe they are doing that, IDK. And unlike Bob, I don't
think it's such a big deal if they
issue me a new card. The only issue I see is having to change any online
places where you have it saved, use it for recurring charges, etc. Not
that much work, IMO.

I'm curious what you've done. Did you have your cards

reissued? Is there a cost for that? Do you just call them

and say you've shopped at HD, and they'll sens you a card

with a new number?

Posted to alt.home.repair

| I have now had 5 cards wiped out because stores dont bother keeping their
systems secure

| They do bother.

Not necessarily:
http://www.businessweek.com/articles...cked-wide-open

I've also seen articles critical of Target's security. The
problem seems to be that they just don't have a lot to
lose, and like most individuals, they see security issues
as abstract until a problem happens.

I don't know of any reason they even need to store
credit card data. Once the payment has gone through
it's none of their concern. Which points to a second
unnecessary security risk: companies that hold data
they shouldn't for purposes of datamining.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here's another one:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014...employees-say/

This wasn't just a successful hack. It was an fullscale
intrusion that wasn't noticed for 6 months.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/25/2014 09:59 AM, trader_4 wrote:

An interesting question is why the card issuers don't just send out
new cards. I can only speculate that they figure that will cost more
than all the time and money spent investigating and covering losses that
occur. But I would think it would be more cost effective to just issue
new cards. Maybe they are doing that, IDK. And unlike Bob, I don't
think it's such a big deal if they
issue me a new card. The only issue I see is having to change any online
places where you have it saved, use it for recurring charges, etc. Not
that much work, IMO.

I'm curious what you've done. Did you have your cards

reissued? Is there a cost for that? Do you just call them

and say you've shopped at HD, and they'll sens you a card

with a new number?

We had new cards issued -- free of charge -- more than a decade ago by a
bank when we showed that purchases made supposedly with our card were
made at places where we were not at the time.

We had new cards issued more recently because we had used a card at
TJMaxx, which had suffered a data breach. Replacement cards were sent
without us requesting them -- and free of charge.

Haven't shopped at Target in ages.

Have shopped at HD within the last couple of months but haven't seen any
suspicious charges on our card.

We got "chipped" cards in preparation for a trip to Europe. I don't know
how much more complicated it would have been to make purchases with a
card without a chip.

We have a store-branded RFID-equipped MasterCard for our supermarket,
but that's the only place I've ever noticed that an RFID card can be used.

I read recently that Australia is on the way to "contactless" payments
-- payments using a smartphone rather than a card, for example.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 08:23:18 -0700, Percival P. Cassidy
wrote:

....snip....

We have a store-branded RFID-equipped MasterCard for our supermarket,
but that's the only place I've ever noticed that an RFID card can be
used.

...snip....

and you keep your RFID card where? oh, so you DO put it in an old Altoid
metal box so it can't be scanned by others. ok.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| and you keep your RFID card where? oh, so you DO put it in an old Altoid
| metal box so it can't be scanned by others. ok.

I have one RFID charge card that I never asked for.
There's an icon on the back that indicates it. One
can then look at the card on edge to find a tiny bump.
I sliced open the bump and removed the tiny RFID chip,
with no noticeable damage to the card.

One can also use something like an aluminum cover.
I made a simple one by folding a piece of aluminum in
half, so that it fits in my wallet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have now had 5 cards wiped out because stores dont bother keeping their systems secure

Find me a secure computer system - only way is to pull the power cord
out of the wall.

I think congress should pass some consumer protection laws, to penalize merchants who have data breaches

Who will penalize government - Oballah can't account for billions for
his Heath Care government site. No idea where the money was spent.

Require the merchant to pay 100% of the costs to replace every card, plus give the consumer 100 bucks a pop for the inconvenience....

What you really mean is you prefer more and more government in your
life to kill free markets. Only centralized government is the cure -
bull****. Have some more Kook-Aid.

I espically hate all the pre authorized transactions like ez pass. I just got the target mess fixed and now I have to start all over again...

Put your cards in a container of water and place it in the freezer.
Think twice before you use them.

of course congress, espically the republicans could care less about the common person. Their only concerns are getting more bucks to run for reelection from big business.

That's a lie. Democrats have raised more money this election than
Republicans.

I am sick and tired of spending days straitening out hassles like this

LOL... Move to Austin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If only those damn democrats gave a damn about us.

Well, they have spent 22 Trillion of the War on Poverty over 50 years
and have lost that war.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 22:44:33 -0500, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

. Are you telling me they're lying? I'm
beginning to lose all faith in humanity.

They can be cured. They need to see a psychiatrist for the proper
diagnosis.
--
"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up."
-- Lily Tomlin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 09:48:55 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

I'm a contractor, shopping at HD at least once a week,
but I didn't know how seriously to take the latest breach.
It's been going on since Spring and I haven't had any
problems.

One report was that the HD breach took place on cards used at the self
check out machines.

