Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HF compressor troubleshooting and repair

I've got a 3 gal pancake compressor that rides
with me in the van. Today I put on a tire that
I'd bought at garage sale, and got the compressor
out to air it up. The compressor normally goes
up to 100 PSI and shuts off, today it runs up
to 20 PSI.

So, I take the cover apart, and take the cylinder
head off. Put in some new 10w30 oil, to relubricate
the permanant lube bronze bushing. Well, we're up
to 60 PSI, and I can reinflate the tire.

After a couple phone calls to friends, I finally
find the problem which is.....

how many others had the same thing?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 21:32:04 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I've got a 3 gal pancake compressor that rides
with me in the van. Today I put on a tire that
I'd bought at garage sale, and got the compressor
out to air it up. The compressor normally goes
up to 100 PSI and shuts off, today it runs up
to 20 PSI.

So, I take the cover apart, and take the cylinder
head off. Put in some new 10w30 oil, to relubricate
the permanant lube bronze bushing. Well, we're up
to 60 PSI, and I can reinflate the tire.

After a couple phone calls to friends, I finally
find the problem which is.....

how many others had the same thing?

The valves were all corroded and not sealing???
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've got a 3 gal pancake compressor that rides
with me in the van. Today I put on a tire that
I'd bought at garage sale, and got the compressor
out to air it up. The compressor normally goes
up to 100 PSI and shuts off, today it runs up
to 20 PSI.

So, I take the cover apart, and take the cylinder
head off. Put in some new 10w30 oil, to relubricate
the permanant lube bronze bushing. Well, we're up
to 60 PSI, and I can reinflate the tire.

After a couple phone calls to friends, I finally
find the problem which is.....

how many others had the same thing?

Is 10W30 really the recommended oil????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/10/2014 09:32 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've got a 3 gal pancake compressor that rides
with me in the van.

Why would you want to compress your McPancakes. I like my pancakes light and fluffy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2014 10:13 PM, Bob F wrote:
head off. Put in some new 10w30 oil, to relubricate
the permanant lube bronze bushing. Well, we're up
to 60 PSI, and I can reinflate the tire.

After a couple phone calls to friends, I finally
find the problem which is.....

how many others had the same thing?

Is 10W30 really the recommended oil????

Actually, ND-30 probably better. And I do
have some two stroke mixing oil I ought have
used.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/11/2014 4:46 AM, Jack Legg wrote:
On 06/10/2014 09:32 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've got a 3 gal pancake compressor that rides
with me in the van.

Why would you want to compress your McPancakes. I like my pancakes light
and fluffy.

But, three gal pancakes lasts several days.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've got a 3 gal pancake compressor that rides
with me in the van. Today I put on a tire that
I'd bought at garage sale, and got the compressor
out to air it up. The compressor normally goes
up to 100 PSI and shuts off, today it runs up
to 20 PSI.

So, I take the cover apart, and take the cylinder
head off. Put in some new 10w30 oil, to relubricate
the permanant lube bronze bushing. Well, we're up
to 60 PSI, and I can reinflate the tire.

After a couple phone calls to friends, I finally
find the problem which is.....

how many others had the same thing?

Neighbor had the same thing happen to his HF unit. He tinkered with it
awhile, but gave up and sold it in a yard sale.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've got a 3 gal pancake compressor that rides

with me in the van. Today I put on a tire that

I'd bought at garage sale, and got the compressor

out to air it up. The compressor normally goes

up to 100 PSI and shuts off, today it runs up

to 20 PSI.

So, I take the cover apart, and take the cylinder

head off. Put in some new 10w30 oil, to relubricate

the permanant lube bronze bushing. Well, we're up

to 60 PSI, and I can reinflate the tire.

After a couple phone calls to friends, I finally

find the problem which is.....

how many others had the same thing?

Neighbor had the same thing happen to his HF unit. He tinkered with it

awhile, but gave up and sold it in a yard sale.

That's what I was thinking too. HF and diagnose, fix, repair does not
compute. Buy for a cheap price, when it dies, kick it to the curb.

Kind of like the guy here with the leaf blower that he bought for $5
without it working. If it worked, I'd pay $10, maybe $20 if it looked
like it was in good shape and ran. But when you can buy new stuff
cheap, it isn't worth the time and money to try to fix some cheap
thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/11/2014 11:40 AM, Oren wrote:
After a couple phone calls to friends, I finally
find the problem which is.....

how many others had the same thing?

