Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My floors sound like a shot-gun!

Is this something I should worry about? When the nights are cold, the hardwood floor, especially on the second floor, start to POP like a shot gun. Maybe 5 pops during the course of the night. I've had the floors installed since 2009, no noise since then, just this year. Is there something I can do to stop it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dom wrote:
Is this something I should worry about? When the nights are cold, the hardwood floor, especially on the second floor, start to POP like a shot gun. Maybe 5 pops during the course of the night. I've had the floors installed since 2009, no noise since then, just this year. Is there something I can do to stop it?

Hi,
Humidity problem? (too dry in the house or too humid)
Second floor is drier than main floor usually.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 May 2014 12:29:10 -0700 (PDT), Dom
wrote:

Is this something I should worry about? When the nights are cold, the hardwood floor, especially on the second floor, start to POP like a shot gun. Maybe 5 pops during the course of the night. I've had the floors installed since 2009, no noise since then, just this year. Is there something I can do to stop it?

My house talks to me when seasons change. I go back to sleep. I'm not
about to worry where to find or fix the noise in the house framing.
--
"Dodgeball in Burkas" -- Greg Gutfeld
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dom" wrote in message

Is this something I should worry about? When the nights are cold, the
hardwood floor, especially on the second floor, start to POP like a shot
gun. Maybe 5 pops during the course of the night. I've had the floors
installed since 2009, no noise since then, just this year. Is there
something I can do to stop it?

Put out a pan or two of water, maybe bump the heat too. That may
help...what you hear is the wood shrinking and something is trying to
overcome that...whenthe wood wins, POP.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 19, 2014 4:16:35 PM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:
Dom wrote:

Is this something I should worry about? When the nights are cold, the hardwood floor, especially on the second floor, start to POP like a shot gun. Maybe 5 pops during the course of the night. I've had the floors installed since 2009, no noise since then, just this year. Is there something I can do to stop it?

Hi,

Humidity problem? (too dry in the house or too humid)

Second floor is drier than main floor usually.

That's a possibile factor. If he doesn't have a humidifier,
in winter it's going to dry out, which isn't going to help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, everyone. I was starting to worry that the house was falling in on me. I'll just ignore it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 May 2014 17:28:58 -0700 (PDT), Dom
wrote:

Thanks, everyone. I was starting to worry that the house was falling in on me. I'll just ignore it.

I agree. When the house collapses on you, get worried.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is this something I should worry about? When the nights are cold, the hardwood floor, especially on the second floor, start to POP like a shot gun. Maybe 5 pops during the course of the night. I've had the floors installed since 2009, no noise since then, just this year. Is there something I can do to stop it?

The workers who did your floor may have accidentally enclosed cicada
pupae in your floor, and now they have matured enough to want out.

Specifically, I would suspect the "five-year gunslinger cicada". It has
some unusual organ on its side which not only sounds like a gun, and
looks like a gun, it shoots like a gun, and is used by them to kill
other cicadas that are looking to mate. They have even been known to
shoot a male in the process of mating, and then take up where the
now-dead cicada left off. The female seems not to notice the
difference. If you could get video of this, I know you could sell it,
but you'd need to pry up a lot of the boards, use ultra-violet light and
ultra-violet film. And find out the proper way to open the floor,
because if you do it wrong, they'll hide for weeks.

Hmm. They've been trying to get pictures of this since long before film
was less popular, so if you only use digital, you'll need a camera that
is ultra-violet responsive (UVR) . (If you use plain old white light,
the cicadas will freeze and appear to be wood shavings. )

It's been said that the female cicadas poison the other females in order
to have the choice of males, but this may be an insect legend.

That's all I remember, but I see that if you google gunslinger cicada
there is plenty of info, including on movie-making. That's what you
should do first.