Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Slow Leak

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 09:15:51 -0700 (PDT), Dottie
wrote:

I went to Ace hardware and it was the opinion of two people who work with t=
he plumbing supplies -- that the water pressure where the leak is, would pr=
event the caulk from working. I called a man we've used before to come by =
and look at it -- he does pool repairs.

So he hasn't come by yet?

If not, Trader's product sounds pretty good.

If you can't get that, or if some other reason precludes it, what you
need is PC-11. It's not just epoxy, it 's the right epoxy. Well
that's if the pipes are white. If they are black, use PC-7, which is
dark grey. PC-11 is white. And though you should turn the water off
like you did before, and scrape off the caulk you put on since it must
not have worked --- and though it will stick even to glass, you should
use some medium or coarse sandpaper to rough up the plastic pipes -- it
will stick to anything (unless you coat it with vaseline or something
similar first). It will go on a leaking drain pipe while the faucet is
running slowly and the pipe is leaking and it will still dry waterproof.
That time I had to keep pushing the stuff back where it was supposed to
be. The dripping water made it fall down some. After a while I could
feel it hardening. But when it's not leaking you won't have to keep
pushing the stuff back in place, because the water won't be pushing it
away.

Run a ring of it all the way around the pipe** and at least 1/2 inch
away from the leak down the pipe, and in the other direction too. .

**That will take the place of wrapping with cloth.

Follow the instructions carefully. I used to use 2 popsicle sticks.
one to spoon out substance A and the other for substance B, then mix
them with one stick. Now I use screwdrivers, but I absolutely don't
let the A and B touch anywhere but in the mixing area. Never a trace of
A gets into the B can or B in the A can and the unused part lasts for at
least 10 years, probably 20 or more. I get the 4oz. cans. They have
it in the 2 - 4 oz. size at Ace Hardware, but probably not at HD or
Lowes.

I think the Fiberfix is what I saw=
yesterday. The reason I didn't try it is -- there is a space between the =
cholorinator and the regular pipe....too small to get a piece of tape or an=
ything down there ...

Not too small for PC-11. You can use almost anything to push it around
with, like a spatula or a dinner knife or a plastic knife, and to clean
it off, just pull a tight paper napkin or paper towell over it. A or B
or maybe both will washes off in the sink. But I just wipe with
paper.

If you want the surface to be smooth, suck on a finger and wipe gently
over part of it. I've tasted the stuff and it's bad. To do the
rest, I wouldn't put my finger in my mouth again. This is why God gave
us 10 fingers. But it washes off your hands with soap and water

One time I was missing the cap for a wine sack (shaped like a goat's
stomach but made out of plastic) so I put vaseline on the plastic
threads, used PC-7 to mold a cap around the top with my fingers, used a
nail or something to put a hole for the string through the top, used wet
fingers to smooth it, and when it hardened, it was so tight I needed
pliers to unscrew it the first time. PC-7 and 11 are fantastic.

but without covering it with something, the leak woul=
d continue. Thanks again for your help.