Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT The advantages of home repair

Two years ago I had my knees replaced so had not been able to do much
maintenance on my old house.

Knees now in good shape I decided to bring all the wiring up to code and
add a few more circuits. To get wires from the basement to attic,
had to run up along the chimney. Were it not for that I may not have
noticed that the flue was bad.

One repair job leading to another.

Now two weeks later I've done a lot of work and I'll be darned...
lost all that weight I gained from being inactive.

Guess it's time to look for more projects. On a 116 year old house,
don't have too far to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/29/2014 02:58 PM, Jan Alter wrote:
You gave me a smile.

Good luck with your future, and your projects.

JA

snip

flue was bad.

One repair job leading to another.

Now two weeks later I've done a lot of work and I'll be darned...
lost all that weight I gained from being inactive.

Guess it's time to look for more projects. On a 116 year old house,
don't have too far to go.

When I started to tell my wife how much weight I lost, she told me to
shut up!

I told her to help me with my projects!
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
Two years ago I had my knees replaced so had not been able to do much
maintenance on my old house.

Knees now in good shape I decided to bring all the wiring up to code
and add a few more circuits. To get wires from the basement to attic,
had to run up along the chimney. Were it not for that I may not have
noticed that the flue was bad.

One repair job leading to another.

Now two weeks later I've done a lot of work and I'll be darned...
lost all that weight I gained from being inactive.

I've found that splitting firewood is a great way to help control my
weight . Tightens up the ol' abs too . I'm up to a little over 2 cords ,
would like 3 more before the weather gets cold .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
On 07/29/2014 02:58 PM, Jan Alter wrote:
You gave me a smile.

Good luck with your future, and your projects.

JA

snip

flue was bad.

One repair job leading to another.

Now two weeks later I've done a lot of work and I'll be darned...
lost all that weight I gained from being inactive.

Guess it's time to look for more projects. On a 116 year old house,
don't have too far to go.

When I started to tell my wife how much weight I lost, she told me to
shut up!

I told her to help me with my projects!

Let's not get started with wives and weight . Mine sometimes reads over my
shoulder ...nuff said .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/29/2014 03:33 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
philo wrote:
Two years ago I had my knees replaced so had not been able to do much
maintenance on my old house.

Knees now in good shape I decided to bring all the wiring up to code
and add a few more circuits. To get wires from the basement to attic,
had to run up along the chimney. Were it not for that I may not have
noticed that the flue was bad.

One repair job leading to another.

Now two weeks later I've done a lot of work and I'll be darned...
lost all that weight I gained from being inactive.

I've found that splitting firewood is a great way to help control my
weight . Tightens up the ol' abs too . I'm up to a little over 2 cords ,
would like 3 more before the weather gets cold .

When I was in the Army, I took a leave with one of my friends to visit
his 80 year old grandfather who lived in England.

With a two man saw we decided to help the guy and saw up some large logs
for him.

He ran over to us laughing and single handedly did it himself in less
than half the time it would have taken us.

I am not much of a firewood expert.
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
[...]

Neither am I , but I've learned that green wood doesn't heat as well as
seasoned ... last winter was my first rodeo , as they say . This year we'll
be warmer and I'll work less .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT The advantages of wood heat

On 7/30/2014 8:19 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I am not much of a firewood expert.

Neither am I , but I've learned that green wood doesn't heat as well as
seasoned ... last winter was my first rodeo , as they say . This year we'll
be warmer and I'll work less .

I've heard that green wood has a lot of water.
And most of the firewood goes to boiling out
the water instead of heating your house.

Most of the wood burners up Nawth, keep the wood
under a roof or tarp, so it doesn't get rained on.

One old man I knew, used to pour crankcase oil onto
his wood pile, more stuff to burn. He said that
even light wood like dried willow burned a lot
better when soaked full of used motor oil. Sounds
messy, I'd think.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/30/2014 07:19 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
philo wrote:
On 07/29/2014 03:33 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
he time it would have taken us.

I am not much of a firewood expert.

Neither am I , but I've learned that green wood doesn't heat as well as
seasoned ... last winter was my first rodeo , as they say . This year we'll
be warmer and I'll work less .

