Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

Default Pancake Compressor Repair?

Anyone had any luck repairing a Porter Cable pancake?

Sounds like the compressor/pump, as the motor runs, but more like a sewing
machine, and no air feeding the tank.

http://www.mastertoolrepair.com/panc...mp-p-1124.html

The parts, if they're indeed the correct ones, look pretty straightforward.

Just wondered if anyone had tried this and found it cost effective (I have
another AC, but I hate to just junk something that could be put back in
service for the kind of prices listed above)

Thanks in advance.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS

"Swingman" wrote in message
Anyone had any luck repairing a Porter Cable pancake?

Sounds like the compressor/pump, as the motor runs, but more like a sewing
machine, and no air feeding the tank.

http://www.mastertoolrepair.com/panc...mp-p-1124.html

The parts, if they're indeed the correct ones, look pretty
straightforward.

Just wondered if anyone had tried this and found it cost effective (I have
another AC, but I hate to just junk something that could be put back in
service for the kind of prices listed above)

Thanks in advance.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Not torn apart an oiless one (yet) but it appears you have nothing to loose
but some time to disassemble it and find out what parts are needed. When you
know that, then only you can judge if its cost effective or not. What's your
time worth versus just chucking it and getting a new one?

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

Swingman wrote:
Anyone had any luck repairing a Porter Cable pancake?

I did overhear a discussion not long ago that one exactly like
yours/mine was repaired by sticking in a couple of new valves...they're
like reed valves.
IF.. and I mean IF the parts are available, I would love to see a
play-by-play repair method.
Please share whatever you can find... I'm on the job seeing what I can
find.

Regardless, I think ...again IF the parts are available, it is a unit
worth saving. It is a good little pump.

----. who was wondering when those units were going to **** the bed.

I'm sure hoping this is going to be one of those good threads.

again

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mort Stevens

The best advice I've ever seen was this; "The vulnerable part of any
compressor pump is the valves. It's generally a good idea to buy a
valve and gasket kit when you buy the compressor. You'll need them
ten years in the future on Christmas Eve when the compressor dies just
before you need to apply the final coat of lacquer on the blanket chest
intended for your about-to-be-married granddaughter."

Mort

Swingman wrote:
Anyone had any luck repairing a Porter Cable pancake?

Sounds like the compressor/pump, as the motor runs, but more like a sewing
machine, and no air feeding the tank.

http://www.mastertoolrepair.com/panc...mp-p-1124.html

The parts, if they're indeed the correct ones, look pretty straightforward.

Just wondered if anyone had tried this and found it cost effective (I have
another AC, but I hate to just junk something that could be put back in
service for the kind of prices listed above)

Thanks in advance.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke

Mort Stevens wrote:

The best advice I've ever seen was this; "The vulnerable part of any
compressor pump is the valves. It's generally a good idea to buy a
valve and gasket kit when you buy the compressor. You'll need them
ten years in the future on Christmas Eve when the compressor dies just
before you need to apply the final coat of lacquer on the blanket chest
intended for your about-to-be-married granddaughter."

By which time you will have not the slightest clue what you did with the
valve and gasket kit when you put them somewhere that you would be sure to
be able to find them.

Mort

Swingman wrote:
Anyone had any luck repairing a Porter Cable pancake?

Sounds like the compressor/pump, as the motor runs, but more like a
sewing machine, and no air feeding the tank.

http://www.mastertoolrepair.com/panc...mp-p-1124.html

The parts, if they're indeed the correct ones, look pretty
straightforward.

Just wondered if anyone had tried this and found it cost effective (I
have another AC, but I hate to just junk something that could be put back
in service for the kind of prices listed above)

Thanks in advance.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Mort Stevens" wrote in message ...

The best advice I've ever seen was this; "The vulnerable part of any
compressor pump is the valves. It's generally a good idea to buy a
valve and gasket kit when you buy the compressor. You'll need them
ten years in the future on Christmas Eve when the compressor dies just
before you need to apply the final coat of lacquer on the blanket chest
intended for your about-to-be-married granddaughter."

Good advice ... it was the first thing I was going to check when I get it
apart. I'd love to save the thing for the cost of a set of valves just on
principle alone.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06