external usenet poster

Default Pressure tank without shutoff valve

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 10:01:58 PM UTC-7, Pico Rico wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 11:47:28 AM UTC-7, Pico Rico wrote:

snip

I thought we were talking about a valve between the well and the pressure
tank.

we were and I was. Complicated situation. Back when I bought this place it was serviced from a community well that had been drilled by the state when the highway rebuild ruined the spring. Served 4 hourses originally but mine and the neighbove 1/4 mile away (who had the well) were the only ones left. I somehow wound up being the unpaid 'well fixer' and as time went on I even became the "well fixer upper guy who got to pay the costs".

I drilled myi own well to get off that community well but kept the interconnection "in case". 'In case' happened twice at the neighbors and they used off my well until theirs was fixed. Then about 2 months ago my well pump started running about every 15 minutes. What with all the irrigation lines I had installed, I was looking at a major digging project to find the leak..

OK. Told the neighbor I would be using off their well. Turned on the interconnect and then discovered that there was no shut-ff between the pressur tank and my well. Neighbor would have been pumping right into wherever my leak was. Had to pay the $120 to a plumber to get a shut-off installed - it would have cost about $10 if I had thought to tell the well drillers to install one.

My leak turned out to be in the well, galvanic corrosion ate a big hole just above the pump (galvanized to brass connection). It also did the same at the pitless adapter.

I am a firm believer that there should be a shutoff on any line where it enters the house. Most would never or only very rarely used but when needed....

Harry K