Posted to alt.home.repair

Default compressor repair

I need some ideas on how to repair my air compressor please.

There is a small tube that comes out of the tank side of the compressor
and goes into the housing where the guages and regulator are. I assume
this is how the regulator knows what the air pressure in the tank is
and also displays it on the guage. The plastic nipple on the housing
of the regulator that the hose attaches to has broken off and the hose
just flaps in the breeze. The result of all this is that the
compressor just runs continuously and never stores enough pressure to
even fill up a bicycle tire, much less a car tire. If I hold my thumb
on the open side of the hose long enough, it allows the tank to fill up
enough for a short while to blow up basketballs and bikes.

I have tried gluing the nipple back on with super glue and epoxy but
that doesn't hold well enough. I have tried a couple of other small
items but have been unsuccessful with those also. The problem is the
point at where it attaches is a plastic casing and the hole where the
air enters is probably 1/16" wide.

Short of buying a new compressor are there any ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 8:51*am, "badgolferman"
wrote:
[...]

Every compressor I've seen there has been only one connection between
tank and regulator and that is the one that supplies the air, not some
additional small one for measuring pressure purposes. Without a
picture, I think it's going to be hard to give much advice. Have you
tried going to the manufacturer's website and seeing if parts are
orderable? Or if this is a standard fitting, could you replace it
with another off the shelf one? Buy a new cheap regulator?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 15, 7:51*am, "badgolferman"
wrote:
[...]

That might be an unloader that permits the compressor to start without
having any retained pressure in the system. Whatever, if the nipple is
a molded on part, you need to buy a complete new regulator and hose
assembly from the manufacturer. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

That's an unloader line. The unloader lets the pressure off the line
between the actul compressor and the tank so it will be able to start
again.

If it's big enough to tap and put a nipple in you might fix it that
way. Otherwise you will have to replace that assembly. Parts are
available for most major brands.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 11:43:54 -0700, jamesgangnc wrote:
If it's big enough to tap and put a nipple in you might fix it that way.

That was my thought, too - maybe there's enough material in the body to
drill into and either screw something in, or at least glue (with it
fitting "into" the body it would hopefully be a little stronger than the
problems the OP had with something just glued to the outside)

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:
I need some ideas on how to repair my air compressor please.

What kind of air compressor? Make, model....

There is a small tube that comes out of the tank side of the
compressor

Do you mean it comes out of the tank itself? ?????????????

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Assuming there is room: You'll probably have to drill a new hole or minimum,
tap/retap the tank and replace it with a metal nipple. Bring it to your
friendly hardware helper and ask for advice; they'll usually help. Bring the
broken part with you and a sketch of its application is it's not clearly
understandable from the part itself.

HTH,

Twayne`

In ,
Jon Danniken typed:
badgolferman wrote:
[...]

Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
But always verify important information with
other sources to be certain you have a clear
understanding of it and that it is accurate.