Neighbor had the same thing happen to his HF unit. He tinkered with it
awhile, but gave up and sold it in a yard sale.

Well, the three gal is only about $40 with sale and
coupon. I've tempted to do the same.

Today I ran it up, and used it to inflate a soft tire
and a water fire extinguisher that takes 100 PSI. This
evening, the question will been out there for 24 hours,
and I'll probably post what I found.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/11/2014 1:01 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 11:40:34 AM UTC-4, Oren wrote:

Neighbor had the same thing happen to his HF unit. He tinkered with it

awhile, but gave up and sold it in a yard sale.

That's what I was thinking too. HF and diagnose, fix, repair does not
compute. Buy for a cheap price, when it dies, kick it to the curb.

Kind of like the guy here with the leaf blower that he bought for $5
without it working. If it worked, I'd pay $10, maybe $20 if it looked
like it was in good shape and ran. But when you can buy new stuff
cheap, it isn't worth the time and money to try to fix some cheap
thing.

I'm a generation away from The Great Depression.
We don't throw things away, unless tried to fix
it by self. Some times if I'm forced to buy new,
I'll keep the old for parts.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/11/2014 4:46 AM, Jack Legg wrote:
On 06/10/2014 09:32 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've got a 3 gal pancake compressor that rides
with me in the van.

Why would you want to compress your McPancakes. I like my pancakes
light and fluffy.

But, three gal pancakes lasts several days.

You're a Mormon. You have 3 gals?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/11/2014 1:56 PM, Bob F wrote:
Why would you want to compress your McPancakes. I like my pancakes
light and fluffy.

But, three gal pancakes lasts several days.

You're a Mormon. You have 3 gals?

I'm single, and dating. Politely, and
formally. I'll choose the one who has best
compressed pancakes.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/11/2014 1:01 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 11:40:34 AM UTC-4, Oren wrote:

Neighbor had the same thing happen to his HF unit. He tinkered with it

awhile, but gave up and sold it in a yard sale.

That's what I was thinking too. HF and diagnose, fix, repair does not
compute. Buy for a cheap price, when it dies, kick it to the curb.

Kind of like the guy here with the leaf blower that he bought for $5
without it working. If it worked, I'd pay $10, maybe $20 if it looked
like it was in good shape and ran. But when you can buy new stuff
cheap, it isn't worth the time and money to try to fix some cheap
thing.

I'm a generation away from The Great Depression.
We don't throw things away, unless tried to fix
it by self. Some times if I'm forced to buy new,
I'll keep the old for parts.

Hi,
To end up with pile of broken pancake compressors?, LOL!
I have a Campbell Hunsfeld Extreme duty belt driven one.
Main use is working on cars(tire change), blowing irrigation
system in the fall. Lasted many years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've got a 3 gal pancake compressor that rides
with me in the van. Today I put on a tire that
I'd bought at garage sale, and got the compressor
out to air it up. The compressor normally goes
up to 100 PSI and shuts off, today it runs up
to 20 PSI.

So, I take the cover apart, and take the cylinder
head off. Put in some new 10w30 oil, to relubricate
the permanant lube bronze bushing. Well, we're up
to 60 PSI, and I can reinflate the tire.

After a couple phone calls to friends, I finally
find the problem which is.....

how many others had the same thing?

Did it (a) switch off at 20 psi or (b)keep running?

If (a) Bad pressure shutoff switch.

If (b) Too many things wrong for me to guess.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/11/2014 1:03 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/11/2014 11:40 AM, Oren wrote:
After a couple phone calls to friends, I finally
find the problem which is.....

how many others had the same thing?

Neighbor had the same thing happen to his HF unit. He tinkered with it
awhile, but gave up and sold it in a yard sale.

Well, the three gal is only about $40 with sale and
coupon. I've tempted to do the same.

Today I ran it up, and used it to inflate a soft tire
and a water fire extinguisher that takes 100 PSI. This
evening, the question will been out there for 24 hours,
and I'll probably post what I found.

Recall, a couple of years ago, I got it at the lower price.
It is OK but you cannot rely on the machine's pressure gauge to measure
the tire pressure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/11/2014 4:04 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
I'm a generation away from The Great Depression.
We don't throw things away, unless tried to fix
it by self. Some times if I'm forced to buy new,
I'll keep the old for parts.

Hi,
To end up with pile of broken pancake compressors?, LOL!
I have a Campbell Hunsfeld Extreme duty belt driven one.
Main use is working on cars(tire change), blowing irrigation
system in the fall. Lasted many years.

