Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default OT The advantages of home repair

On 07/30/2014 10:43 AM, Harry K wrote:
On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 12:12:57 AM UTC-7, philo wrote:

snip

When I was in the Army, I took a leave with one of my friends to visit
his 80 year old grandfather who lived in England.
With a two man saw we decided to help the guy and saw up some large logs
for him.

He ran over to us laughing and single handedly did it himself in less
than half the time it would have taken us.

I am not much of a firewood expert.

I spent 21 years in the AF flying a desk. Every vacation I would help out a bit at home but it was very obvious I was in no shape to be physically active. Last year before retiring I took a part time job working in an iron foundry. Now _that_ does a good tune-up job!! Nothing beats wrestling around with 200 lb manhole covers at 5pm with the temps outside in hi 90s and the covers coming out of the sand hot.

The local community college football coach used to send members of his team to that outfit for 'shaping up'. One night I reported and there were two big husky newbie footballers assigned to us. An hour later one comes over to me and asks who the boss was. I pointed him out. Guy goes over, a minute chit-chat and both of them left .

Harry K

I used to go to foundries for my job (repairing forklift batteries and
chargers)

Worst one was when I had to go on one of those 95 degree days!