I thought green wood causes too much soot in your flue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
On 07/29/2014 02:58 PM, Jan Alter wrote:
You gave me a smile.

Good luck with your future, and your projects.

JA

snip

flue was bad.

One repair job leading to another.

Now two weeks later I've done a lot of work and I'll be darned...
lost all that weight I gained from being inactive.

Guess it's time to look for more projects. On a 116 year old house,
don't have too far to go.

When I started to tell my wife how much weight I lost, she told me to
shut up!

I told her to help me with my projects!

Hi,
wife just had a little surgery to fix her left hand pinky finger
yesterday. Result of too much sewing, knitting, crochet,
gardening. Already running around in the yard watering, weeding...
We're both on the wrong side of 70, I always weigh 150, she 120.
Our weight never fluctuate too much. I am really worried when I don't
have some thing to do. Lately I started fixing broken laptops people
don't want and selling some giving away some to needy student or
whoever. Lot of repairs are surprisingly very minimal, minor problems.
Take it easy and have fun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:
philo wrote:
On 07/29/2014 02:58 PM, Jan Alter wrote:
You gave me a smile.

Good luck with your future, and your projects.

JA

snip

flue was bad.

One repair job leading to another.

Now two weeks later I've done a lot of work and I'll be darned...
lost all that weight I gained from being inactive.

Guess it's time to look for more projects. On a 116 year old house,
don't have too far to go.

When I started to tell my wife how much weight I lost, she told me to
shut up!

I told her to help me with my projects!

Let's not get started with wives and weight . Mine sometimes reads over my
shoulder ...nuff said .

Hi,
Because you don't have a dog? Our dog forced us to exercise(walk) twice
every day. Total 6 miles. Lately we're hit with heat wave, have to go
out B4 sun up and after sun down watching the coyotes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/30/2014 8:19 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I am not much of a firewood expert.

Neither am I , but I've learned that green wood doesn't heat as
well as
seasoned ... last winter was my first rodeo , as they say . This year
we'll
be warmer and I'll work less .

I've heard that green wood has a lot of water.
And most of the firewood goes to boiling out
the water instead of heating your house.

Most of the wood burners up Nawth, keep the wood
under a roof or tarp, so it doesn't get rained on.

One old man I knew, used to pour crankcase oil onto
his wood pile, more stuff to burn. He said that
even light wood like dried willow burned a lot
better when soaked full of used motor oil. Sounds
messy, I'd think.

Hi,
In the city no house has wood burning FP any more. Even out at my
cabin it is NG FP. I still burn fire wood using fire pit for fun.
My back yard has one too. In the evening, it gets cool always even in
summer(~10 deg. C)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:33:38 PM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:

snip

I've found that splitting firewood is a great way to help control my
weight . Tightens up the ol' abs too . I'm up to a little over 2 cords ,
would like 3 more before the weather gets cold .

I heat 99% with wood and the work involved in it is my physical therapy. Just finished splitting/stacking 4 1/2 cords working at at 1 hour per day every orning (weather permitting). I need to either boost the time I spend doing it or cut down on the brews, my belly isn't getting any smaller

I should be out cutting more in a day or two if the farmer has harvested the field I have to cross to get to the trees.

I have about 70 cords of black locust split and stacked almost all done manually. The Locust Borer killed BL all over this county and I harvested almost every dead tree withing 30 miles of the house. I have a hydraulic splitter but it only sees the tough stuff (knots/crotches, etc).

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 12:12:57 AM UTC-7, philo* wrote:

snip

When I was in the Army, I took a leave with one of my friends to visit
his 80 year old grandfather who lived in England.
With a two man saw we decided to help the guy and saw up some large logs
for him.

He ran over to us laughing and single handedly did it himself in less
than half the time it would have taken us.

I am not much of a firewood expert.

I spent 21 years in the AF flying a desk. Every vacation I would help out a bit at home but it was very obvious I was in no shape to be physically active. Last year before retiring I took a part time job working in an iron foundry. Now _that_ does a good tune-up job!! Nothing beats wrestling around with 200 lb manhole covers at 5pm with the temps outside in hi 90s and the covers coming out of the sand hot.