Well, when I die, the funeral home is going
to have some interesting moments.

I had a Campbell pressure washer. The plastic high
pressure housing split, and then it was no good.

I think Walmart sells CH air tools.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/11/2014 6:09 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Did it (a) switch off at 20 psi or (b)keep running?

If (a) Bad pressure shutoff switch.

If (b) Too many things wrong for me to guess.

Jeff

Kept running. In another hour or so, it will been
24 hours, and I'll post what I found.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/11/2014 6:18 PM, Frank wrote:

Recall, a couple of years ago, I got it at the lower price.
It is OK but you cannot rely on the machine's pressure gauge to measure
the tire pressure.

I agree, the gauges are not to be trusted.
Today, I was able to air up a tire (which
is going soft again, and goes to the shop
tomorrow) 40 PSI. And a fire extinguisher
water unit, at 100 PSI.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 14:13:48 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 6/11/2014 1:56 PM, Bob F wrote:
Why would you want to compress your McPancakes. I like my pancakes
light and fluffy.

But, three gal pancakes lasts several days.

You're a Mormon. You have 3 gals?

I'm single, and dating. Politely, and
formally. I'll choose the one who has best
compressed pancakes.

What will you use for syrup; since you used it up washing your hair?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 18:30:34 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I agree, the gauges are not to be trusted.
Today, I was able to air up a tire (which
is going soft again, and goes to the shop
tomorrow) 40 PSI.

That is bad. The compressor won't work and the tire won't hold air.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 6/11/2014 1:56 PM, Bob F wrote:
Why would you want to compress your McPancakes. I like my pancakes
light and fluffy.

But, three gal pancakes lasts several days.

You're a Mormon. You have 3 gals?

I'm single, and dating. Politely, and
formally. I'll choose the one who has best
compressed pancakes.

What will you use for syrup; since you used
it up washing your hair?

Shampoo, silly! I've got plenty of that.

Hey, thanks. Finally the thread drifts. I was
worried for a while.

And then, I'll use my compressor to inflate
my dish of mint chip icecream. Or put out the
fire, whichever.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I agree, the gauges are not to be trusted.
Today, I was able to air up a tire (which
is going soft again, and goes to the shop
tomorrow) 40 PSI.

That is bad. The compressor won't work and the tire won't hold air.

I'm about to blow up at the matter, but I'm
so full of hot air and..... can't win, some
days.

My first car was a 1970 Chevrolet Nova. Yours?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I agree, the gauges are not to be trusted.
Today, I was able to air up a tire (which
is going soft again, and goes to the shop
tomorrow) 40 PSI.

That is bad. The compressor won't work and the tire won't hold air.

I'm about to blow up at the matter, but I'm
so full of hot air and..... can't win, some
days.

My first car was a 1970 Chevrolet Nova. Yours?

Reminds me, mine was a '49 Chevy.
All tires had inner tubes in those days and we got more flats but you
could repair them yourself. Also, all gas stations had free air pumps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 19:11:25 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

My first car was a 1970 Chevrolet Nova. Yours?

A '53 Chevy I bought for $10. I put a new generator, regulator and a
6 volt battery in it. Ran great. The tires held air. In those days
you could drive alone during the day at age 14, at night with a
licensed driver aged 16.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/11/2014 7:30 PM, Frank wrote:
My first car was a 1970 Chevrolet Nova. Yours?

Reminds me, mine was a '49 Chevy.
All tires had inner tubes in those days and we got more flats but you
could repair them yourself. Also, all gas stations had free air pumps.

Did you have to flame the patches? Rubber cement,
and then light it on fire for a moment?

I remember the free air, now days it's those damn
boxes that take quarters. Customer service is so
gone away.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/11/2014 7:39 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/11/2014 7:30 PM, Frank wrote:
My first car was a 1970 Chevrolet Nova. Yours?

Reminds me, mine was a '49 Chevy.
All tires had inner tubes in those days and we got more flats but you
could repair them yourself. Also, all gas stations had free air pumps.

Did you have to flame the patches? Rubber cement,
and then light it on fire for a moment?

I remember the free air, now days it's those damn
boxes that take quarters. Customer service is so
gone away.

