Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Slow Leak

A few weeks back I posted that one of the pipes leading to the pool filter was leaking -- then I posted again and said, no - it wasn't leaking. I thought it was a mole that had caused the problem. The hole was not wet -- at least, it was only damp... Fast forward. I have a leak. There is a large plastic pipe - then a joint straight across - where the cholrinator is - then another plastic pipe. The chol. pipe is threaded...and dips in about 1/4 in. where it joins the regular plastic pipe (3 or 4" size) ... it is leaking where the chol. pipe joins the regular pipe. I consulted with my neighbors and they though caulking would stop it. I first put a layer of Dap tub and tile caulk on it -- let it dry (meaning I turned off the pump so the water wouldn't be passing through it). It still leaked a little - so I put another layer, this time window/door caulk - good for interiors and exteriors. I had these on hand. I did go to Lowe's and look. They had some "magic tape" ... but because of the "dip" I couldn't have gotten it in to cover the leak. I let the caulk sit overnight. Went back this morning and as soon as the pump came on it started dripping again...I have cleaned off all the caulk. It hadn't dried well - even in places where the water from the leak hadn't touched it - and it didn't rain on it.

If have to call a plumber it will be a major job. I no longer use that chol., I just use the kind that floats in the pool.

Anyone have a suggestion about what I can buy to seal this leak. It's just a small one at the seam where the chol.pipe joins the regular pipe.

Thanks.

OT Tire slow leak KenK Home Repair 94 March 21st 14 09:53 PM
Bathtub Stopper--Slow Leak Ed Sievers Home Repair 1 February 1st 10 02:35 AM
Slow leak in sealed water system PFO UK diy 5 March 25th 06 05:42 PM
very slow gas leak Ariel Home Ownership 28 May 25th 05 03:33 PM
very slow gas leak Ariel UK diy 28 May 25th 05 03:33 PM