The local community college football coach used to send members of his team to that outfit for 'shaping up'. One night I reported and there were two big husky newbie footballers assigned to us. An hour later one comes over to me and asks who the boss was. I pointed him out. Guy goes over, a minute chit-chat and both of them left .

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 08:46:51 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 7/30/2014 8:19 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I am not much of a firewood expert.

Neither am I , but I've learned that green wood doesn't heat as well as
seasoned ... last winter was my first rodeo , as they say . This year we'll
be warmer and I'll work less .

I've heard that green wood has a lot of water.
And most of the firewood goes to boiling out
the water instead of heating your house.

Most of the wood burners up Nawth, keep the wood
under a roof or tarp, so it doesn't get rained on.

Exactly. It takes a lot of energy to boil off that water and the heat
is wasted up the stack. Not only that, if you have a chimney cap, the
vapor will often condense on the cold cap and drop back down the flue
and run out the bottom cleanout.

Wood should be cut and left to dry at least six months, 12 months is
better. If you have room to bring some wood into the house for a week
or two before burning it will dry even more and give a better fire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
philo wrote:
[...]

We used to walk the dog twice a day . But now she's old , and isn't really
into anything but sleeping in front of the TV ... kinda like me . Not really
, I get plenty of exercise . The wife though , doesn't . She talks about it
, but just never seems to find the right time .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
On 07/29/2014 03:33 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
he time it would have taken us.

I am not much of a firewood expert.

Neither am I , but I've learned that green wood doesn't heat as
well as seasoned ... last winter was my first rodeo , as they say .
This year we'll be warmer and I'll work less .

I thought green wood causes too much soot in your flue.

Not soot , creosote . And that can be minimized by letting the stove run
at full blast for a couple of hours once a week . Cooks the creosote so that
it flakes off and falls down into the stove .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You've heated with wood ... and I'm putting up wood for next winter . The
first stack I'll burn is what I cut at the end of last winter , it'll be
plenty dry by then . The wood I'm cutting now is all dead trees , most
standing but a couple of nice ones that were already down . I'll be out
cutting this winter too , for the next year . If I do this right I'll only
be cutting in winter when the bugs and snakes aren't a problem and I'll
always have a supply on hand of well-seasoned wood .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
[...]

Most of the stuff I split this morning is stuff I didn't split last winter
because it's knots and crotches ... once you figure it out it's still not
easy , but can be done . Having dried for a few months helped , I think . I
don't have a powered splitter , I think the splitting is what tightens the
ol' tummy and burns off those brews .
Back out to the woods , got a tree to fell . Red oak , about 55-60 ft tall
, still has some bark but is most assuredly dead . I expect to get close to
a cord out of this one .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2014 1:03 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

We used to walk the dog twice a day . But now she's old , and isn't really
into anything but sleeping in front of the TV ... kinda like me . Not really
, I get plenty of exercise .

You wore out the dog? Wow!

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philoÂ* View Post
Two years ago I had my knees replaced so had not been able to do much maintenance on my old house.
I am scheduled to have my left knee replaced in December of 2014.

My understanding of the procedure is that they use a saw to cut off the top of the bottom bone (the one between the knee and the ankle) and to cut off the bottom of the top bone (the one between the knee and the hip). Then they screw stainless steel replacement parts to the bottom of the top bone and the top of the bottom bone. Those stainless steel parts are fastened to the ends of the bones with ordinary screws and look very much like the pieces that were cut off, apart from the fact that they're metal instead of bone. A teflon disk then fits between those stainless steel parts. And then they sew you up. Within three days time you're walking and they have you climbing stairs within 5 days.

Can you kneel down on your artificial knees? Is there anything that can be done to make kneeling easier, or less painful? My understanding is that kneeling will not harm artificial knees, but it just feels awful when you kneel on them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/30/2014 10:14 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
phiX

I told her to help me with my projects!

Hi,
wife just had a little surgery to fix her left hand pinky finger
yesterday. Result of too much sewing, knitting, crochet,
gardening. Already running around in the yard watering, weeding...
We're both on the wrong side of 70, I always weigh 150, she 120.
Our weight never fluctuate too much. I am really worried when I don't
have some thing to do. Lately I started fixing broken laptops people
don't want and selling some giving away some to needy student or
whoever. Lot of repairs are surprisingly very minimal, minor problems.
Take it easy and have fun.