I don't use those aisles, myself.
--
"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up."
-- Lily Tomlin
Posted to alt.home.repair

| One report was that the HD breach took place on cards used at the self
| check out machines.
|
| I don't use those aisles, myself.

Nor I. I'd be interested to see a link for that if you
find it. I was assuming that the break was into the
main database.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 13:21:13 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| One report was that the HD breach took place on cards used at the self
| check out machines.
|
| I don't use those aisles, myself.

Nor I. I'd be interested to see a link for that if you
find it. I was assuming that the break was into the
main database.

There are slippery words: "maybe", "could be".

https://tinyurl.com/o3v3dc4

Maybe dig further at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. I can't get to
it at Business Insider by the link.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-09-25, Pico Rico wrote:
by the way, I see more chipped cards these days. That is supposed to help.

Better yet, pay in cash. That's what I do for just about everything
purchased locally.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

| One report was that the HD breach took place on cards used at the self
| check out machines.
|
| I don't use those aisles, myself.

Nor I. I'd be interested to see a link for that if you
find it. I was assuming that the break was into the
main database.

There are slippery words: "maybe", "could be".

https://tinyurl.com/o3v3dc4

Maybe dig further at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. I can't get to
it at Business Insider by the link.

Here. I got to it another way

http://www.businessinsider.com/home-depot-breach-may-be-limited-to-self-checkout-lanes-2014-9

"Sources now tell KrebsOnSecurity that in a conference call with
financial institutions today, officials at MasterCard shared several
updates from the ongoing forensic investigation into the breach at the
nationwide home improvement store chain. The card brand reportedly
told banks that at this time it is believed that only self-checkout
terminals were impacted in the breach, but stressed that the
investigation is far from complete."

Hope the links works for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am sick and tired of spending days straitening out
hassles like
this

LOL... Move to Austin.

**** THAT!!!!! We have enough californicators and yankee
MOFO here in Tejas.
I'd like them to stay where the **** they already are

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.businessinsider.com/home-depot-breach-may-be-limited-to-self-checkout-lanes-2014-9

| "Sources now tell KrebsOnSecurity that in a conference call with
| financial institutions today, officials at MasterCard shared several
| updates from the ongoing forensic investigation into the breach at the
| nationwide home improvement store chain. The card brand reportedly
| told banks that at this time it is believed that only self-checkout
| terminals were impacted in the breach, but stressed that the
| investigation is far from complete."
|
| Hope the links works for you.

That works. Thanks. I'll keep an eye on the news.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am sick and tired of spending days straitening out
hassles like
this

LOL... Move to Austin.

**** THAT!!!!! We have enough californicators and yankee
MOFO here in Tejas.
I'd like them to stay where the **** they already are

But wait. You only have one county in the Blue. Ya'll beat Mexicans to
become your own country. Are you saying one county is in charge

I'm doing my best to keep them *******s out of Nevada.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Oren belched:

wrote:

I am sick and tired of spending days straitening out
hassles like
this

LOL... Move to Austin.

**** THAT!!!!! We have enough californicators and yankee
MOFO here in Tejas.
I'd like them to stay where the **** they already are

But wait. You only have one county in the Blue. Ya'll beat Mexicans to
become your own country. Are you saying one county is in charge

I'm doing my best to keep them *******s out of Nevada.

there's more than one, but the ones that are here are tryin to **** **** up,
but we're doin are best not to let it happen
http://www.lovingthe.com/photozjr/Te...-Counties.html
when is someone goin to "86" Reid? : )

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Mayayana" wrote:

| One report was that the HD breach took place on cards used at the self
| check out machines.
|
| I don't use those aisles, myself.

Nor I. I'd be interested to see a link for that if you
find it. I was assuming that the break was into the
main database.

FWIW, I remember a story that said the kiosks were the culprit.
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/25/2014 11:43 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

....snip....

We have a store-branded RFID-equipped MasterCard for our supermarket,
but that's the only place I've ever noticed that an RFID card can be
used.

...snip....

and you keep your RFID card where? oh, so you DO put it in an old Altoid
metal box so it can't be scanned by others. ok.

I just read that the range is 2 to 4 inches. I know that I have to hold
the card pretty close to the terminal for it to register.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 14:32:41 -0500, "ChairMan"
wrote:

when is someone goin to "86" Reid? : )

November. He gets a seat in the back row as a minority. Just watch.
Though I will admit there are too many democrats in my town so I could
be wrong. Our Republican governor has brought us out of the dump.

I do not think I am wrong this time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2014 7:54 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ever heard of "pay cash"?

That would be unfair to banks. They deserve 3% of all your purchases.
If I pay cash for something I mark it down and at the end of the week
send 3% to Citi Bank or Chase.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2014 8:49 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/25/2014 7:54 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ever heard of "pay cash"?

That would be unfair to banks. They deserve 3% of all your purchases.
If I pay cash for something I mark it down and at the end of the week
send 3% to Citi Bank or Chase.

Three percent? I've only been sending two percent.
I'll have to total that up, and send a check before
they back a charge me.

--
..
Christopher A. Young