Posted to alt.home.repair
harry k harry k is offline

Default OT The advantages of home repair

On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 10:24:31 AM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:

snip

Most of the stuff I split this morning is stuff I didn't split last winter
because it's knots and crotches ... once you figure it out it's still not
easy , but can be done . Having dried for a few months helped , I think . I
don't have a powered splitter , I think the splitting is what tightens the
ol' tummy and burns off those brews .

My splitting is three stage, Fiskars X27, maul, wedge/sledge. Stuff that doesn't split nice goes to a reject pile.

Next comes the splitter next to the reject pile and what will split without looking like amess goes through it.

Rejects from there go to the "noodle" pile (called that as the shavings look like noodles after the chainsaw cuts them apart).

Harry, 79 years young, K