Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Slow Leak

A few weeks back I posted that one of the pipes leading to the pool filter was leaking -- then I posted again and said, no - it wasn't leaking. I thought it was a mole that had caused the problem. The hole was not wet -- at least, it was only damp... Fast forward. I have a leak. There is a large plastic pipe - then a joint straight across - where the cholrinator is - then another plastic pipe. The chol. pipe is threaded...and dips in about 1/4 in. where it joins the regular plastic pipe (3 or 4" size) ... it is leaking where the chol. pipe joins the regular pipe. I consulted with my neighbors and they though caulking would stop it. I first put a layer of Dap tub and tile caulk on it -- let it dry (meaning I turned off the pump so the water wouldn't be passing through it). It still leaked a little - so I put another layer, this time window/door caulk - good for interiors and exteriors. I had these on hand. I did go to Lowe's and look. They had some "magic tape" ... but because of the "dip" I couldn't have gotten it in to cover the leak. I let the caulk sit overnight. Went back this morning and as soon as the pump came on it started dripping again...I have cleaned off all the caulk. It hadn't dried well - even in places where the water from the leak hadn't touched it - and it didn't rain on it.

If have to call a plumber it will be a major job. I no longer use that chol., I just use the kind that floats in the pool.

Anyone have a suggestion about what I can buy to seal this leak. It's just a small one at the seam where the chol.pipe joins the regular pipe.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 18, 2014 8:33:47 AM UTC-4, Dottie wrote:
[...]

I would have tried epoxy. Anything you try now, make sure you clean
all the caulk stuff off first, sandpaper probably. There is also a new
product that was on Shark Tank on TV, Fiberfix. It's a cloth, weave type
product together with a water activated glue. You wet it, wrap it and
it's strong and waterproof. I've never used it, but they have it at Lowes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/18/2014 8:33 AM, Dottie wrote:
[...]

As you're noticing, different plastics have
different repair techniques. I'd want to get
someone local (to you) and on scene to figure
out the answer. We'd mostly be guessing.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

I can't picture exactly what you're describing,
and I can't guess what "chol." means. Is that
supposed to be short for "chlorinator"? In any
case, if you can get two straight pieces of pipe
together you can use a rubber pipe clamp or
a piece of rubber with band clamps. (By straight
pieces I mean that you generally can't use a pipe
clamp on the female collar of a PVC pipe. You'd need
to cut that part off so that you have one diameter
to deal with.)

There are also reducing rubber clamps. They work
very well. It's basically just a thick black rubber
sleeve with two or more band clamps on it. You
can get them at HD. You can also get band clamps
and sheet rubber at HD.

If you can work with the existing joint you might
also be able to use pipe thread sealant. It's a
paste that goes on the threads before assembly.
There's a version that's OK for use with PVC.

A third option is a drying sealant to smear around
the threads if you can't open up the joint. The product
I'm thinking of is sort of dark red and gooey/sticky,
a bit like gasket liquid. It dries out and seals well. The
only trouble is that I haven't seen it around for awhile
and I don't know what the name of it is.

"Dottie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I went to Ace hardware and it was the opinion of two people who work with the plumbing supplies -- that the water pressure where the leak is, would prevent the caulk from working. I called a man we've used before to come by and look at it -- he does pool repairs. I think the Fiberfix is what I saw yesterday. The reason I didn't try it is -- there is a space between the cholorinator and the regular pipe....too small to get a piece of tape or anything down there ... but without covering it with something, the leak would continue. Thanks again for your help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
[...]

If the leaking joit is a threaded join, Undoing it and using fresh Pipe thread
dope or teflon tape is the way to fix it. If it's a glued PVC joint, you can
drain the water from it, and use a vacume cleaner attached to the pipe to create
a vacuum in the pipe. Then apply PVC glue where the leak is. The glue will be
drawn into the leak, and likely plug it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 09:15:51 -0700 (PDT), Dottie
wrote:

I went to Ace hardware and it was the opinion of two people who work with the plumbing supplies -- that the water pressure where the leak is, would prevent the caulk from working. I called a man we've used before to come by and look at it -- he does pool repairs.

Dottie,

Look into Plasto-Joint Stick Thread Sealant

http://www.amazon.com/Plasto-Joint-Thread-Sealant-1-25oz-11775/dp/B0030CT6V4

There is also another type, silicone, blue in color that is an
adhesive. The name escapes me at the moment, but a pool store that
does installs would be familiar with it. It seals threads, basically
the same way.

This assumes the leaks are at the threads of the chlorinator
connection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 06:05:00 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

There is also a new
product that was on Shark Tank on TV, Fiberfix. It's a cloth, weave type
product together with a water activated glue. You wet it, wrap it and
it's strong and waterproof. I've never used it, but they have it at Lowes.

I brought this up in another previous thread. Said to be 100x stronger
than Duct Tape.

