Speedy Jim

Default Water tank pressure relief valve leaking

montana wrote:

I've been Googling former posts to the group on tis question, but
evidently i can't wrap my tiny brane around what I've read. DH has a
double and there are two water heaters tied to one expansion tank. The
HVAC guy hooked up the expension tank because there had been problems
with the relief valves leaking before and this was supposed to fix it.
It didn't. I suggested that DH may need to get a pressure regulator at
the point that the water comes into the double from the city.

He doesn't want to do this or have it done now, but I know he's had
these relief valves changed out before. His arthritis is acting up, so
he was pretty snippy when he asked me if I could do the work myself and
just do another quick fix until the day comes that he gets the other
pressure regulator put in. I love the HVAC guy, but he charges an arm &
a leg & I don't think he always does the best job.

So; can an amateur replace these valves without too much trouble? SNIP

Find out what the pipe size is from the meter into the house;
that will dictate what size reducing valve (PRV) to get.
As RikC suggested, making a pressure measurement needs to be
done first. You can buy an inexpensive gauge to mate with
a hose bibb.

If street presure is below, say 80 PSI, there may be a check
valve or backflow preventer which is making the expansion tank
necessary.

One expansion tank may not be enough for TWO water heaters;
the tanks are sized by gallonage because that controls the
amount of expansion. I would rather have 2 separate expansion tanks.

Couple of links:
http://www.flexconind.com/html/wh-series_.html

http://www.wattsreg.com/

Jim
montana

In article , Speedy Jim wrote:

snip

So; can an amateur replace these valves without too much trouble? SNIP

Find out what the pipe size is from the meter into the house;
that will dictate what size reducing valve (PRV) to get.
As RikC suggested, making a pressure measurement needs to be
done first. You can buy an inexpensive gauge to mate with
a hose bibb.

If street presure is below, say 80 PSI, there may be a check
valve or backflow preventer which is making the expansion tank
necessary.

One expansion tank may not be enough for TWO water heaters;
the tanks are sized by gallonage because that controls the
amount of expansion. I would rather have 2 separate expansion tanks.

Couple of links:
http://www.flexconind.com/html/wh-series_.html

http://www.wattsreg.com/

Jim

Thanks to RikC & Jim; between the two of you, I have a picture in my
mind of how to proceed. And woe unto me for saying anything defamitory
about our HVAC guy, who DH has known for nearly twenty years (and DH & I
haven't been married for three years, yet).

I understand why it might be preferable to have two expansion tanks, but
I know that thought was given to the size of the tank to handle both
water heaters. I also understand that valves can go bad for different
reasons and that none of them have anything to do with the HVAC guy. So,
I am pulling my plumbing basket out and getting ready to go over to the
double to so some measuring and I'm bringing the digital camera so that
when we go to the plumbing shop, the guys know what to tell me.
Stephen Kurzban

While choosing what you need, check inside the packages to
make sure the installation instructions are there. They may
provide the detail you asked for...

Best,

Stephen Kurzban

montana wrote:

snip

Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 07:28 PM
Mains water pressure in a new(ish) house? Cubik UK diy 8 January 28th 04 09:25 PM
Knocking from hot water tank... Adam UK diy 7 September 4th 03 03:51 PM
No pressure in Hot water tap!!! Help The Question Asker UK diy 8 July 21st 03 09:47 PM