Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Target, home depot card security:(

On Thursday, September 25, 2014 9:48:55 AM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:
|I have now had 5 cards wiped out because stores dont bother keeping their

systems secure

I'm a contractor, shopping at HD at least once a week,

but I didn't know how seriously to take the latest breach.

It's been going on since Spring and I haven't had any

problems.

Couple nights ago on the news they said that the first instances of
the stolen card info being used had just started to occur. Last week
they were showing it being offered in traunches on a website in Russia.
The trauches you could buy were named "American Sanctions 10, 11, 12, etc.
Gives you a good idea of who and what is behind it.

An interesting question is why the card issuers don't just send out
new cards. I can only speculate that they figure that will cost more
than all the time and money spent investigating and covering losses that
occur. But I would think it would be more cost effective to just issue
new cards. Maybe they are doing that, IDK. And unlike Bob, I don't
think it's such a big deal if they
issue me a new card. The only issue I see is having to change any online
places where you have it saved, use it for recurring charges, etc. Not
that much work, IMO.

I'm curious what you've done. Did you have your cards

reissued? Is there a cost for that? Do you just call them

and say you've shopped at HD, and they'll sens you a card

with a new number?