Red Green called it, in one word, "Blasphemy" (G)

There is a Fiber Fix Youtube channel... with videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/fiberfixusa

A guy intentional cuts his main house water line. Wear protective
gloves, for sure. QVC sold out the fist time it was featured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Ci0kqAwZE

ISTR the cost is ~ $6 for 40 inches....
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I went to Ace hardware and it was the opinion of two people who work with t=
he plumbing supplies -- that the water pressure where the leak is, would pr=
event the caulk from working. I called a man we've used before to come by =
and look at it -- he does pool repairs.

So he hasn't come by yet?

If not, Trader's product sounds pretty good.

If you can't get that, or if some other reason precludes it, what you
need is PC-11. It's not just epoxy, it 's the right epoxy. Well
that's if the pipes are white. If they are black, use PC-7, which is
dark grey. PC-11 is white. And though you should turn the water off
like you did before, and scrape off the caulk you put on since it must
not have worked --- and though it will stick even to glass, you should
use some medium or coarse sandpaper to rough up the plastic pipes -- it
will stick to anything (unless you coat it with vaseline or something
similar first). It will go on a leaking drain pipe while the faucet is
running slowly and the pipe is leaking and it will still dry waterproof.
That time I had to keep pushing the stuff back where it was supposed to
be. The dripping water made it fall down some. After a while I could
feel it hardening. But when it's not leaking you won't have to keep
pushing the stuff back in place, because the water won't be pushing it
away.

Run a ring of it all the way around the pipe** and at least 1/2 inch
away from the leak down the pipe, and in the other direction too. .

**That will take the place of wrapping with cloth.

Follow the instructions carefully. I used to use 2 popsicle sticks.
one to spoon out substance A and the other for substance B, then mix
them with one stick. Now I use screwdrivers, but I absolutely don't
let the A and B touch anywhere but in the mixing area. Never a trace of
A gets into the B can or B in the A can and the unused part lasts for at
least 10 years, probably 20 or more. I get the 4oz. cans. They have
it in the 2 - 4 oz. size at Ace Hardware, but probably not at HD or
Lowes.

I think the Fiberfix is what I saw=
yesterday. The reason I didn't try it is -- there is a space between the =
cholorinator and the regular pipe....too small to get a piece of tape or an=
ything down there ...

Not too small for PC-11. You can use almost anything to push it around
with, like a spatula or a dinner knife or a plastic knife, and to clean
it off, just pull a tight paper napkin or paper towell over it. A or B
or maybe both will washes off in the sink. But I just wipe with
paper.

If you want the surface to be smooth, suck on a finger and wipe gently
over part of it. I've tasted the stuff and it's bad. To do the
rest, I wouldn't put my finger in my mouth again. This is why God gave
us 10 fingers. But it washes off your hands with soap and water

One time I was missing the cap for a wine sack (shaped like a goat's
stomach but made out of plastic) so I put vaseline on the plastic
threads, used PC-7 to mold a cap around the top with my fingers, used a
nail or something to put a hole for the string through the top, used wet
fingers to smooth it, and when it hardened, it was so tight I needed
pliers to unscrew it the first time. PC-7 and 11 are fantastic.

but without covering it with something, the leak woul=
d continue. Thanks again for your help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 18, 2014 6:15:22 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
I've tasted the stuff and it's bad.

I had to real that twice. LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 07:48:49 -0700 (PDT), Thomas
wrote:

On Monday, August 18, 2014 6:15:22 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
I've tasted the stuff and it's bad.

I had to real that twice. LOL

Haha. I think I got mixed up on which finger I had used last, and
licked it instead of the next one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Another thing you could do is use the PC-11 where the cloth won't go.
And then cover all that with the Fiberfix.

I'd still put a ring of PC-11 (or 7 if your pipes are black) around
where it is leaking, but maybe a less wide one.

The Fiberfix sounds like the last time I broke a leg. IIRC they had
precut strips of cloth already impregnated with plaster of pais, and
only had to soak the cloth in water for a while, and then wrap it around
the cotton they'd wrapped my leg with. Warm while drying (unlike the
previous cast the week before, that was cold and damp) Hard when dry.

If you want the surface to be smooth, suck on a finger and wipe gently
over part of it. I've tasted the stuff and it's bad. To do the
rest, I wouldn't put my finger in my mouth again. This is why God gave
us 10 fingers. But it washes off your hands with soap and water

One time I was missing the cap for a wine sack (shaped like a goat's
stomach but made out of plastic) so I put vaseline on the plastic
threads, used PC-7 to mold a cap around the top with my fingers, used a
nail or something to put a hole for the string through the top, used wet
fingers to smooth it, and when it hardened, it was so tight I needed
pliers to unscrew it the first time. PC-7 and 11 are fantastic.

but without covering it with something, the leak woul=
d continue. Thanks again for your help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

There is also a new
product that was on Shark Tank on TV, Fiberfix. It's a cloth, weave type
product together with a water activated glue. You wet it, wrap it and
it's strong and waterproof. I've never used it, but they have it at Lowes.