Used rubber cement and did flame the patches.
Also remember changing oil every thousand miles and cleaning or
replacing spark plugs every 6 months. Cars had distributors and you
might have to change points and adjust timing. I tossed my timing light
and dwell-tach meter in the Goodwill bag a few years ago not having any
use for them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/11/2014 7:52 PM, Frank wrote:
Used rubber cement and did flame the patches.
Also remember changing oil every thousand miles and cleaning or
replacing spark plugs every 6 months. Cars had distributors and you
might have to change points and adjust timing. I tossed my timing light
and dwell-tach meter in the Goodwill bag a few years ago not having any
use for them.

I had no luck with patches, till someone showed me
to flame the patches. Those patches were some of the
most worthless frieking brain dead useless moron idiots
that ever sucked dirt off the bottom of a toilet bowl.
However, they work better after a good flaming.

Timing light, might been better to list on Amazon or
Ebay, they probably pitch em out at Goodwill, like
analog televisions. Some old car pro out there could
have used it.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HF compressor troubleshooting (solution)

On 6/10/2014 9:32 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

After a couple phone calls to friends, I finally
find the problem which is.....

how many others had the same thing?

In this case, the drain valve on bottom had
gotten open most of a turn, and was leaking
air. Once I figured that out, closed the
valve and the unit runs perfectly again.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 09:37:19 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 6/10/2014 10:01 PM, wrote:

how many others had the same thing?

The valves were all corroded and not sealing???

I'll post the answer later this evening. You've
got analytical mind, too complicated.

I was just going by my experience with another "el cheapo"
compressor........
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 6/11/2014 1:56 PM, Bob F wrote:
Why would you want to compress your McPancakes. I like my pancakes
light and fluffy.

But, three gal pancakes lasts several days.

You're a Mormon. You have 3 gals?

I'm single, and dating. Politely, and
formally. I'll choose the one who has best
compressed pancakes.

Is that the same as the one with the "firmest buns"??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 14:04:10 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

But the new consumer grade CH compressors are pretty much the same
chinese crap that HF sells.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I agree, the gauges are not to be trusted.
Today, I was able to air up a tire (which
is going soft again, and goes to the shop
tomorrow) 40 PSI.

That is bad. The compressor won't work and the tire won't hold air.

I'm about to blow up at the matter, but I'm
so full of hot air and..... can't win, some
days.

My first car was a 1970 Chevrolet Nova. Yours?

first was a '61 Morris Mini 850. Oldest was a '28 Chevy National

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 19:39:33 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 6/11/2014 7:30 PM, Frank wrote:
My first car was a 1970 Chevrolet Nova. Yours?

Reminds me, mine was a '49 Chevy.
All tires had inner tubes in those days and we got more flats but you
could repair them yourself. Also, all gas stations had free air pumps.

Did you have to flame the patches? Rubber cement,
and then light it on fire for a moment?

I remember the free air, now days it's those damn
boxes that take quarters. Customer service is so
gone away.

Finding one around here that will work with a quarter is a long
shot. Some will accept 4 quarters - others require a "looney".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 19:58:12 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 6/11/2014 7:52 PM, Frank wrote:
Used rubber cement and did flame the patches.
Also remember changing oil every thousand miles and cleaning or
replacing spark plugs every 6 months. Cars had distributors and you
might have to change points and adjust timing. I tossed my timing light
and dwell-tach meter in the Goodwill bag a few years ago not having any
use for them.

I had no luck with patches, till someone showed me
to flame the patches. Those patches were some of the
most worthless frieking brain dead useless moron idiots
that ever sucked dirt off the bottom of a toilet bowl.
However, they work better after a good flaming.

Timing light, might been better to list on Amazon or
Ebay, they probably pitch em out at Goodwill, like
analog televisions. Some old car pro out there could
have used it.

I get to use mine every once in a while. A couple friends have some
oldies - Old VWs, '53 MG, Fiat 700, and the like.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 20:39:27 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 6/10/2014 9:32 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

After a couple phone calls to friends, I finally
find the problem which is.....

how many others had the same thing?

In this case, the drain valve on bottom had
gotten open most of a turn, and was leaking
air. Once I figured that out, closed the
valve and the unit runs perfectly again.

That, at least, should have been a "no brainer" unless you are stone
deaf.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/10/2014 9:32 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

After a couple phone calls to friends, I finally
find the problem which is.....

how many others had the same thing?

In this case, the drain valve on bottom had
gotten open most of a turn, and was leaking
air. Once I figured that out, closed the
valve and the unit runs perfectly again.

Hmm,
Some one(may be you) drained the tank and forgot to close it?
Do you have memory lapse problem lately?, LOL!