After doing a lot of hard, physical labor for the past few weeks,
I got 4 computers to repair today...

Work I can do sitting down!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/30/2014 10:43 AM, Harry K wrote:
[...]

I used to go to foundries for my job (repairing forklift batteries and
chargers)

Worst one was when I had to go on one of those 95 degree days!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/30/2014 04:28 PM, nestork wrote:

philoÂ*;3265299 Wrote:
[...]

I have a minor complication in that one of my knees only bends 45
degrees...so I am seeing another doctor in Sept.

Since that knee does not bend enough I can't kneel on it at all...
but I can kneel on the other slightly. It's not comfortable but I was
told it won't hurt anything.

I had both knees replaced at the same time...two years ago.

I guess I was one of the fortunate ones as there was virtually no pain
after the first few weeks.

24 hours after the surgery I was able to walk a little bit with a
walker. I was in the hospital 4 days then sent to a rehab unit.

There are a lot of stairs in my house and my wife was not going to let
me come home until she was sure I could get up and down the stairs.

I was scheduled for a ten day stay but after 5 days they kicked me out
of there. They said if I could get up at 2 am and do my own laundry
without help it was time to go home!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 10:24:31 AM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:

snip

Most of the stuff I split this morning is stuff I didn't split last winter
because it's knots and crotches ... once you figure it out it's still not
easy , but can be done . Having dried for a few months helped , I think . I
don't have a powered splitter , I think the splitting is what tightens the
ol' tummy and burns off those brews .

My splitting is three stage, Fiskars X27, maul, wedge/sledge. Stuff that doesn't split nice goes to a reject pile.

Next comes the splitter next to the reject pile and what will split without looking like amess goes through it.

Rejects from there go to the "noodle" pile (called that as the shavings look like noodles after the chainsaw cuts them apart).

Harry, 79 years young, K

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo�*;3265299 Wrote:
[...]

I had both hips replaced separately a year apart. Hed no problems with either and was walking the halls the second day on my second hip.

I was religious about following the theripists instructions and did the excercises 2x day but I did increase the number reps a bunch. I was out timber cruising on my cane while still in the home rehab program .

Something went whacko with my left knee a few days ago. Almost puts me on the floor if I stand up to fast. Hoping I don't have to have that done as all the reports I have heard is the knees are much worse than hips to get fixed right.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

BTW for those who have fun with firewood, logging, etc. A very good site is

arboristsite.com

discussions of all aspects of logging, firewood, etc. That site is addictive! Stay out of the 'religious/political' forum unless you have very thick skin

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 10:24:31 AM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:

snip

Most of the stuff I split this morning is stuff I didn't split
last winter because it's knots and crotches ... once you figure it
out it's still not easy , but can be done . Having dried for a few
months helped , I think . I don't have a powered splitter , I think
the splitting is what tightens the ol' tummy and burns off those
brews .

My splitting is three stage, Fiskars X27, maul, wedge/sledge. Stuff
that doesn't split nice goes to a reject pile.

Next comes the splitter next to the reject pile and what will split
without looking like amess goes through it.

Rejects from there go to the "noodle" pile (called that as the
shavings look like noodles after the chainsaw cuts them apart).

Harry, 79 years young, K

There are a few pieces on the pile that I didn't even try to split , just
chainsawed 'em into chunks that'll go thru the stove door . Some pieces look
pretty weird after splitting due to wild grain . Had a pretty good day today
got near a half-cord split and stacked yesterday and today , and it was all
stuff felled last winter . Burned some slash and cleared the haulin'-out
path to the next big tree I want to drop . Gotta watch that one some more
before it comes down , I saw a Pileated Woodpecker fly off it today and I
want to be certain they don't have a nest in it . No problem , there are a
couple of smaller ones nearby that I'll use that same path to haul out of
the woods .
I sure hope I'm as spry as you sound when I get that old . I think the key
is to keep on doing as much as you can , even if it hurts sometimes . The
day I dread is the day I can't hold the Harley up ... and have to start
draggin' a sidecar .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]