Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pressure tank without shutoff valve

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 10:01:58 PM UTC-7, Pico Rico wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 11:47:28 AM UTC-7, Pico Rico wrote:

snip

I thought we were talking about a valve between the well and the pressure
tank.

we were and I was. Complicated situation. Back when I bought this place it was serviced from a community well that had been drilled by the state when the highway rebuild ruined the spring. Served 4 hourses originally but mine and the neighbove 1/4 mile away (who had the well) were the only ones left. I somehow wound up being the unpaid 'well fixer' and as time went on I even became the "well fixer upper guy who got to pay the costs".

I drilled myi own well to get off that community well but kept the interconnection "in case". 'In case' happened twice at the neighbors and they used off my well until theirs was fixed. Then about 2 months ago my well pump started running about every 15 minutes. What with all the irrigation lines I had installed, I was looking at a major digging project to find the leak..

OK. Told the neighbor I would be using off their well. Turned on the interconnect and then discovered that there was no shut-ff between the pressur tank and my well. Neighbor would have been pumping right into wherever my leak was. Had to pay the $120 to a plumber to get a shut-off installed - it would have cost about $10 if I had thought to tell the well drillers to install one.

My leak turned out to be in the well, galvanic corrosion ate a big hole just above the pump (galvanized to brass connection). It also did the same at the pitless adapter.

I am a firm believer that there should be a shutoff on any line where it enters the house. Most would never or only very rarely used but when needed....

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message

[...]

didn't you have a check valve between the pressure tank and the well?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 3, 2014 1:14:35 PM UTC-7, Pico Rico wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

snip

OK. Told the neighbor I would be using off their well. Turned on the
interconnect and then discovered that there was no shut-ff between the
pressur tank and my well. Neighbor would have been pumping right into
wherever my leak was.

didn't you have a check valve between the pressure tank and the well?

No. I know people think one should be there but it is redundant and does nothing but add restrictions to the system. The checkvalve goes in the well, normally just above the pump or it may be part of the pump.

One can be, however, installed between tank and well somewhere if the one in the well fails.

I saw a report somewhere where someone had installed multiple checkvalves in the drop pipe on a very deep well. No explanation of why they thought that was a good idea.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Sunday, August 3, 2014 1:14:35 PM UTC-7, Pico Rico wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

snip

OK. Told the neighbor I would be using off their well. Turned on the
interconnect and then discovered that there was no shut-ff between the
pressur tank and my well. Neighbor would have been pumping right into
wherever my leak was.

didn't you have a check valve between the pressure tank and the well?

No. I know people think one should be there but it is redundant and does
nothing but add restrictions to the system. The checkvalve goes in the
well, normally just above the pump or it may be part of the pump.

One can be, however, installed between tank and well somewhere if the one
in the well fails.

I saw a report somewhere where someone had installed multiple checkvalves
in the drop pipe on a very deep well. No explanation of why they thought
that was a good idea.

so when the foot valve fails, the entire stack is not drained. And when t
he foot valve and the bottom check valve failes, ditto.

Not sure that is what I would do, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 4, 2014 12:31:28 AM UTC-4, Harry K wrote:
On Sunday, August 3, 2014 1:14:35 PM UTC-7, Pico Rico wrote:

"Harry K" wrote in message

snip

OK. Told the neighbor I would be using off their well. Turned on the

interconnect and then discovered that there was no shut-ff between the

pressur tank and my well. Neighbor would have been pumping right into

wherever my leak was.

didn't you have a check valve between the pressure tank and the well?

No. I know people think one should be there but it is redundant and does nothing but add restrictions to the system. The checkvalve goes in the well, normally just above the pump or it may be part of the pump.

I'd say a checkvalve located at the submersible pump *is* a checkvalve between
the tank and well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Monday, August 4, 2014 12:31:28 AM UTC-4, Harry K wrote:
On Sunday, August 3, 2014 1:14:35 PM UTC-7, Pico Rico wrote:

"Harry K" wrote in message

snip

OK. Told the neighbor I would be using off their well. Turned on
the

interconnect and then discovered that there was no shut-ff between
the

pressur tank and my well. Neighbor would have been pumping right into

wherever my leak was.

didn't you have a check valve between the pressure tank and the well?

No. I know people think one should be there but it is redundant and does
nothing but add restrictions to the system. The checkvalve goes in the
well, normally just above the pump or it may be part of the pump.

I'd say a checkvalve located at the submersible pump *is* a checkvalve
between
the tank and well.

as I think about it, I bet that checkvalve was installed between the well
and the pressure tank AFTER the foot valve failed. Interestingly, after
several years, the foot valve started working again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael Wilson posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 2:13:51 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 8/2/2014 1:56 PM, Michael Wilson wrote:

First call, longtime listener.

I'm changing out the water pressure tank, but I

don't have a shut off valve from tank to well to

drain the tank. If I turn off the breaker to the

well pump, will this effectively shut off the water

so I can drain the tank and replace it? Help much

appreciated.

Mike

Yes, should. I'd open a couple faucets, to drain

the pressure. Expect to get a little wet, no such

thing as perfect.

So, tell us why you're replacing the tank? might be

that's not your real problem.

--

.

Christopher A. Young

Learn about Jesus

www.lds.org

.

The plumber said the diaphragm is broken in the tank we have. The pressure switch constantly flips on when water is run in the house. He wants $900.00 to replace it with an Amtrol WX203 32 Gal tank. I'm putting in a Flotec 35 Gallon instead.

AS i understand it a larger tank is better because the pump runs longer for
each cycle but cycles less, which is what causes pump problems.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
AS i understand it a larger tank is better because the pump runs longer
for

each cycle but cycles less, which is what causes pump problems.

That is correct. Usually the most problems will be caused by the motor
cycling off and on more. When a motor starts up it draws more current for a
short period of time while the motor is starting up. This puts more stress
on the motor. If you have a motor like on my well, there is a set of points
that puts a capacitor in and out of the circuit for about a second at
startup while the motor comes up to speed. The more often the points cycle,
the faster they wear out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to trader_4, Chiltibran wrote:
What happens if your valve to your house from the tank will not open and needs
replaced

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ve-803718-.htm