I brought this up in another previous thread. Said to be 100x stronger
than Duct Tape.

Red Green called it, in one word, "Blasphemy" (G)

There is a Fiber Fix Youtube channel... with videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/fiberfixusa

A guy intentional cuts his main house water line. Wear protective

Are you saying that Fiberfix is flexible too?

gloves, for sure. QVC sold out the fist time it was featured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Ci0kqAwZE

ISTR the cost is ~ $6 for 40 inches....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 18, 2014 9:47:31 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Since it's pool plumbing, it's reasonable to assume it's PVC water
pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 11:40:58 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

As you're noticing, different plastics have

different repair techniques. I'd want to get

someone local (to you) and on scene to figure

out the answer. We'd mostly be guessing.

Since it's pool plumbing, it's reasonable to assume it's PVC water
pipe.

Yes Sir. In the desert tough it is usually painted to reduce UV damage
for above ground pipe. A poster here one time suggested using a shop
vac on a pipe, add the PVC glue so the vacuum pulls the glue into the
crevice of the leak. Never done that but it did sound reasonable, at
least for a short term fix.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

As you're noticing, different plastics have

different repair techniques. I'd want to get

someone local (to you) and on scene to figure

out the answer. We'd mostly be guessing.

Since it's pool plumbing, it's reasonable to assume it's PVC water

pipe.

Yes Sir. In the desert tough it is usually painted to reduce UV damage

for above ground pipe. A poster here one time suggested using a shop

vac on a pipe, add the PVC glue so the vacuum pulls the glue into the

crevice of the leak. Never done that but it did sound reasonable, at

least for a short term fix.

It was suggested here again in this thread. I think it's a good idea too.
Maybe sucking in some solvent first, to soften it up, wouldn't be a bad
idea either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

There is also a new
product that was on Shark Tank on TV, Fiberfix. It's a cloth, weave type
product together with a water activated glue. You wet it, wrap it and
it's strong and waterproof. I've never used it, but they have it at Lowes.

I brought this up in another previous thread. Said to be 100x stronger
than Duct Tape.

Red Green called it, in one word, "Blasphemy" (G)

There is a Fiber Fix Youtube channel... with videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/fiberfixusa

A guy intentional cuts his main house water line. Wear protective

Are you saying that Fiberfix is flexible too?

No. I have no way to know because I have not used it!

There must be a difference when wet and when cured dry.

gloves, for sure. QVC sold out the fist time it was featured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Ci0kqAwZE

ISTR the cost is ~ $6 for 40 inches....

I did say, based on videos to use protective gloves when you handle
it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

There is also a new

product that was on Shark Tank on TV, Fiberfix. It's a cloth, weave type

product together with a water activated glue. You wet it, wrap it and

it's strong and waterproof. I've never used it, but they have it at Lowes.

I brought this up in another previous thread. Said to be 100x stronger

than Duct Tape.

Red Green called it, in one word, "Blasphemy" (G)

There is a Fiber Fix Youtube channel... with videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/fiberfixusa

A guy intentional cuts his main house water line. Wear protective

Are you saying that Fiberfix is flexible too?

No. I have no way to know because I have not used it!

I haven't either, but they show pics of using it to fix things like
broken rake handles and recommend it for apps like that, so I seriously
doubt it's flexible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 06:08:26 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Are you saying that Fiberfix is flexible too?

No. I have no way to know because I have not used it!

I haven't either, but they show pics of using it to fix things like
broken rake handles and recommend it for apps like that, so I seriously
doubt it's flexible.

One of the youtube videos shows a weight bar being cut in half,
Fiberfix being used and then weights being lifted. Interesting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 05:33:47 -0700 (PDT), Dottie
wrote:

[...]

What kind of plastic pipe? ABS or PVC? I would try cleaning the
joint/leak area very well with s aolvent (acetone??) and then work
some solvent glue (the stuff used to join the plastic involved) into
and around the leaking joint. It will chemically "weld" the fracture
or gap in the pipe. If that doesn't work you will need to cut the
pipe and install a "fernco" connector to rejoin the pipe, or involve a
plumber or knowlegeable handiman / pool person.

OT Tire slow leak KenK Home Repair 94 March 21st 14 09:53 PM
Bathtub Stopper--Slow Leak Ed Sievers Home Repair 1 February 1st 10 02:35 AM
Slow leak in sealed water system PFO UK diy 5 March 25th 06 05:42 PM
very slow gas leak Ariel Home Ownership 28 May 25th 05 03:33 PM
very slow gas leak Ariel UK diy 28 May 25th 05 03:33 PM