Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
frick

Default Compressor tank - repair or replace?

Our little Senco compressor has developed a small leak in the tank.

Would it be safe for me to silver solder a patch on it, or should I
just cut my losses and get a new compressor?

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard J Kinch

frick writes:

Would it be safe for me to silver solder a patch on it, or should I
just cut my losses and get a new compressor?

If the process that led to this leak will lead to others soon, then
patching is futile. Cf Matthew 9:16.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This has been discussed here in the past with a virtually unanimous
recommendation: Don't repair it!

Odds are that the tank now has other weak spots which make the whole
repair proposition iffy, possibly dangerous.

You can use a propane tank to make a new air receiver (tank). This
also has been discussed in this forum.

Alternatively you can get one welded up from standard pipe and pipe
caps, by a certified welding shop.

Just do a little searching!

To reiterate: Do not repair, but replace.

Wolfgang

frick wrote:
Our little Senco compressor has developed a small leak in the tank.

Would it be safe for me to silver solder a patch on it, or should I
just cut my losses and get a new compressor?

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

Yes, used compressor tanks of unknown pedigree, clearly neglected.

Ignoramus17661 wrote:
I agree with Wolfgang, but want to add that compressor tanks can be
found for next to nothing, if one looks long enough. (look for ads
such as "compressor, missing parts").

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Dunning

I usually go buy a six pack of beer in aluminum cans, and a blister pack of
JB weld (unless I have both available already).

Drink a beer while degreasing, removing paint and roughing up the area
around the leak.
Cut the beer can open and flatten it out.
Cut a patch that has an inch of overlap on all sides of theleak
Do this before the second beer to avoid blood on the project.
Rough up the aluminum on the JB weld side.
I usually like to leave the beer logo visible for a touch of class.

Mix up a wad of JB weld and smear it on the leak and area around it.
Smear some on the aluminum.
Put the patch on and leave it alone for two days.

If the compressor is still running when the patch fails ( I haven't had one
fail yet), them you can re-evaluate your options.

This type of patch works great for gas tanks, too.

Mark (Love Modern Chemicals) Dunning

"frick" wrote in message
oups.com...
Our little Senco compressor has developed a small leak in the tank.

Would it be safe for me to silver solder a patch on it, or should I
just cut my losses and get a new compressor?

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike

Depending where you are at....free sometimes even.....

http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/zip/165755083.html
Junior Member

my problem with using the beer can patch is that my work aint too good after drinking the beer